It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Complaint about my driving

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I was working on Saturday and there was a snowstorm combined with 70-80 km/hr wind gusts, it made for great driving conditions.

Less then 5 miles from my house, there was a car in the ditch. I put on my hazards, pulled right over ( I could feel the rumble strips on the driver side) and got out. I repeated this 3 times that day.

On the third time, it was on a more busy highway, I did the same procedure as listed above. Even before I could get out a car came flying out of the whiteness, honking their horn. I honked back. I then got out of the vehicle and went to check to make sure no one was in there/everyone was okay.

Obviously, if there is a blizzard stopping on the hwy isn't the smartest move, but, if there were people in there, I would really appreciate help if it was me, so I couldn't just keep going on my way.

I just got a call from my boss, telling me that there was a complaint, and that they said I was in the driving lane parked there and they had to swerve around me. He said that he doesn't believe that I would do that. My rant isn't about him as he is just doing his job by following up on the complaint.

My rant is about this moron that was driving waaay too fast for the weather conditions then feels it is his God given right to complain because I did something that he/she wouldn't even dream of doing. Helping another person.

As a result of this idiot, I was told that unless I see it or if anyone is hurt, I am not to pull over anymore. I don't live in a major city, in fact, I live 45 mins away from one. So I am going to apologize to anyone that I drive by in advance. Unless I see you have an accident, or I am sure that someone is hurt, I will not risk my career to make sure you are okay...maybe.

I'm not looking for people to tell me I'm right or wrong as I have already made my decision and I stick by it. I just needed to get this off my chest as I live in a small community and I am sure I know who it was and I don't want to cause any more bad feelings.
Thanks.
edit on 4-2-2013 by superman2012 because: spelling

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Keep on fighting the good fight on every level. You sound like a good guy so it would probably bother you if you learned that the car you had passed by had passengers that wee seriously hurt etc either from impact or the elements.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

I'm not that good of a guy, I was kind of hoping that the other vehicle would be in the ditch further up and I could just drive by (as long as it looked like they went straight in) to teach them a lesson.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Okay, so in generality you did something human (caring for others). Someone else mistook your intention for being a hazard. You got warned and reminded to only do something human (while being a bit dangerous for you and others) if it is clearly in need to be done.

Please stay your course and don't become inhumane! Forget those rules, they are there to protect the company, but not the humanity!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I get it. Alberta's the same way. Over aggressive drivers passing people in snow storms when they can't see what's coming.
My husband drives a semi hauling those double tanks, filled with explosive gas product, and he gets cut off by stupid drivers constantly. They'll pull out right on front of him on slippery roads, and he can't suddenly stop or even slow.

The other day we were behind a snow plow in our pickup, he was still keeping 100 kph, but was producing a massive snow cloud. The guy behind us decided to pass us, because we were keeping space due to no visibility, and an oncoming car just missed him by inches. You can't see lights of oncoming vehicles, or the rear lights of the person in front of you.

If you see someone in the ditch and it's really cold, you should probably make a note of where they are and call someone when you get a chance. And hope they have their winter box with them.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

If ever I am in an accident or find myself stranded on the highway,I hope you are the one who stops.There is not enough people like you in this world today.Thank you in advance.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by mardukiscoming

That's exactly the reason why I stopped. I know that I will need help one day, and if no one stops for them, why should they stop for me?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

lol, I know...that's why I did this:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Yes, that is pretty much exactly what my boss stated, and I agree with it. I can keep on driving and do this if I am sure that there are adults in the vehicle, but, unless I know for sure, I assume that the adult got knocked out and there is a little kid in the back. Then I can't do that. If I didn't think of the worst possible scenario and if I could live with myself for not taking action, then I probably would be as blinded as that idiot that doesn't care about his safety or anyone elses as he/she travels fast in just about zero visibility.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Driving too fast for conditions is against the law in every state. Here in Michigan the police are starting to warn us more and soon the tickets will fly. People are ignorant of safety nowadays. They think the four wheel drives and antilocks will keep them safe. Neither does any good when your going to fast in whiteout conditions. Neither does good when you are on black ice. Most accidents I see here are four wheel drive vehicles that were going too fast for conditions.

In the near future this ignorance of safety will be gone and those who cause an accident by going to fast for conditions will see a severe increase in their insurance rates. Being a good Samaritan is becoming a bad thing in today's society I guess. Be careful when stopping like that, put your flashers on so slower moving considerate people will have time to stop.

