It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this object on Mars just a large rock or something more spectacular?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Of late, I have been having a break from research activities but yesterday I had a look at the latest images from the MER Opportunity. I found something in an image that caught my eye straight away in a PanCam image and decided to examine the view more closely.

I have an opinion as to what the object could possibly be but thought I would first ask members on the forum if they have any views or comments to make about what can be observed.

The PanCam image was captured by Opportunity during sol 3205.

I have included two larger versions which can be accessed from the links below.

Direct views:

i985.photobucket.com...

i985.photobucket.com...

Image ref:

marsrover.nasa.gov...

edit on 3-2-2013 by arianna because: image code

edit on 3-2-2013 by arianna because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-2-2013 by arianna because: web address added

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by arianna

i would like to hear your opinion and the size of what your looking at as i can't see nothing of real interest

edit on 3-2-2013 by darknewt because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
With all due respect, I think we need scale to even form an opinion. That could be something miles across and seen from orbit or it could be inches across from a rover camera?

...and what is it similar to? Depending on scale..I guess it looks kinda like a big World War II pill box?

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Just when I thought these couldn't get any more ridiculous...

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Here this will clear it up for you.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by arianna

What is it you that is out of the normal about the pic you posted?
I get that you have a selected part of it but their is nothing abnormal there so maybe its something else and I just dont see it.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by arianna

It looks like an alien head to me...but it's just how the terrain appears.

Did I win?
edit on 3/2/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
Here this will clear it up for you.

So this is a small rock then it seems? there as usual are some odd things in the picture, wish I could see closer and clearer.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
if you could give any idea on scale it would be helpful, as i see it it could be anywhere from the size of a seashell to that of a fairly good sized hill, there is just no referance point. tho i do see it differes from the surounding area. the low quality of the picture renders any hypothesis inconclusive at best

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by arianna

Keep looking, one day someone will see a live creature and get it named for them!

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by pryed -eyed-one
if you could give any idea on scale it would be helpful, as i see it it could be anywhere from the size of a seashell to that of a fairly good sized hill, there is just no referance point. tho i do see it differes from the surounding area. the low quality of the picture renders any hypothesis inconclusive at best

Xeven supplied a clear shot of it above.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I can see this:

Do I win a prize?

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
It looks like pillars and openings(almost like ancient building),IF it were large but as it's a small rock,
i'm going with a small rock

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Okay, there are rocks.
There are rocks in all Mars photos.
And sometimes ice (dry ice?), and lights and shadows. Just like every other Mars photo.
As someone said on an earlier "Mars photo spectacular anomaly", if it is not as good or better than the fabled "Rodent and the Cockatiel", don't even bother.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
As we have two photos (a left and a right photo) we can use AlgorimancerPG and get some measurements.

That rock is almost 8 metres away and is 30 cm wide.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

That rock is almost 8 metres away and is 30 cm wide.

Probably just a huge tiny coliseum then, or is it tiny huge?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Many thanks to ArMaP for giving us some idea of the distance the object is from the MER and size of the object. The object gives the appearance of not being a natural formation.

Members will know from previous discussions in other threads that I believe the possiblity exists that there are huge tiny-sized civilizations living on the planet. In view of this, could it possibly be that the large object is a very elaborate tiny-sized construction. Could it possibly be a palace or temple? I say this as the object appears to have many arches and would also appear to be a multi-level construction.

To investigate the object further I have produce a true 3D image of the view.

You will need a pair of red/blue glasses to view the object.

The view was captured by the NavCam during sol 3206. References are provided below.

Direct larger view:

i985.photobucket.com...

Image references:

marsrover.nasa.gov...

marsrover.nasa.gov...

marsrover.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
That whole scene is strewn with 'buckyballs' Iron rich spheroids, it confuses the eye. They may be on the surface or embedded in an agregate,

edit on 4-2-2013 by smurfy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Here are two more close views of the large object.

The views show that the object may be an artificial construction and not a natural rock formation.

Your views on the possibilities of what the object could be would be most welcome.

edit on 5-2-2013 by arianna because: text

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by arianna
The views show that the object may be an artificial construction and not a natural rock formation.

Could you explain just how that pic makes the object look like it could be artificial ? It looks exactly the same as everything else around there.
edit on 5-2-2013 by crackfox because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join