It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jensen Beach man dies after shooting himself in the head

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

It seems strange that two ex cops did not notice that someone was suicidal standing in front of them and actually going through a back ground check with them.

lol wut?
How were they supposed to know the guy was going to shoot himself?
Are you aware that the information in the background check does not include present thoughts?
Your thread title and angle on this story is fail.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Let hypothetically say that they did see that he wasn’t right in the head and refused to loan him the use of the gun.

So, he walks out of the store still fully alive and walks to the closest 20 story building takes the elevator all they way to the top. Walks out on the roof, or a balcony, and jumps off.

He is still just as dead.
If someone wants to kill himself, he will find a way.
Trying to take away stuff that people may hurt themselves with is and exercise in futility.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Having read the article, the following can be asked:

Is this even newsworthy or even a conspiracy on the part of society? A man, who passes all of the checks, shoots himself in the head and kills himself.

We will really never know why he did it, until they release the note, as such will leave more questions than answers. Nor will we be able to ask him why he wants to, as he is no longer around. This person died.

As was pointed out, the title of the thread is a bit misleading and taken out of context, and as many posters pointed out, if a person is bound and determined to kill themselves there really is nothing that any one can do. They will leave a note and then do it.

Would this have made a difference, if say this person jumped off of a busy overpass? Or off the top of a building, or took pills and alcohol, or turn off the pilot light and just inhaled the gas, or hung himself or any number of other ways to kill themselves? Probably not, so what makes this story different?

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
For someone who has been a member as long as the OP has, you should know better when creating the title for the thread.

The only person to blame here is the (poor unfortunate) suicidal man.

The school, cops, or anyone on the range are in no way at fault.

Far too many threads wanting to pass the buck. OP is an idiot.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
My friend shot himself a few years ago. On the morning it happened, he got up, woke his wife up to go to church, acting perfectly normal. She couldn't get going, so she laid in bed. He kissed her on the cheek, and said he'd be downstairs. A little while later she heard a gunshot, and found him laying on the floor. Not one person that knew him suspected anything like that was about to happen. Not his wife, not my other friend who was his business partner, not his brother, no one.

And now you expect people that just met a total stranger, who passed a background check to look at the person and say "Oh, you're going to kill yourself. I'm not going to give you this gun?" What a freaking joke!

As for not knowing, the article doesn't say they were standing on the range with him when he pulled the trigger. In fact it says that he received his brief safety course, and began target shooting. At that point the instructors aren't on the range with you, they're back in the store/office part of the range. So unless they were standing right there where they could see him, they WOULDN'T know what happened.

So get over yourself, and quit trying to blame the NRA, and everyone but the person that put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
In addition, that short article doesn't say "they don't know how" it says the two options are accident (idiot looked down the barrel or something) or suicide (person purposely shot themselves). Range instructors have absolutely nothing to do with this man's desire & ability to off himself.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

I never said take some thing away. I am asking how did some one being trained to shoot a gun by a teacher shoot him self in the head with out the teacher knowing how he did it? I smell some thing fishy with the story.

But I noticed that this is just a common thing. It also happened in Nebraska and Wisconsin same day. Person signs up for a class and shots them self.
edit on 3-2-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I never blamed the NRA I blamed the instructor who claims to be NRA Certified on his website. And he was also a detective for law enforcement. Are they not supposed to be able to detect things with the title detective?

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The shooting in Nebraska has the same feel as this story from Florida.

www.omaha.com...

Man fatally shoots himself at gun range Omaha World-Herald More Sharing ServicesShare Share on twitterShare on email A man fatally shot himself with a handgun Saturday at a La Vista indoor shooting range, authorities said. The Sarpy County Sheriff’s Office said it was investigating whether the shooting, which occurred about 3 p.m. at the Bullet Hole, was intentional or accidental. — Emerson Clarridge

Is it becoming common place to commit suicide at gun ranges and have cops just say will investigate if it was suicide or a accident? This was the same day.

I am starting to wonder if the government could be putting stories out in different states on the same day to sway public opinion? The gun range in Florida was being ran by ex law enforcement. Would not put it past them to run propaganda stories like they do on drugs. They have been known to place fake drug death overdose stories in the paper to make people think twice about doing the fade drugs of the month.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

In the time it takes to run a background check (maybe 30 minutes), get the gun out, give him the ammo, and a 5 minute class, they're supposed to be able to tell that someone is suicidal, when his friends and family that know him best probably couldn't tell? Who is this guy supposed to be Sherlock Holmes? So what if he's a detective. That doesn't mean a damn thing when you're talking about seeing someone for like an hour or two.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Can you look at someone and say, hey he looks like his about to kill himself?
No you cant, there is no blame on the instructors.
Seriously, show me physical signs a person is considering suicide, show me ONE PIC
You FAIL at blaming someone else for what he did

edit on 2/3/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I came here after the forced thread title change, and saw, with the opening post, you were pursuing an anti-gun, anti NRA agenda. I didn't know about the forced, thread title change, till it was pointed out later in the thread.

This attempt at slamming the NRA, the NRA certified instructors, and, firearms, was a poor effort, at best.
You've been rightfully smacked down by others for your folly, yet, you persist in pursuing it.

What exactly do you hope to gain from doing this?

Your thread has "EPIC FAIL" written all over it.
There is no saving it, or, your misguided blame game.
Your attempts at saving face, at this point, are futile. The self inflicted damage is done.
Call it a day.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
First off if it was a suicide the guy obviously didn't know much about guns. A .22 revolver would be my last choice if I were going to eat it. Go big man!!!! Rent the Taurus raging judge in 6" barrel, and buy a box of .454 Casull for it. Go out with a BOOOOM! Leave no dental records, make em' work for it.

If it was an accident then shame on the range master for being complacent. But in neither case is the NRA relevant at all.

Also if it was a suicide then there was likely no way to stop it. I believe the guy has a God given right to blow his brains out if he so wishes. By the way what do suicidal people look like? They all look totally normal before doing the deed. The ones who talk about it are usually just out for attention, and need help. The doers never talk about it, or act suspicious because they want to get it done.
edit on 4-2-2013 by Binder because: ETA

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Two things to comment on since I have been through CHL training and two subsequent re-certifications:
1. The instructor most likely had at least half a dozen or more students on the firing line at the time - it's not unreasonable to assume he wasn't looking at the individual at the exact time the trigger was pulled. Every class I've been to had enought attendees, the instructors were quite busy. I see no fault on the instructor's part here.
2. At least in Texas, there's no qualifying for any type of license with a .22! Sure there are revolver and semi-auto certifications, and the minimum caliber for semi-auto is .32ACP. This aspect of the story just doesn't make much sense if the suicidal attendee was going for a handgun license, based on my experience.

Other folks in other states chime in please - is it typical to qualify for a CCW permit or CHL using a .22???

ganjoa

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
From what I gathered...

According to the original title...which was changed thankfully.
The OP blatantly tried to blame the NRA? for an accident. What?!
Which is really ludicrous because they weren't involved whatsoever.
Then the OP shifted the blame to the instructors, because they didn't stop it.
Wow.
That makes no sense whatsoever.
Let's point the fingers at people who are there to safely train people how to handle guns.
I've gone through the same training plus more and the instructors don't hold your hands.
So how could they have stopped it?

This person either an agenda to inflict personal harm, or it was purely an accident.
No one knows as of right now.

With that being said...

I'm going to now blame the OP for this accidental shooting, or suicide.
Because that's using about the same logic.
It was their fault this shooting happened.

My upmost Condolences to the lost, and their families.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join