It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Airships are Coming! The Airships are Coming!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Mark this news story as a harbinger of what is to come in air travel. As can be seen on several threads here on this forum already, lighter-than-air transport (military, commercial freight, and personal transport) is here.

I know this because this news story is an example of how the White House is promoting the technology openly in protecting the airspace over Washington D.C.

Blimps (Aerostats) to be used to bolster Washington's air defence

What does everyone think of this? Also, if anyone knows anything about the comparative amount of helium being controlled by the United States next to other countries, that would be of interest in these developments too.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
After some cursory research, this appears to be why the push for blimps, aerostats and other lighter-than-air craft that employ helium.

Giant Helium Reserve Awaits Likely Closure

This is more than just party balloons and maintaining the ability to sound like mickey mouse (everyone's tried that trick, right? inhaling a balloon with helium in it then talking??)

Anyway, exactly how valuable is this stockpile of helium gas?

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by skyzeagle

Incredibly valuable. I recall the hubub a few years ago because helium was getting more difficult to find and people involved with balloons and blimps were afraid they would go out of business.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Dear skyzeagle,

Some additional information for you. Integrated Sensor is Structure. These blimps do more than just use radar, they can also track chips, like the one in your car and cell phone. Having known people who worked on ISIS and drones, I think their ability to monitor is scary. I also find it amusing that they named this particular blimp after an Egyptian goddess. The blimps are used because they are difficult to shoot down, they can remain in the air for very long periods of time and can monitor incredibly large areas.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Awesome background info. More if you have it.

You know that of course this capability will be heralded as a "must have" information grab for people in metro areas with apps written to use the civilian accessible portion of the data.

It is frightening to think that this level of control by the government is on the way. Truth be told, though, it's already here if not to the same degree of accuracy that these aerostats would provide.

As an aside, think of the good uses of these things being able to provide extremely accurate location info for navigation devices. We wouldn't be using satellite technology and when our maps in our cars, or commercial buses was updated (there was a horrible crash in Boston where nearly 40 students from out of state were driven in to a bridge too short for their bus by the driver. All were hospitalized.)...we would be able to know where we are within feet or inches.

Technology is a double bladed sword. Always has been, always will be. Decide which way you want it to cut for you.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Shucks, thought this was going to be about Final Fantasy XV

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Interesting, they are already beginning preparations by getting an inner perimeter set up to shield the capital....
sooner than I expected.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Flying Yacht

I wish I could afford this.. Nowhere you couldnt go... in style.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Dear skyzeagle,

You know that of course this capability will be heralded as a "must have" information grab for people in metro areas with apps written to use the civilian accessible portion of the data.

You are correct about satellite data and people's love of the data. Currently, all the gps information used in the world comes from U.S military satellites. The blimps are not needed for common use. The cell towers provide that information. You might want to investigate how self driving cars operate and here is a nifty little article.

Wired - Forget the Internet of Things: Here Comes the ‘Internet of Cars’

new topics

top topics

join