King Richard III dug up and displayed in Leicester, England

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Video with latest findings including wounds to the skull news.sky.com...

Apparently, Richard was offered a horse when his own was shot from under him but he refused and went down fighting. He was the hacked about, stripped and the corpse paraded naked around Leicester - aah the good old days.....

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Creep Thumper
Did anyone happen to see the picture of the skull? I'd swear he was a Habsburg.

It's in the story link in the first post.

Why they'd bury him in Leicester makes no sense. Yes, the Royal family should step in and arrange the burial in York. It was an accident of history that he overcenturied in Leicester. If that's the case they might as well put him back in the parking lot.

And will someone please give this thread at least one flag. Not for me, but for the honor of King Richard. Maybe in the next couple of months his real story will get more play than it ever has, and some of the slander will be cleared up. Long live his skull.
edit on 4-2-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
We pay enough for the living parasites in London, i'll be buggered if we should pay for a deceased one.....Find his nearest living relative and have them pay for his final resting place.....

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Ah ok

Again channel 4 UK at 9pm for a 1hour 35mins documentary on the discovery

Later tonight a film-length Channel 4 documentary: Richard III: The King in the Car Park will be screened and follows the discovery and analysis through every painstaking moment including this morning's long awaited moment.

www.channel4.com...
edit on 4-2-2013 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Then we present for your reading pleasure, the Richard III Society webpage:

www.richardiii.net...

Society members must be in some sort of naturally induced hormonal ecstasy today. Their King has been found! They should be the ones leading the charge for a proper burial place. York awaits!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I was really looking forward to the documentary tonight, and was really miffed when the MSM revealed before the programme that it is indeed the remains of Richard III.

However as I am here to learn, perhaps somebody could give a brief synopsis of why he was such a revered king please? My understanding is that his mother Queen Isabella (Spanish) had her husband (Richard II) imprisoned in Berkeley Castle (Gloucestershire) where he was murdered/disappeared so that she could bring her son to the throne. In effect England was ruled by a Spanish Queen for quite sometime. Also she played a major role in Richard invading France to claim the throne, which cost him and the country dearly. So, what makes this King so special that he has a society following? I am only extra interested as I am watching World Without End, and although loosely based on fact I am not at all impressed with Richard III so far.

Thank you

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Well, I wouldn't say "revered", but when his brother was King, he was giving charge of the North to guard against the Scots. He not only looked after the nobility, but made efforts to ensure the common folk were well treated and look after as well.

He is also widely acknowledged nowadays to have been a very capable administrator, unlike many of his peers.

Richard III - some light reading on the King himself..

It is also worth reading about the Battle of Bosworth.. Also, have a read about the Stanley family and also the Woodville family.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Thank you Stu for the links.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
However as I am here to learn, perhaps somebody could give a brief synopsis of why he was such a revered king please? My understanding is that his mother Queen Isabella (Spanish) had her husband (Richard II) imprisoned in Berkeley Castle (Gloucestershire) where he was murdered/disappeared so that she could bring her son to the throne.

The mother of Richard III was not Queen Isabella of Spain. Her name was Cecily Neville and she was the only wife his father Richard Plantagenet, 3rd Duke of York.
His father died at the Battle of Wakefield in 1460 during the War of the Roses.

Richard II was not the father of Richard III. Richard II died in 1400 at Pontefract Castle, 54 years before Richard III was born, and may have been murdered on the orders of Henry IV. The 2nd wife of Richard II was Isabella of Valois, the daughter of King Charles VI of France and was not Spanish.

By the way, don't take Shakespeare's versions of history in his plays as historically accurate.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by Aleister

The last warrior King of England to die in battle deserves one heck of a funeral.

He should be buried in York as he was a York. Or in Westminster,

The last English King [ the English are also from the Normans] deserves a state funeral.

Leicester a non English city should not have his burial rights - the only thing that connected him to that city was his death.

God Bless The King ! The Last English King...
edit on 4-2-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

The English are not Normans, they are in fact a mix of Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Vikings and romanised Britons.

The Normans who came over in 1066 numbered less than 10,000 (of whom most returned to Normandy and a good section of which were in fact Breton, of the same ethnic group as the Romano-Britons).

Leicester, originally a Roman town, grew during the Dark Ages to become an important town in the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Mercia, although it did for a while reside as part of the Danelaw.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by Aleister

The last warrior King of England to die in battle deserves one heck of a funeral.

