It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Invasion of the Twitter Mentality, is killing ATS

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Couldn’t agree more OP,

Wall and walls of text really do my head in at times but at the same time these threads that have the “look at my pretty picture” or “look what YouTube says” one liners I really doing my head it. I keep seeing these threads that consist on 10 words. What is even more annoying is when this is raised as a matter of constructive criticism to the OP usually someone jumps down your throat.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
My only excuse is the inspiration has left the room.
The mystery has been solved and debunked so many times (so they say) .
The thrill is gone ,left to those of a different generation.I grew up with out computers and the internet.
The world is changing around us,Des and we are a witness to it.
Either accept it or do something about it.
But I feel that is a battle that will be lost.

Peace,
K

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CristobalColonic

Originally posted by Destinyone
Is is just me. I find every other thread I click open, has an opening post shorter than most of the titles of the thread. Sometimes, not even a complete sentence,

It's just you, and War & Peace is that-a-way >>===>

'Brevity is the soul of whit ' -Willy Shake

The proverb 'brevity is the soul of wit' means that articulate and intelligent communication (speech and writing) should use few and wisely chosen words. It is best associated with the play 'Hamlet,' by William Shakespeare.

Source

Brevity

: shortness of duration; especially : shortness or conciseness of expression

Source

Brevity does not mean lack of content, it means something a little more than that, as the above demonstrates. Beezzer quoted this too. But look at his threads and posts. He obviously knows what it means.
edit on 2/3/2013 by Klassified because: correction

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
reply to post by lacrimaererum

That's why I think they should encode it in. If you couldn't submit your post or reply until you had enough words or characters then it would take some of the weight off of the Mods.

There are a lot of us on here at any given time of the day.
We can't expect the Mods to catch everything.

It's up to the poster to read and follow the rules so you can't blame the Mods for that.

They don't care. The site owners that is....

They want that MONEY.

A 2 word right wing propaganda thread with some fanatic youtube video attached to it is going to get them a lot of ad clicks.

edit on 3-2-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

You KNOW that the site owners dont care?? Funny, any time Ive ever spoken to S.O he has a great love for the site and personalized the software himself to cater to the members where he can. He does a hell of a lot and YOU are using it for FREE. This is my 2nd acct.. in all of the yrs Ive been here, the owners and admins go well out of their way to provide a hell of a forum for us.. even for people like you who dont appreciate it or comprehend what it takes to run a site of this size and what all it encompasses.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Dear Destinyone,

I have to agree with your OP. We have a texting society. The schools are not even teaching handwriting anymore. In China they are no longer writing using the characters that they used to use because of cell phones and texting. ATS is merely a reflection of society so we should expect it to creep in to the site. It is still much better than another site that will go unnamed where everything is a sentence or two at best. My fear is that we are losing our ability to have deep thoughts as we destroy our language and the twitter conversations dumb down the complexity of issues into for and against. S&F.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Yes, twitterist and their, "I can't watch the video (or read the whole posting) at this time because I'm at work/school." has decidedly helped kill ATS. And the FB crowd was not an improvement even if it lured advertisters because of the bigger numbers. Add poor grammar, spelling, etc. from those sources and you had a degrading of the media that is absolutely revolting to some.

Plus, there are other factors, I rarely sign in anymore and keep vowing to never create another thread. Why? Because the nay-sayer, be they shills for various agencies and governments or plain non-thinking mouth breathers have driven me to take a back seat to being a member of ATS.

Lastly, I believe that there is a certain amount of government control over ATS (they will deny that to their last subscriber) which causes them to self-censor threads in any one of various ways to escape outright censorship. Plus, what they can't or won't do, the shills pop up to do their dirty work. At any rate, they are self-destructing whether by within by their own hand or by outside influences. Am I overly paranoid on this matter. I would admit, "Yes, but perhaps safely so...." Actually, all you have to do is critically look at all media to know that something if seriously wrong, so why should ATS be given a waiver?

You task is to wonder about what is going on in the world that is causing these very minor things we are discussing here and the bigger operations behind bringing these changes. It is simple. The grand mechanism being put into play is the NWO, And if you want a decent explanation for the "why?" of the termoil that it will bring during the conversion, well, the ETs said do it or else we would be very sorry.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear Destinyone,

I have to agree with your OP. We have a texting society. The schools are not even teaching handwriting anymore. In China they are no longer writing using the characters that they used to use because of cell phones and texting. ATS is merely a reflection of society so we should expect it to creep in to the site. It is still much better than another site that will go unnamed where everything is a sentence or two at best. My fear is that we are losing our ability to have deep thoughts as we destroy our language and the twitter conversations dumb down the complexity of issues into for and against. S&F.

I agree.I had to have special permission for my 5th grade son to learn cursive!
You know what that is right? Not bad words but a form of writing.
Not directed at you,AQuestion,but towards to those who do not know.
The hand written letter,the thought that it takes to do that is slowly disappearing.
And with the auto correct and spell check,the dumbing down is more prevalent.

Heck,I go crazy when it tells me I'm spelling something wrong when I am not.

I'm guessing "dumbing" is not a real word.A slang word,?

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I witnessed this just this week many times. It bothers me too because I try to put some effort into my threads that I write. Just this week I saw a thread that mostly had a giant quote and sentence or two and a YouTube vid getting almost a 100 flags,amazing!

