It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence for ancient contact between Easter Island and Ecuador

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

I agree about some of the stinky stuff on the link by Peter Marsh! Thanks though for looking it over.
What I do find interesting is that dismissing oral cultural stories might not be so wise.
I am starting to be more intrigued by oral histories. For example if you know of the Dogon of Mali, some of their cosmology is proving to be extremely scientifically accurate. I get excited when they discover things sync with what we believe is brand new theory.

edit on 5-2-2013 by LittleBirdSaid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBirdSaid

I found marsh's stuff several months ago, while researching the lapita cultural complex.
I was captivated until he "jumped the shark" with the Egyptian stuff some other things.

Some other ideas he has, such as a north American origin for the peoples he equates with caucasians, have started to get some backing in other disciplines, but its still a stretch.

Paleoanthropology is advancing at a pace even professionals have a hard time keeping up with, and old ideas being found to be difficult to back up.

As more info is added to the cumulative knowledge, rigid and linear ideas, such as "out of Africa" for human dispersal will fall by the wayside, and the more dynamic ideas such as a dual origin for modern humans, with africa and the Americas being the wellsprings of humanity, will take hold.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

The figure you found perhaps helps to develop a greater understanding of how this artistic style developed and from whence, looking at it, and a couple more of lesser quality from Manteno culture;

a case can be made that the style was practised in body art and/or clothing, an important point when we consider;

Carved wooden clubs similar to those of the Marquesas have been found in Peru, Chile, Columbia, and Ecuador.4 The possibility cannot be ruled out that influences may have gone back and forth between Polynesia and South America over vastly longer periods of time than orthodox theories allow.

One researcher found that the Easter Islanders show a few minor Amerindian traits, and suggested this could be due to some Marquesans having sailed to South America.

davidpratt.info...

If we pursue the suggestion of Marquesan influence in the region, then their principle artistic style related to body art, even when adapted to other medium such as carving wooden Tiki, the motifs were derived from what lent itself best to tatooing.

The motifs seen on the beads then and in the caves show not only stylistic similarity with Polynesian art but also it could well be that the distinctive style and methodology of the spindle whorls derives from body art tradition, which when applied to other medium will see you producing artifacts such as these;

contemporary Marquesan based on body art traditional designs.

reply to post by punkinworks10

As seen above i think there's a strong suggestion that the culture of the Marquesan islands could be a common denominator for Easter Island and Ecuadorian settlement/influence.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 6-2-2013 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Kantzveldt

Interesting thread Kantzveldt.

It's amazing to me the similarity between the Easter Island God 'Make Make' and this mysterious figure;

Not that i can discern it, but the fish motif is apparently present too, as this huge carving has come to be known as 'the Nasca fisherman'.

Could 'Make Make' and the Nasca fisherman in fact be one and the same?

If so, it would mean there can be very little doubt of a substantial connection between Easter Island and mainland America.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join