It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlanta Reporter Gets Punched In The Face Live On Air

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Feisty old man punched a reporter for trying to enter his property.
I'm not sure what the reporter was investigating but I bet he didn't expect to get whacked in the face when he went there. Lesson learned...Investigative journalism could be bad for your health.

Ouch! Atlanta Reporter Gets Punched In The Face Live On Air

Reporter Jeff Chirico encountered the father of the man he was attempting to investigate, who was not very welcoming of the local news team. The elderly man grabbed Chirico by the collar and made a fist, saying “it only costs 35 bucks to bust this man in the mouth.”

I don't know about you but $35 seems reasonable to me.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I would have destroyed that old man. It's in the reporter's rights to defend himself, and the video evidence would support that. Sorry old man, you are getting locked up, as well you should be.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
I would have destroyed that old man. It's in the reporter's rights to defend himself, and the video evidence would support that. Sorry old man, you are getting locked up, as well you should be.

Its a tough situation for the reporter to be in. If he punches back, on camera, he would likely be fired, whether he was justified or not.

On top of that, the old man really cleaned his clock. You could tell from the reporters posture, even before he got punched, that he wanted nothing to do with that man in a fight.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsecret

Nice shot Gramps, but I'd so hit him back. Nah I'd just throw him on the ground that's funnier.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
lol nice.. that old man punched him good.. Old people are awesome they don't care lol. He punched the whipper snapper in the face like it was no ones business.. I guess he will think next time to walk into someones door uninvited.

FYI reportertard.. you cant just walk in anywhere you want and harass people, you are not trying to go into his business as a customer, plus he wasn't holding the door open for you he was trying to close it on you and likely lock it so in by terms of law you were actually attempting to break and enter so he defended his property.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
An "investigative" journalist who immediately says they will run to daddy (police) when encountering real resistance from a person who knows that at the end of the day the only true "law" is what one man will or won't do to another in that moment?

Yeah right.

Take some cues from people like Luke Rudkowski at the very least.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
To be fair, the reporter did force the door open behind the old man which was trying to sneak in and let the door close behind him to get rid of the reporter. That was attempt at trespassing, and i believe you are in your rights to defend yourself when someone tries to trespass.

edit on 3-2-2013 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Its a tough situation for the reporter to be in. If he punches back, on camera, he would likely be fired, whether he was justified or not.

Strange times are these in which we live when defending yourself could get you fired.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatsecret
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Strange times are these in which we live when defending yourself could get you fired.

Most definitely, but it has a lot to do with the fact that he was an on camera personality at the time it happened. Any time someone's job puts them in front of a camera, they are representing the company that produces it. And right, wrong or indifferent, no news company wants tape of one of their reporters throwing a punch to be associated with them.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
His son's guilty. If he wasn't, this old man wouldn't be so aggressive toward this reporter. Like father like son. His son is probably just as confrontational as his old man.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Good for the old man, I say. I stopped watching Bill ''O a number of years ago over this kind of garbage with that little twit he sends out to do his dirty work and ambush people or just get in their faces.

Sorry...the media credentials don't give people the right to just barge their way on into private property and business. If the man's demeanor and outright statements prior to reaching the front of the business weren't clear enough about wanting the reporter to leave them alone? What would have been? Written legal notice, signed and notarized?

I love investigative reporting and I'm among the strongest supporters of individual rights, headed by the 1st amendment of course. That Constitution thing goes both ways though. The rights of the press END at my porch or place of business on private property when they've been informed they aren't wanted.

I'd imagine being knocked on his young butt FINALLY got the message across. The old man's right too...I'll bet the battery charge is little more than a citation, given totality of circumstance and the fact it was borderline 'mutual combatant' by the aggressive behavior shown in the one getting punched.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
That news reporter sort of deserved it. I was going schadenfreude because that reporter needs to be more professional when approaching his victims or targets or whatever he thinks other people are to him. After the hands are applied, it's time to buzz off and say in a blurb that the business owner declined to comment, not stalk and trespass and hope king camera of medialand and the video-cops will save the day. That's not investigative journalism, but ambush journalism, and the reporter didn't know when to call it quits.

Have you ever been trailed by a reporter before? I have, and I thought I was being stalked because of it, enough to call the police. They were decent people in themselves, in hindsight after they were out of whatever business they thought I was doing, but their behavior at the time scared me enough to want to defend myself as that man did in the video. Some reporters by nature will even break the law to get a story, so they aren't blameless when they cross people like that. Talk about bad public relations!

It was foolish for the reporter to follow a hostile man into the man's own building without permission on an obvious smear campaign. It was going to happen. There is no such thing as immunity because of a camera.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Listen to sugar-ray grampa talk.Good Ole Boy.Rule number one to a city boy.Don't mess with a Good Ole Boy,they don't play by your rules.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Why are people sticking up for a business that ripped their consumers off in the past?
:

God forbid the media actually do something in favor of the CONSUMER.

Hope you guys get ripped off by the guy...
edit on 3-2-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
In general.............people don't know their boudaries...... Everyone thinks they have the right to go around causing trouble, but when they get what they deserve, they are the first punks to call the police...

That's the problem everyone thinks they're a tough guy because they think the police are gonna protect them.

One day everyone meets somebody who will shatter their face and not care about going to jail.

Or you meet somebidy who says if i'm gonna go to jail for 10-15 yrs...may as well beat him to death. People really need to mind their own business or accept what they get.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
He told him to leave, he told him that he would defend his property. The reporter didn't listen.

I would have hit him twice just to make sure he had a souvenir of his arrogance.

The reporter should be charged with attempted unlawful entry...and then hit again.

Peace

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Let's see: criminal versus journalist.

There is no "good guy" to root for in that fight.

If the old man is a criminal, and you have evidence, then just show us that, instead of your confrontational style of "gotcha" urinalism, that hides behind the supposed "people's right to know". Journalists lie all the time...especially when they don't have proof....

And old man, If you don't want the urinalist on your property, tell him to leave. If he defies you, squirt him with a water pistol (ruin that suit he just got from men's warehouse!). But don't act like you were right to push him out through the door and then punch him for trespassing once he is off your doorstep.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

I hate to break it to ya but that insolent reporter was trying to force himself into that man's property. It was well within his rights to do exactly what he did and I, for one, commend him for doing so. If a reporter tried forcing himself onto my property, he would be lucky if all he got was a fat lip.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Ambush journalism verus another "Old Man" .Do you guys remember this one?Buzz Aldrin didn't take to kindly to this jerk either.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
Ambush journalism verus another "Old Man" .Do you guys remember this one?Buzz Aldrin didn't take to kindly to this jerk either.

Well this guy really deserved it.

top topics

join