It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans kill animals then they eat them(true story)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
If humans didn't eat animals then humans would have died off a long long time ago.

True story.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

sentient |ˈsenCH(ē)ənt|
adjective
able to perceive or feel things
ORIGIN early 17th cent.: from Latin sentient- ‘feeling,’ from the verb sentire .

The ability to experience pain in an animal, or another human for that matter, cannot be determined directly but it may be inferred through analogous physiological and behavioral reactions.[15] Although many animals share similar mechanisms of pain detection to those of humans, have similar areas of the brain involved in processing pain, and show similar pain behaviours, it is notoriously difficult to assess how animals actually experience pain.[16]

Nociception
Nociceptive nerves, which preferentially detect (potential) injury-causing stimuli, have been identified in a variety of animals, including invertebrates. The medicinal leech, Hirudo medicinalis, and sea slug are classic model systems for studying nociception.[16] Many other vertebrate and invertebrate animals also show nociceptive reflex responses similar to our own.

Pain
Many animals also exhibit more complex behavioural and physiological changes indicative of the ability to experience pain: they eat less food, their normal behaviour is disrupted, their social behaviour is suppressed, they may adopt unusual behaviour patterns, they may emit characteristic distress calls, experience respiratory and cardiovascular changes, as well as inflammation and release of stress hormones.[16]

Some criteria that may indicate the potential of another species to feel pain include:[17]

- Has a suitable nervous system and sensory receptors
- Physiological changes to noxious stimuli
- Displays protective motor reactions that might include reduced use of an affected area such as limping, rubbing, holding or autotomy
- Has opioid receptors and shows reduced responses to noxious stimuli when given analgesics and local anaesthetics
- Shows trade-offs between stimulus avoidance and other motivational requirements
- Shows avoidance learning
- High cognitive ability and sentience

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by gosseyn

Did you know that human beings actually KILL other animals to EAT them ? Don't you find that disgusting ? They even have built factories to INDUSTRIALISE the process of killing the other sentient animals and chop them in small portions that they pack in plastic. WOW. At first I didn't want to believe it but I have seen the proofs. It's 100% true. They eat dead corpses of animals that are made of exactly the same stuff as them, and almost every human being find that this is totally normal. They even encourage their own LITTLE CHILDREN to eat dead corpses of other sentient beings, imagine that... I mean, what do they have in mind ?? Can't they just think for one second ? I am truly out of words..

......and we eat plants and they also have consciousness.... and I'm sure you eat tomatoes and potatoes and lettuce and strawberries and cut grass........ cripes you do that < ---- I am truly out of words........

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I don't think many vegetarians would argue that. I wouldn't. I wish people would keep it in context to today, and where said person is located. Of course it was a necessity then....the position of (some) vegetarians is that it doesn't necessarily need to be one now.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

we can all agree that slaughter houses are wrong. but eating meat you respect. oh so right

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

The ability to experience pain in an animal, or another human for that matter, cannot be determined directly but it may be inferred through analogous physiological and behavioral reactions.[15] Although many animals share similar mechanisms of pain detection to those of humans, have similar areas of the brain involved in processing pain, and show similar pain behaviours, it is notoriously difficult to assess how animals actually experience pain.

I don't disagree with any of that. Not only do feel that doesn't negate what I have been conveying, rather I think it supports it. My point is not concerning that difficulty. That difficulty seems to speak of the objectivity of it. I'm attempting to show people perceive varying degrees of it with varying animals, regardless of whether it's objectively true. Hence the argument of 'plant' murder' seems erroneous, as people don't "infer through physiological and behavioral reactions" as they clearly do with mammals for instance.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Seventeen flags and climbing, all the while amazing inventions and discoveries go down the pipe, ignored by the masses.

So far that means 18 people just realized where their meat comes from.

Congratulations. Next you will learn where your milk comes from (Hint: Not a carton)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CrypticSouthpaw

we can all agree that slaughter houses are wrong. but eating meat you respect. oh so right

My hope and desire is not for people to convert to vegetarianism. It's that the food industry is revolutionized and animals used for food are done so much more humanely. Honestly

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by gosseyn

Didn't crawl to the top of the food chain to eat grass!!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by NorEaster

I would name many and many based on that definition.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Earlier when I was playing fetch with a dog I got the overwhelming feeling of consciousness from the dog.

I see. Well, just don't start shooting people if the damn thing tells you to. Dogs probably don't have much of a capacity for examining a situation and accurately determining the direct and projected ramifications inherent in a specific course of action. Then again, they don't have a clue about past, present, or future, or how such stuff works when factoring through a suite of available options, so there you are.

I'm probably wasting my time here with this exchange. You go ahead and exist on an intellectual par with all the dogs in the neighborhood. Who am I to tell you how to live. You'll probably be much happier in the long run anyway.

