It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should fat people pay higher taxes?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

Not even going to bother reading past your OP.

Sure introduce a fat tax - and it should be quickly followed by stupid and ignorant taxes - looks like your tax bill will be on the increase.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I could support a small tax on unhealthy food to support health care. Id sadly be paying it more iften than id like to admit though. Had pizza and beer last night watching superbowl.

link   
At the end of the day, we all have to pay higher taxes don't we?

At least, that is what our elected leaders tell us.......

link   
If you are going to say fat people should pay higher taxes because of their extra burden on society then why not also include smokers and people who consume large amounts of alcohol.

I don’t agree with it, what would be much better is to increase the tax on unhealthy foods, cigarettes and alcoho to fund health care.

For a “fat tax” you would need to prove what your weight is, I don’t see how you can do that in a way that it would be fair and protect the individuals confidentiality.

So I don’t agree with your idea OP.

edit on 4-2-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
If you are going to say fat people should pay higher taxes because of their extra burden on society then why not also include smokers and people who consume large amounts of alcohol.

I don’t agree with it, what would be much better is to increase the tax on unhealthy foods, cigarettes and alcoho to fund health care.

For a “fat tax” you would need to prove what your weight is, I don’t see how you can do that in a way that it would be fair and protect the individuals confidentiality.

So I don’t agree with your idea OP.

edit on 4-2-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

There is already a tax on cigarettes and alcohol.
It's added on to the total price when you purchase them.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

Sorry I honestly didn’t know if there was or was not a significant tax on alcohol in America, I knew about the Tabaco though but was not aware of a tax on Alcohol.

Regardless I would still argue that a tax on unhealthy foods would work better than a “fat tax”.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Seriously? If you intended that as anything other than a joke,then it is the single dumbest thread I have ever read on ATS.Heres hoping you someday develop a thyroid problem and get to see just how asinine you sound.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Well, I was going to pen a reply outlining the unintended consequences of your theory, however it would seem that it has been covered pretty well. Slippery slope is the best term for it. Give them an inch and they WILL take a mile.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Obesity and smoking should be treated the same way with regard to insurance/taxes, now that insurance is tax. Both are legal and both are choices. I don't have to eat that extra piece of pie any more than I have to smoke that pack of cigarettes a day. If insurance for a smoker is 50% more than for a non-smoker then it should be 50% more for an obese person as opposed to someone of a normal weight.

I understand that it is harder to control for some than others but it is pretty simple, if you consume more calories than you burn you add weight. I don't think obese people should be shunned or looked down upon any more than smokers but the fact is both are choices that are detrimental to your health. My wife and I both used to smoke, when she was diagnosed with cancer she was told she had to quit. Thinking I could help her by quitting too, I quit but she was not able to so I do understand the difficulty of it. I know a lot of obese people really do "feel" hungry.

All that being said, if I don't smoke and make the effort to maintain a healthy weight why should I pay the same as someone who smokes or is obese?

I always try to encourage obese people though.

So keep your chins up.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by resoe26

Sorry I honestly didn’t know if there was or was not a significant tax on alcohol in America, I knew about the Tabaco though but was not aware of a tax on Alcohol.

Regardless I would still argue that a tax on unhealthy foods would work better than a “fat tax”.

There is a horrendous tax on alcohol in the US. I would venture to say it is 50% or more of the total price.

This country has a serious problem with corporate and government greed.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This from a very fit individual...me.

I don't think overweight people should pay higher taxes because in my opinion sin taxes are just ridiculous and completely unfair.

However, if there was a national sales tax instituted then higher taxes paid would be the inevitable result. Also, as a bonus, we would be able to tax visitors to this country.
edit on 4-2-2013 by GoldenBrain71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Americans got fat because Dioxins destroyed their DNA.

All the pollution in America from the Industrial Revolution/manufacturing. The body puts Dioxins into fat cells to get them away from organs.

Why is China now having an Obesity/ Diabetes epidemic? Ain't from eating Ho-Ho's. It's from the Dioxins/ pollution that's destroying THEIR DNA now.

Go to China and look at all their FAT PEOPLE now......from da pollution.....not fatty foods.

Jeeesus don't you people know why America shut down her Dairy Farms and started importing powdered milk from 3rd world countries? The Dioxins were in the fat in the milk.

Every blade of grass in America is polluted...cows ate the grass and their milk became toxic with Dioxins and other poisons. That's why America doesn't have alot of Dairy Farms anymore....and powdered milk is now imported from some real dirt holes.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Back to grade school with you. California and Wisconsin dairy are thriving and everywhere is doing just fine. Tons of milk, cheese and other dairy products are shipped everyday.

There is nothing wrong with the dairy industry in the US.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Something must be done to stem this tide of shambling hippos. A good start would be unrelenting fat-shaming, double for women.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I have the solution -

It would cure a huge chunk of the obesity epidemic, and generate revenue.

Ready?

Make healthy options at the grocery store CHEAPER than junk food options at the grocery store on a per-calorie basis.

Then you just have wealthy people eating junk and they'll be able to foot the bill when the doctor comes a-collectin'. Ta-da.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

You took the Humanity out of Humanitarian. I think "Dumb People" should pay a Dumb Tax....

In fact.... I want "Skinny" people to pay less tax than "Fat" people because they consume more and take up more space.... (I cannot agree, I haven't seen a more blatent use of Misguided EGO)

Tell me, since when was it proved that Skinny people are Healthier than Fat people? The fact that Skinny people die as much as Fat people, never came to mind did it OP?

If we Lipo'd your Ego would that change the tax rate? NO~ Because Taxing Fat People has nothing to do with our current state of affairs in the Governments and TPTB.

Fat, Skinny I love you all the same.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Guess what, you can kiss the fattest part of my ass.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

maybe i'm wrong in thinking you are referring to the USA, but since that nation is so famously obese, the taxman will be laughing all the way to the bank

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I thought at first that this thread has to be a joke.I even checked
to make sure if it was indeed in the jokes forum.I am an obese
woman.
1.The floors do not crack and splinter under my weight.
2.The weight limit on the elevators that I have been on
can carry a 3000 lb load,I do not weigh 3000 lbs.
3.Semi trucks do more damage to our roads then I would
driving my stationwagon on them.
T&C rules prevent me from saying anything more!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Yes, but so far the only ones they're taking it out on is the smokers.

I mean it's already written into the health care bill that us smokers will be paying more even on top of the fact that we already pay exhorbitant taxes just to buy a pack of em, and on top of that alcohol which IMJO is way more unhealthy and CAN INJURE THOSE NOT PARTAKING VIA CAR KILLINGS BY DRUNK DRIVERS why are smokers being the only ones to be crapped on with this turd?
edit on 4-2-2013 by ldyserenity because: add

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join