He should be buried in York as he was a York. Or in Westminster,

The last English King [ the English are also from the Normans] deserves a state funeral.

Leicester a non English city should not have his burial rights - the only thing that connected him to that city was his death.

God Bless The King ! The Last English King...

Maybe that's why some don't want to make a fuss about it, but it seems the fuss is already underway. Maybe Prince Harry should step in and ask for a state funeral, or the people of York itself. This will probably occur, it just seems too simple to visualize a lot of people and officials asking for this.

People that have been parking over him for years must feel a special connection though, so you never know. If I were a Leicesterian (as I may well be) I would start a ruckus to insiste he get back into his parking lot where he belongs.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by HelenConway

The English are not Normans, they are in fact a mix of Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Vikings and romanised Britons.

The Normans who came over in 1066 numbered less than 10,000 (of whom most returned to Normandy and a good section of which were in fact Breton, of the same ethnic group as the Romano-Britons).

Leicester, originally a Roman town, grew during the Dark Ages to become an important town in the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Mercia, although it did for a while reside as part of the Danelaw.

yes I know you are right I just got a bit excited
. But Leicester is an asian city it is no longer English and he did not have strong links there apart from his death - York Minster or Westminster Cathedral is where he should be buried.

I am going to be outside cheering and I can't stand the current non English Royal family,

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
Maybe that's why some don't want to make a fuss about it, but it seems the fuss is already underway. Maybe Prince Harry should step in and ask for a state funeral, or the people of York itself. This will probably occur, it just seems too simple to visualize a lot of people and officials asking for this.

People that have been parking over him for years must feel a special connection though, so you never know. If I were a Leicesterian (as I may well be) I would start a ruckus to insiste he get back into his parking lot where he belongs.

That 'aint gonna happen they are the pretenders who gained from Richard's death. They hate him.
Where is that man in Canada he should be our King,

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Haha that is terrible !

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

yes I know you are right I just got a bit excited
. But Leicester is an asian city it is no longer English and he did not have strong links there apart from his death - York Minster or Westminster Cathedral is where he should be buried.

Leicester is, according to the 2011 census, still 69% white. I know you have "interesting" views on immigration, nationality and England Helen, so I think this is best left alone....

I am going to be outside cheering and I can't stand the current non English Royal family,

Why are they non English?
edit on 4/2/13 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Leicester is, according to the 2011 census, still 69% white. I know you have "interesting" views on immigration, nationality and England Helen, so I think this is best left alone....

[Why are they non English?

I am not going to go there... if you think someone from Pakistan is English well you believe that.
Pakistani people are proud to call themselves Pakistani's I know alot of them - so it is racist to insist that they should somehow call themselves English, they are proud of who they are.
Grow up Stu.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I am not going to go there... if you think someone from Pakistan is English well you believe that.
Pakistani people are proud to call themselves Pakistani's I know alot of them - so it is racist to insist that they should somehow call themselves English, they are proud of who they are.
Grow up Stu.

I ask you guys not to sidetrack the thread, please. Thanks. But since I'm asking that, I get a free comment. Helen, you disprove your theory in your signature. "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun". Ha! Most Pakistani's go out in the midday sun, hence, by your sigs logic, they are Englishmen! (or mad dogs, but let's get back on topic, shall we? Thanks)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Grow up Stu.

I ask you guys not to sidetrack the thread, please. Thanks. But since I'm asking that, I get a free comment. Helen, you disprove your theory in your signature. "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun". Ha! Most Pakistani's go out in the midday sun, hence, by your sigs logic, they are Englishmen! (or mad dogs, but let's get back on topic, shall we? Thanks)

that is a song by Noel Coward, is that racist now ? Oh dear.

So by your logic all the scottish australians Indians nigerians etc etc living in England must defer to the English ignore their heritage and call themselves English, I know quite a few Nigerians, Ghanaians, Pakistanis, Indians, Australians, Irish etc who would be most insulted by this assertation. It s racist, somehow implying that to be English is to be superior, We are who we are, there is no such thing as a superior group of people.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

reply to post by bluemirage5

And the only King of England to die in battle aside from Harold of Godwin

Although not the last British King - that honour falls to James IV of Scotland who died fighting the English when Scotland decided to invade us in support of the French...

Wouldn't the last British King be George VI?

Just curious.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join