The time of blaming the Good Samaritan and conservative people for their cautious and helpful actions is going to end this year. Even the police are getting tired of this. It will take the insurance companies to get this going. Another thing is the hitting of a deer on the road. If there is deer in the area a person is supposed to slow down and be a little more observant. Accidents happen but we are supposed to be paying attention to try to avoid them. It doesn't matter if the other person pulled in front of you, you shouldn't be going that fast that you couldn't stop in an emergency if needed. What's the point of being in the right in the accident if you are crippled for the rest of your life. Insurance companies will deny all claims and make you prove that you are truly hurt in an accident then they will use anything they can dig up against you against you. This intimidation is standard in the insurance industry. It's easier to just avoid accidents than to be going through court and dealing with a lawyer.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Sorry, when I said hazards, I meant flashers.

I agree with what you've typed. I wish that people would be able to actually think, and realize that if they were in the ditch they would want someone to stop and help.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Once I was cut off 5 times in rush hour buy the same goof in a pick up truck I got mad and finally blasted my air horn at him . He got the company number off the side of the truck phoned in saying I was driving 100 kph in and out of traffic . Made my boss at the time laugh then he chewed out the guy making the complaint . Knowing full well of the road driving on it is damn near impossible to even get to the speed limit with the constant stop and go of rush hour on the on the yellowhead highway threw edmonton ( seems alot of canadians in this thread ) in a loaded gravel truck .

I would love to see peoples insurance brokers numbers on their cars , as it really does bother me so much to have to pay in to a pool for these people in their cars and small trucks who are constantly driving recklessly and speeding threw construction sites .

OP you did the right thing not many people really care about anyone one else when they are driving in their cars on the way home from work . People just like to complain and seem try to get people fired because really in all honestly you made them look stupid when they were being stupid . Funny how they will never see it as that sadly .

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

Sorry, when I said hazards, I meant flashers.

I agree with what you've typed. I wish that people would be able to actually think, and realize that if they were in the ditch they would want someone to stop and help.

There is actually a law out there that requires us to stop at the scene of an accident or to contact the police so they can. I guess this law is not understood by many people.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

There is actually a law out there that requires us to stop at the scene of an accident or to contact the police so they can. I guess this law is not understood by many people.

Commonsense and decency and respect are sadly not undertood by many people

ETA you are right the majority of people in the ditch are people in suvs and small trucks . they think they are invincible .
edit on 4/2/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
In the late 90's my fiance and our 3 kids ( ages 2, 3, and 5 were driving up to see my family. A very bad storm hit us while driving. Rain coming down in sheets. I could barely see the road. Out of the corner of my eye i thought i saw a car go off the highway. I asked my fiance if she saw it but she said no. I dared not pull over to check as that would put everyone in danger since visibility was extremely poor. About a year later i read a story about a woman that ran off the road down into a bunch of trees and bush's. She was there for a week or so before they found her. She lived through the ordeal thankfully. I believe to this day that it was her I saw run off the road. It haunts me to this day. I should have gone with my gut instincts and at least pulled into the next gas station and reported it to police. It was several miles to the next off ramp and I could not see the mile marker signs so i kept going with my precious cargo. Regrets, I hate regrets. I help everyone i can now. I couldn't care less if i got in trouble for helping someone in need. Regrets haunt us for the rest of our lives. I will not stack anymore regrets onto the ones that already haunt me.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

At least you learned from your experience. You also put your family before someone else, I would have too. I was by myself and only put myself in danger. I would say I put the other person in danger, but, the idiot had already been doing it by speeding in a whiteout for who knows how long.

I will continue helping people as I see them...isn't that what Superman does?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

There is no such law in Canada, but, there should be. Even if you don't have any training to help anyone physically, being there and talking to them until the help you called arrives, can be very comforting to them.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

You sound great. Well done, I like people like you, we need more like you.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

No good deed goes unpunished---

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I was reminded of this video when I read your post:

People who drive recklessly in poor weather conditions put lives at risk. Period.

Good on you OP. I used to stop almost anytime I saw someone off the road or with their hazards on, until I got threatened with a tire iron for checking on a vehicle that was apparently crashed by a drunk driver who didnt want the cops to show up.

Changed my perception a little bit.

I give you nothing but credit though-helping others is what we should all strive to do every single day.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join