It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ROFL - literal meaning and has it happened to you

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Since I've had this experience once, everytime I see someone use ROFL I wonder if they know what they are talking about. It's like having never had sex and telling other people what an interesting experience it was.

My one and only ROFL incident occurred in a theater, while watching an old movie. One scene, in which an overworked waitress propped a chair against a door to stop any other customers from coming in, got to me in some way and I fell out of my chair and was ROFL. Laughed and laughed and laughed.

It's like saying "he's smoking" without ever having seen it live (again, only once, Buddy Rich playing drums and the drumheads began to smoke).

So even if I write LOL it's only when it is actually happening. Sometimes I write SOL (smiling out loud).

Please relate your real ROFL experiences. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

You are right. Terms like ROFL and LOL are nothing but lies.

edit on 3-2-2013 by inj3ct0r because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I don't take it literal.
It's just easier to type than "wow that was extremely funny and now im laughing... Hard"

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Well, Ive never Laughed My Ass Off but Ill occasionally type LMAO anyway.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
I don't take it literal.
It's just easier to type than "wow that was extremely funny and now im laughing... Hard"

Ah, so you are a ROFL virgin. When it happens to you you will think different about the initials. Who knows, maybe I'm one of the few people who've actually done it. It was involuntary, just fell out of my chair. Maybe if someone is already on the floor it would be a variant on the experience, so I guess FOTCROFL would be more accurate. Whoops, I just LOL.
edit on 3-2-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
I don't take it literal.

(EDIT: A click mistake. This was actually meant for Juggernaught, and LMAO)

No, I think I'd remember doing that. Maybe LMAO means, in a literal sense, that the muscles in the hips lose control because of the laugh, and gyrate or something. These are all physilogical experiences, so there has to be a mind/body connection to the experience. I just checked wikipedia, and it has a LOL page but nothing going into the physical sets of muscle relaxation or tension which would create this. Maybe this thread could be of real meaning and an addition to the science, is there a body/mind expert in the house to explain the phenomena?

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
For the life of me I can't figure out what this actually means?? what is the actual definition of ROFL ?

edit on 3-2-2013 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
opps

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel
For the life of me I can't figure out what this actually means?? what is the actual definition of ROFL ?

Rolling on floor Laughing

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel

Rolling on floor laughing. The one I can't figure out is "for the life of me". You mean if you were being held in danger and had to define "ROFL" or your life would be taken, you couldn't have done it? My God man/andorwoman, catch up on the current high-tech initials or get yourself a bodyguard.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I actually have rolled on the floor laughing several times! When my hubby isn't out of town working we have "card night" at our home at least a few times per week. While we are playing my hubby and his best friend are constantly spouting off jokes and "cut downs" back and forth all evening. There have been several times that I have literally fallen out of my chair and rolled on the floor laughing so hard my ribs and my face hurt! I would repeat some of the offending materials here but I would probably be in extreme violation of T&C and would get post-banned immediately!

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

I actually have rolled on the floor laughing several times! When my hubby isn't out of town working we have "card night" at our home at least a few times per week. While we are playing my hubby and his best friend are constantly spouting off jokes and "cut downs" back and forth all evening. There have been several times that I have literally fallen out of my chair and rolled on the floor laughing so hard my ribs and my face hurt! I would repeat some of the offending materials here but I would probably be in extreme violation of T&C and would get post-banned immediately!

Ah, then we are among the few, the proud, the FOTCROFL. My question to you is, have you used the initials since having had the experience? It's like saying "Fly by night" without ever having flew by night, or escaped from someone at night. Those "card nights" sound like fun evenings!

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Actually I cannot recall ever using that particular acronym. I have used LOL but that's about the extent of my text and posting shorthand. A lot of the time I have to ask for these acronyms to be defined by the person who used them. I guess I'm just too old to "get it".

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Oh Gawd Little...I remember times I've rolled on the floor laughing so damn hard, I couldn't breath. Even had a couple of times, I've damped my pants.....

It's cathartic to laugh like that. Downright therapeutic sometimes. Laughter is healing in many ways.

Des

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

You would absolutely love it at our house Des- you dang near need to wear Depends around this place! We like to joke that if a stranger stood outside the door and just eaves dropped they would swear they were outside of a hen house due to all of the nonstop cackling!

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

It has actually happened once for me. The first time I saw Liar Liar with Jim Carrey. We were in a movie theatre and had front row seats and at one point I laughed so hard I slid out of my chair

It also almost happened today. I was watching an old clip of a Jerry Lewis movie and something about it tickled my funny bone. It wasn't even that hilarious but once I got going i couldn't stop. I had to stumble upstairs to get my father to help distract me.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Yes I can vividly remember rofling!!
My gut hurt for a few days.
What was sooooo dern funny you ask???

Starting about 55 secs in the pain ensues.
edit on 3-2-2013 by g146541 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bronagh

It has actually happened once for me. The first time I saw Liar Liar with Jim Carrey. We were in a movie theatre and had front row seats and at one point I laughed so hard I slid out of my chair

It also almost happened today. I was watching an old clip of a Jerry Lewis movie and something about it tickled my funny bone. It wasn't even that hilarious but once I got going i couldn't stop. I had to stumble upstairs to get my father to help distract me.

You're another front row seat person. I like the second or third row at most, but very seldom have anyone in front of me. So maybe there's a connection between the psychology and body response of front row seat people and this phenomena. Now we're getting someplace, a theory about FOTCROFL that can be proved or disproved with more accounts if not medical evidence. Liar Liar is a very funny movie. Jerry Lewis never got to me, although I admit I've never tried his films much. But I did ROFL watching one of his telethons! (well, no I didn't, but couldn't resist)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

OW! You are a sick, sick, puppy. LOL.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
Sometimes I write SOL (smiling out loud).

um SOL means S# Out of Luck.

I don't get why people get so upset about the lol expression and rofl expression. They are idiomatic expressions. It means you use them to convey something, it's not supposed to be taken literally,.

There's so many idiomatic expressions in the English language. Most of them you use and don't even realize what you're saying isn't literally what you're saying.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join