It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help The Wombat build his first pc!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Ok,

So I'm building a budget gaming rig. I've decided on everything BUT I cannot find a computer case to match my parts.... lol that is literally the last item I'm looking for and need some serious help with.

So ATS, can you help me???

Here is my parts list so far:

PSU

HDD

GPU

MoBo

RAM

CPU

I have everything else needed... just looking for a good case for this build.

My budget is $800 and I'm currently sitting at : $670

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by W0mbat

this may help

PC case's

but if its going to be a gaming rig you may want to add a SSD your FPS would be a lot faster with an SSD over a HDD, I have both in mine , & games on the SSD are alot faster. alot of people use the SDD for the OS & HDD to store things IE pic's videos ext.

My case from there was only $40 + S&H so you should be able to find one you like
edit on 2/3/2013 by dedpope because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
how much of a difference in FPS would there be between HDD and SSD?

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by W0mbat

no difference in frame rates but game and OS load up times are faster

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by W0mbat
how much of a difference in FPS would there be between HDD and SSD?

I play WoW & I'm running about 45 FPS now in towns, before I was at 25-30 so about 25-30% faster , you can tell alot , also just having the OS on a SSD makes boot time little of nothing for windows 7 , don't know about windows 8 , but IMO I would go with windows7 till they hotfix all the bugs in Win.8

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by sharkz
reply to post by W0mbat

no difference in frame rates but game and OS load up times are faster

lol I got alot mor FPS for some reason then oh well

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Computer case is about the last thing that matters, as long as it has enough ventilation and room for your mother board your good.

Go full atx not mid if you want to do SLI or Cross fire.

I have used the same ancient Full tower case every time I do a new build, just plop out the Mobo and put the new one in its place. May no be pretty but the case does its job.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dedpope
SSD

Its also the first thing I thought of.
The general advice nowdays is to put the operating system on the SSD (maybe a 120Gb), and any old other hard drive for the games and other programs.

If you have the space, putting your favorite game on the SSD is also a good idea.

Cant see that you'll get higher frame rates, but everything else will be so much quicker. Bootup, shutdown, installations, program loading, etc...
Personally, I hope to never buy another rotating platter of rusty iron ever again.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by dedpope
SSD

Its also the first thing I thought of.
The general advice nowdays is to put the operating system on the SSD (maybe a 120Gb), and any old other hard drive for the games and other programs.

If you have the space, putting your favorite game on the SSD is also a good idea.

Cant see that you'll get higher frame rates, but everything else will be so much quicker. Bootup, shutdown, installations, program loading, etc...
Personally, I hope to never buy another rotating platter of rusty iron ever again.

This is correct.

When I did my last build, I bought two SSD's. I grabbed a 120gb, which houses my OS & Program files etc., and a 320gb, which has all of my high-maintenance games on it...

and then I have all of my other games, where I don't care about load times etc., on a 2tb mechanical hard drive.

The difference you'll see in terms of how responsive your PC is... will be the single greatest change you can make.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
An SSD can make a very noticeable difference but has very little to do with FPS. I would also like to suggest that you go for a full tower case. In my experiences they're just better options for cooling in general and offer much more space. I'm using a full tower that I actually hide all of the wires behind the mobo in, it's awesome and looks so clean in there.

Edit: I just looked at all of your components. I really wouldn't bother with an SSD for that. If anything I would suggest trying to hold off until you can make about $300 more and get a better GPU, CPU, and PSU if you're wanting a half way acceptable "gaming" rig.

With my last build I wait almost a year before I had enough money to build it but boy was it worth it.
edit on 3-2-2013 by Anundeniabletruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Yeah SSD does not do much for gaming at all, it speeds up load times a bit but not worth the money.
If you get a SSD you would want to put your OS on it, that is where you will notice a difference.
So put all your games and apps on the 1TB and put your OS and the OS only on the SSD.

But I would invest a little more in your GPU, if gaming is your goal. Get something like a 79xx or a 69xx and then crossfire them when you get more money, the 7850 will leave you hungry.

And get a better power supply, personally I like to get a 1000+ and then you never have to worry about it again. Its one of the few parts you can future proof for sure.
edit on 3-2-2013 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
You might want to consider an after market CPU cooler. Generally the stock fans aren't that great when you buy a cpu.

This one isn't bad I use it on my gaming rig. It's got a nice heat sink with heat pipes as well. And comes with clips to install a second fan on it, if you wish. Not very expensive, but good for the money.

Intel 17 3770 cpu w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 cpu cooler.
Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe mobo
Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 gpu
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750m 750w psu
2 x Corsair XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 ram
Seagate Barracuda HDD
Seagate Momentus 750gb sd/hd hybrid drive
Corsair Veangeance C70 case (military green)

Edited to add: Your items might be cheaper on Newegg- The GPU is. PSU is out of stock but has a 10.00 rebate on it.

GPU

PSU

edit on 4-2-2013 by Hushabye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I went through a few quad core AMD processors on my last update of my main rig and wasnt all that impressed with any of them. In the end i was advised to get an I7 processor, its a bit more than AMD but its worth every penny. The improvement for games was the most noticeable. I wouldnt go back to AMD now if you paid me.

With ASRock's line of MOBO's for the I7 being very cheap its well worth considering.

new topics

top topics

join