It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The illusion of a western culture

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

When that will be true, then that will be fine.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Whats going on is a global homogenisation of culture. The emerging monoculture is centred in the west purely because thats been where the economic strength has been for the last couple of hundred years. The economic strength funded the huge entrainment industry and marketing muscle thats exported 'western' culture worldwide.

As the centre of economic power balance shifts eastward eastern culture will become more prevalent in the mix. The flexibility of the english language means that a lot of the hybridised words found in 'chinglish' and 'hinglish' will be accepted back into the english lexicon.

Cultures that are facing forwards and are economically productive have nothing to fear. Only stagnant cultures running on fear and dogma will vanish without trace.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
Whats going on is a global homogenisation of culture. The emerging monoculture is centred in the west purely because thats been where the economic strength has been for the last couple of hundred years. The economic strength funded the huge entrainment industry and marketing muscle thats exported 'western' culture worldwide.

As the centre of economic power balance shifts eastward eastern culture will become more prevalent in the mix. The flexibility of the english language means that a lot of the hybridised words found in 'chinglish' and 'hinglish' will be accepted back into the english lexicon.

Cultures that are facing forwards and are economically productive have nothing to fear. Only stagnant cultures running on fear and dogma will vanish without trace.

So basically the whole world is going to eventually be like Toronto, then.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I've always thought globalization was about assimilation and not about tolerance or diversity. While it sells itself about tolerance it's really about assimilating into the Consumerist Borg. Resistance is futile!

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Every spiritual influenced culture is bad; since it needs spiritual influence.

Nail me down.
edit on 3-2-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Draw a line across America. South of that line western culture is alive and struggling to maintain it. North of that line is basically chaos trying to destroy it. I say "ain't", That word comes from the beginnings of America and is just one small example of western culture alive and well. We make moonshine in the hills. George Washington would be proud. Western culture may be dead in half of America, not all though. We will keep it alive through hunting,fishing,farming,moonshining and saying ain't among other things. We will tell the temperature with crickets. We will plant our crops at the right time using natures signals.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

But that is the true west

I envy those who live of the land, it's hard but it's a honest way to live and what is better than being fully independent.

The OP though is trying to portray our cultures as the same, all the US, UK, Netherlands, France etc we are all one big culture.
Something that is just a poor judgement to make, for instance you're culture and what it's evolved from is completely different from from mine and where I live, though we may share the same roots at some point in history and may even have similar heritage and ways in our cultures, we are not one culture though infact I find that down-right offensive tbh

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Cultured (cultivated) means civilized - which means trained.
edit on 4-2-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

I don't know what I'm talking about, but the U.S. is hard to understand too. I mainly aimed at the U.S.A.

It's what we hear, not what I've experienced there in person, but still, I have my thoughts on it.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

I don't know what I'm talking about, but the U.S. is hard to understand too. I mainly aimed at the U.S.A.

The US is a melting pot of culture, you have access to internet it would not be hard to find history on the U.S.A, I apologize if I came across offensive, just that I thought you were trolling and I found what you said offensive. Whatever the US government have done against you and your people please remember these governments seldom rarely ever actually represent us.

It's what we hear, not what I've experienced there in person, but still, I have my thoughts on it.

I hear a lot too, does not mean I should believe it. by the way who are we? Care to share?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I think I harbored to much impersonal hate and just wanted to get it out, and this amount the wrong way. I sincerely thank you for coming back the way you did.

Well, what 'we' hear. Ah, reminds me, I need to deal with my hate. Reading across the internet and not able to 'fulfill' my hate. Having no outlet. I should let it rest, or get busy with it. But maybe I have to travel then..???????????????? questionmarks. What would it be if I came to hate aliens? How do I vent that. Internetsurfing ain't always healthy, or I should handle what I read well.

Where I live, south of you, [we're confused]. Why 'we'?, when I think now I'm the only one.

I think I went forth out of the thought everyone was just like me, but they are.

Band: Korn Song: Clown: "Throw your hate at me, with all your might."[color]

I'll be fine.

Thx for the refuel.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join