At least talk about what you are presenting and your personal feelings on the matter. Describe the video a little too,for those who cant watch the vid. I was thinking of writing a thread about my feelings on the matter, well you beat me too it and I'm glad you wrote it thanks. S&F
edit on 3-2-2013 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Right wing fanatics make people more money than anyone else of the political spectrum. They are the easiest to pimp out and fear peddle to. Hence why this site has nothing but right wing biased modding, (with the exception of maybe Hefficide.) Overlord has power when he wants to...just look how quick he cracked down on Sandy Hook vicSim threads.

He does a hell of a lot and YOU are using it for FREE

Basic TV programming is free too......they make their money off the ads. Except, at least they make their own original content. ATS is dependent on user generated content and ad clicks.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

I disagree with you on this matter. I appreciate the flexibility ATS presents to us as FREE members. It takes a lot of effort on both the owners, and Mods parts, to keep things from becoming a cluster-you-know-what here.

I've been to the free-for-all sites...they are all the same. Ugly, and not conducive to any kind of actual debate.

ATS is my primary internet home away from home. I like that when I log in, I will find it hasn't imploded since the last time I was here. I like that I will find a lot of the same quality members that I enjoy reading, and learning new things from are still here posting new and interesting topics..

JMOHO....

Des

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

ATS presents to us as FREE members

So is the first five channels on USA TV. What is the point of mentioning that ATS is free? ATS is dependent on user generated content, it should be free.

It takes a lot of effort on both the owners, and Mods parts, to keep things from becoming a cluster-you-know-what here.

Really? Because they have no problem with words like "libtards" and nearly every other form of political trolling directed at non-right wing extremists.......

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Yep. In 50 years kdog, your great great grandchildren will have to have an expert decode and translate a letter you write in cursive today. Comforting thought, isn't it?

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

Yep. In 50 years kdog, your great great grandchildren will have to have an expert decode and translate a letter you write in cursive today. Comforting thought, isn't it?

What happened?
My grandchildren will not know cursive.It's sad when you have to read a child the letter they're grandmother sent them.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Personally if someone posts something and does not relay their opinion of the matter, I'll politely move along (maybe with a confused and bewildered attempt at asking what it is they're discussing, despite if 'its in the video dude'.)

Youtube is the problem. Twitter not so much, youtube had a comment system that prevents a proper discourse on a topic. But then, they are not for lengthy discussion, and merely for 'comment'. So we can't really blame it for how it translates to ATS.

However, as more and more people use youtube to make themselves a pretty profile of adobe after effects and music, and with a slight interest in things discussed on ATS, they seem to feel it's worth our time to watch their 5 minute intro and 4 minute credits with 20 seconds of something else.

I know ATS limit the length of posts (never work outside the ats editor only to find all your work slides off into the ether at the end) .. and sometimes all that is required is a question or an answer, which imo render a minumum limit problematic (and fills a post with redundant words)..

I treat a post with a video the same way I would treat someone who refuses to correct grammatical or spelling errors... if they simply can't be arsed.. neither can I.

There's plenty of reasonable opinion to discuss.. I'm certainly not interested in doing their work and mine.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I agree. Put a good deal of time into a lengthy post like that (that went largely ignored) recently. Here it is, if you're interested:

The Archives of Scientists' Transcendent Experiences

edit on 3-2-2013 by deometer because: FIXED LINK

edit on 3-2-2013 by deometer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Originally posted by Klassified

What happened?
My grandchildren will not know cursive.It's sad when you have to read a child the letter they're grandmother sent them.

I heard on the radio recently (AM no less omg) someone who mentioned that at their place of work, they received a letter complimenting them on their work.. Anyway, they made the point of noting that the letter was written by an elderly person. The evidence for this was that it was a hand written letter, and in legible and neat cursive.

No doubt there will be an app that simulates hand writing, in the future. Not just a font, but one that uses a form of heuristics that adapt the writing to a specific users mannerisms. Probably uses the camera to detect who is using the phone so it can more accurately relay the individuals writing style. Maybe with a voice recorded copy.

Stored in a cloud, on top of a mountain buried deep inside an apple, on the wings of fairies gathering pixie dust at the google multiplex...

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I see what you're saying and I agree. But hold it! I see you make one-line, minimal responses all the time
Granted, you're not the original poster in those cases and it isn't your thread. But if you want to complain about the twitter mentality, please look in the mirror before condemning others.

Lead by example if you want to see change.
edit on 3-2-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Granted I do reply with, what is this video about, or what is this thread about. It's not my job to fill in all the information for the OP of a thread. I've started very few threads on ATS. But, when I do, I make sure to tend to my threads with replies and all information I can find to questions from participants in my threads. I will try to take to heart your input in future replies. I'm not on ATS to write a book with each post. Some minimal replies are appropriate.to the post I'm responding to.

Des

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Thanks for acknowledging my reply. Can I say something? --and I mean this with absolute objectivity; it's nothing personal here..

I see you make A LOT of minimal responses of two types: 1) the "Where's the evidence?" type post, and 2) the post that ridicules others. AND you tend to get a lot of stars=attention for such posts.

Okay, but here's the drawback: when I, or someone else sees a one-line post like that, especially the kind that ridicule the OP, combined with a robust portion of stars...it only encourages others to follow that route.

Again, this is just my observation...and you're definitely not sole example of this trend. I have probably been guilty of these types of posts a couple of times.

I think some of us who take this site seriously, like you and I, should put more effort into our posts, otherwise it just encourages the wrong kind of behavior on this site.

edit on 3-2-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
it really annoys me as well
at least explain the thread

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join