Y'know what, Loony? I'm going to submit to your definition of sentience and admit that the better word for what delineates the human being from other beings on this planet is sapience (hence the name Homo Sapiens for the material phase of the version of human being that we are). You win. A dog is sentient, and even though I don't eat dogs, I chow right the f*ck down on sentient beings as much as I can, and I love eating them tasty little devils.

I normally hate semantics, but this thread helped me get my terminology straight concerning the human being and all the other slabs of meat that litter this rock from one end to the other. I'm pretty grateful.

edit on 2/4/2013 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

I hope you are prepared to defend this definition of sentient in the case of unborn fetuses which recoil from pain when probed with needles.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
Seventeen flags and climbing, all the while amazing inventions and discoveries go down the pipe, ignored by the masses.

Congratulations. Next you will learn where your milk comes from (Hint: Not a carton)

I would love to meet that first guy who took a look at a cow and said "I don't know what's in that bag, but whatever it is, I'm going to drink it." Odds are he was drunk as hell at the time.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Cows don't have to die to produce milk however. Milk should be better appreciated by the vegan crowd. Instead they tell us we have to get our calcium from plants.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

I'm probably wasting my time here with this exchange. You go ahead and exist on an intellectual par with all the dogs in the neighborhood.

Wow where did that come from? And thanks for not ready pretty much all my other posts. Exist on intellectual par?
I never said or suggested that! Nor did I say they were equivalent on the ability to suffer. My whole point has been we attribute varying degrees of it to animals and people and rocks, etc. Did you miss the post where I said I attribute more worth to humans? And that if people need to eat meat out of necessity they should. Seriously it's like you just invented a position for me... My posts have mostly been in context to the omnivores here posing the question to the vegetarians "why do you kill plants". I am very open to discussion, I only ask you read my posts and try to appreciate my actual position.
edit on 4-2-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

link   
Plants seem to reply differently when humans approach it with the intent to care for it, or the intent to eat or kill it for some other reason. So you see an apple tree growing wild and you eye a ripe apple, hanging on the tree.

The tree will respond differently if the apple was still prt of the tree then if it had already fallen off. There have been studies done on small plans and this seems consistent in relation to an analogy.

In the case of animals a n issue that comes up from time to to time, is the matter of Adrenalin. You see it is asserted that when an animal dies by slaughter or in the wild? it releases Adrenalin during the time of death and that because of that it saturates the meat on is eating. Of course Adrenalin can act as a poison in such circumstances where one eats meat raw. Cooked even in relation to medium rare adrenalin breaks down but if you are worried about exposure. "Medium well," will kill pretty much any potential threat in relation to bacteria and viruses.

Meat is a really good source for protein and relevant to human survival . I mean would you rather die of starvation (which by the way is extremely painful) or eat eat a rib eye if that was all the food there was?

link   

Sorry my friend, what ever put me on this planet put that orange tree and that dog on this planet too. It's not up to me to decide which is worthy of becoming a pile of my excrement. I belong to the same system as the tree and the dog. Plant my carcass next to the tree and the tree would gain from me. If the dog is hungry enough, he would eat me. If I am hungry enough, I would eat either one.

However if someone believes they can decide what is or isn't moral food or they feel a need to facilitate a clean conscience at lunch time, that is their right. Happy digestion. I do not see it as evil, just convoluted.

I am not sure on the murdering vegetables thing though. The concept of murder is pretty much a human construct.
edit on 4-2-2013 by ABNARTY because: addition

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

I never suggested meat-eaters were evil.

Thanks for supporting my choice, I truly do support yours. We should all of us think about it and decide on what makes the most sense.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

Originally posted by ThinkingCap

I would love to meet that first guy who took a look at a cow and said "I don't know what's in that bag, but whatever it is, I'm going to drink it." Odds are he was drunk as hell at the time.

"What just fell out of that chickens butt? I think we should eat it!!!"

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

What do you want me to address?

That I cut my grass because I have to because if I don't my neighbourhood would frown upon it, snakes would inhabit it making it unsafe for my children to play in, and ultimately it would lead to my front and backyard becoming a mini nature reserve, along with the fire danger it would cause.....and in turn the demands by the local council to cut it due to it being fire danger season?

Yes, I cut my grass. It's a necessary evil. I trim tree branches. Yes I grow my vegetables and then eat them, a necessary evil and yes I buy my meat from a free range organic store knowing that it is a necessary evil to provide my children with healthy, tasty food.

This is ridiculous. I'm pointing out that plants show much of what animals show when malnourished and suffering. Ending an animals life is no different than ending a plants life, fruit not inclusive. It's not murder but the ending of its life-cycle by our hand for our benefit, whether plant or animal.
edit on 4-2-2013 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
If humans didn't eat animals then humans would have died off a long long time ago.

True story.

This is true. Animals are like having a fridge. You can feed them the grains of the spring/summer, then slaughter them to excise the stored energy from the vegetation.

Otherwise, all you are left with is mushy, spoiled vegetables (unless hard tack if your cup of tea. In that case, you can have mine, too).

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join