It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vets: YOU Are The Ones That Have The Most To Fear

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
Quite true...but then there is this as well from the current Administration.

www.washingtontimes.com...

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said Wednesday that she was briefed before the release of a controversial intelligence assessment and that she stands by the report, which lists returning veterans among terrorist risks to the U.S.

Could she have a point....maybe, There are nutjobs in every segment of society, but I still find it disturbing as well.
edit on 4-2-2013 by TDawgRex because: I guess it's time to hit the hay.

lol, this is literally "old news"

DHS has a lot of types of people on that list....gun owners, libertarians, returning vets, ron paul supporters, conspiracy theorists (smile for echelon and Carnivore, everybody..)

and that's just to name a few...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
The question TPTB must consider is "How do you think active duty military members will feel when they see veterans being harassed and targeted, knowing that they too will be veterans one day?"

the naive kids will think "oh, that'll never happen to me", the seasoned troops will think "hey, wait, that's not really cool", but they'll be too distracted to do anything, and the officers will think "i'm career, i've got nothing to worry about. that CAN'T happen to me"
edit on 5-2-2013 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
This doesn't make sense. If they were going to target vets, why would they let vets keep their military style assault weapons?

I think this is paranoia taken to an extreme. And vets aren't some mindless bunch of unthinking morons. They don't think with one mind, just as any other group. People have different opinions on these things, regardless whether they were in the military or not.

they're starting to disarm them already...i've read reports of vets being involuntarily institutionalized, released, and then denied access to firearms. it's a massive scam...

this is not paranoia taken to an extreme...this is the writing on the wall being highlighted, for all to see...unfortunately, it seems the rose tint through which you see the world around you has kept from seeing all but the most important things...

stay oblivious, my friend....they'll get you too, eventually..

I think they've already gotten to her. Did you notice that she included the stock phrase "military style assault weapons"? That's inidicative of having taken a huge draught of the kool aid.

They don't "let them keep" anything at all, much less assault weapons. If a vet gets and assault weapon, he's got to get it on his own, pay for it on his own, and register it as a class III weapon on his own, just like everyone else. "They" aren't "letting them keep" any damned thing at all beyond their DD-214 and a pretty uniform to hang in the closet with a bunch of cute ribbons and shiny things on it.

Furthermore, ALL "assault weapons" are "military style". That's who invented them. There is no need or sense in using the redundant phraesology - other than as a stock phrase used as a scare tactic.

Those cute little black-rifle AR-15's we hear so much about are "military style", but ARE NOT "assault weapons". Assault weapons are, by definition, selective fire. AR-15's are not. They LOOK like an M-16, but they ARE NOT one.

That kool aid may taste good, but I don't want any of it.

edit on 2013/2/5 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus

Quite true...but then there is this as well from the current Administration.

www.washingtontimes.com...

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said Wednesday that she was briefed before the release of a controversial intelligence assessment and that she stands by the report, which lists returning veterans among terrorist risks to the U.S.

Could she have a point....maybe, There are nutjobs in every segment of society, but I still find it disturbing as well.
edit on 4-2-2013 by TDawgRex because: I guess it's time to hit the hay.

lol, this is literally "old news"

DHS has a lot of types of people on that list....gun owners, libertarians, returning vets, ron paul supporters, conspiracy theorists (smile for echelon and Carnivore, everybody..)

and that's just to name a few...

They could have made the list shorter, saved paper, and avoided killing trees by simply writing "Not politicians, but everyone else".

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
I think they've already gotten to her. Did you notice that she included the stock phrase "military style assault weapons"? That's inidicative of having taken a huge draught of the kool aid.

They don't "let them keep" anything at all, much less assault weapons. If a vet gets and assault weapon, he's got to get it on his own, pay for it on his own, and register it as a class III weapon on his own, just like everyone else. "They" aren't "letting them keep" any damned thing at all beyond their DD-214 and a pretty uniform to hang in the closet with a bunch of cute ribbons and shiny things on it.

Furthermore, ALL "assault weapons" are "military style". That's who invented them. There is no need or sense in using the redundant phraesology - other than as a stock phrase used as a scare tactic.

Those cute little black-rifle AR-15's we hear so much about are "military style", but ARE NOT "assault weapons". Assault weapons are, by definition, selective fire. AR-15's are not. They LOOK like an M-16, but they ARE NOT one.

That kool aid may taste good, but I don't want any of it.

edit on 2013/2/5 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

What i meant by "they'll get you too, eventually" was "you'll end up in a camp or dead", because let's face it, anyone on here is probably on a list of some sort, even if they never said anything bad...guilt by association, and all that...

and yeah, i noticed the anti-gun rhetoric, and i REALLY wanted to touch upon that, because that kind of ignorant s**t REALLY annoys me, but i felt it would only serve to turn this into a gun debate, and we have a few of those up on here already, so i didn't wanna disrespect the OP by derailing the thread.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

probably because in general the armed forces of this country have become mercanaries, no respect for people who kill for money.

same thing terrorists do.

there are no just wars.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Leave us alone and you have nothing to worry about from me. Keep pushing and pissing us off then I am the least of your problems.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~

probably because in general the armed forces of this country have become mercanaries, no respect for people who kill for money.

there are no just wars.

Oh yeah. Such a lucrative pursuit too. 20,000 bucks a year is definitely in par with what real mercenaries make for sure.

Jesus do you people listen to yourselves?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Yes, Damn those Military Members and their filthy lucre.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

That's for a deployed PV2 or PFC. If you're in garrison your end of year tax returns will state very differently.

My yearly was just north of 19000. Not exactly lucrative business for the job I do.
edit on 6-2-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

there are no just wars.

I'm one of your "mercenaries" - or was, anyhow. I can't say that you're going to catch me crying or begging anyone for their "respect" over it. I got paid, and that was enough. It was always funny to me how we are the dregs of society, the "whores of wars", something to be scraped off your shoe in good times... but my God how quickly we turn to gold when it's YOUR ass is in a crack and YOUR back against a wall!

Mercenaries - or National Service Soldiers, for that matter - would all be out of a job if you folks would quit pissing everyone else off, then running to them to haul YOUR ass out of that sling YOU made. Yet you some how find the temerity to look down your nose at us, after YOU pay us to deal with the unpleasantries in life that you can't deal with yourself.

Are you seriously claiming that the primary motivation of terrorists is money? Really?

Since there are no just wars, next time you're in a bind, don't bother us with it. We're busy with important stuff. There's fishing to be done. Thanks for the money to get my fishing rod. Just poke a flower in your opponent's gun barrel, and see how far you get with that. Maybe you can negotiate your way out of a beheading, or pay 'em off to leave you be. Best of luck to ya.

edit on 2013/2/6 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

there are no just wars.

Oh yeah. Such a lucrative pursuit too. 20,000 bucks a year is definitely in par with what real mercenaries make for sure.

Jesus do you people listen to yourselves?

Not all, but the vast majority of guys who go into that line of work are former military. The "respect" shown with a 20K or 30K a year paycheck doesn't compare favorably with the comfort bought with a 160K a year contract. so they, unappreciated and disrespected by the folks they signed up to protect, sky out for greener, and I do mean GREENer, pastures. Many decide that the only respect they need is self-respect, and it's hard to find that being spit at and making yourself the whipping boy for every do-gooder flower child that comes down the pike.

In other words, most of them are vets, too - have to get that training somewhere! - they're just vets who have had it up to here with being disrespected by the very people they go into harm's way for.

If these folks fear being hunted down by "mercenaries", well, they probably ought not to have pissed them off when the mercenaries were working for them, at a fraction of the pay. Sounds to me like they've got a guilty conscience, thinking that the mercenaries are going to be in it for a bit of payback. They're not - most of them, anyhow. Mercenaries are not "super soldiers", they're mostly just vets who have had enough.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Sounds to me like they've got a guilty conscience, thinking that the mercenaries are going to be in it for a bit of payback. They're not - most of them, anyhow. Mercenaries are not "super soldiers", they're mostly just vets who have had enough.

I would say that most merc's are in it for the money. Nothing more and nothing less. The good ones (trained) get paid big bucks. The amateurs get paid very little. They are cannon fodder, but they have their uses too.

They aren’t Union, nor do they get medical benefits. They are paid well to take care of those things on their own.

edit on 6-2-2013 by TDawgRex because: Gotta get beer

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Sounds to me like they've got a guilty conscience, thinking that the mercenaries are going to be in it for a bit of payback. They're not - most of them, anyhow. Mercenaries are not "super soldiers", they're mostly just vets who have had enough.

I would say that most merc's are in it for the money. Nothing more and nothing less. The good ones (trained) get paid big bucks. The amateurs get paid very little. They are cannon fodder, but they have their uses too.

They aren’t Union, nor do they get medical benefits. They are paid well to take care of those things on their own.

edit on 6-2-2013 by TDawgRex because: Gotta get beer

Uh....Even the lowly level guys are making $140k a year, with 3 months on ,1 month off.
Top guys are making around $200k.
Myself, having background in Military, LE, IT, Telecom was offered $200k a year to move and work in the UAE. Wife keep saying no.

And yes, Mercs, for the most part, are there to make money. There is nothing wrong in that.
People today are confusing what Mercs are actually doing. They are not like the Mercs of days past, where they were contracted to literally kill people.
Assignments range from dignitary protection, to embassy security and so on.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

I was referring to the locally hired contractors. They may get paid well by their own local economy standards but it is a pittance compared to what former western Soldiers get paid.

Upon my retirement I was approached by plenty of companies with overseas postings, all of which paid quite well. No can do, I told them. I’m just too old and banged up to be doing that kind of work these days. If I was healthy I might have taken them up on the offers, but probably not as I have had my fill of deserts.

I don't even like the American desert, why would I want to go to someone elses again?

Now if one of those jobs were in Panama or Central America, I would have snatched it up.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Oh, gotcha.

I, on the other hand, love the desert and do not mind the ME geography.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join