It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should domestic cats be eradicated to protect wildlife?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

Yes, and there have been issues since that. She got two more cats (total of four) after I threw her out. We had 50/50 shared custody of our two children for a while. while she had them one week, I got a call from the elementary school. My son's backpack smelled so of cat urine that they had to bag it up and send his things home in a school provided backpack. This occurred twice. I even had to speak to the school nurse about it.... because they wanted to know about the sanitary conditions in the home.
Since then, she only has them two days a week.

edit on 4-2-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Our outside cats (2) kill squirrels and a few birds. They also kill a lot of mice that would be a major problem. If the cats weren't here the population of squirrels would soar and the coyotes would be hunting in my yard. I look at everything to determine if these cats are ok outside. I would definitely have a mouse problem here with all my relatives coming to live in my house. When I was building the house the property was full of mice, now there are just a few here and the squirrels don't chew up my rakes and shovels that are sitting outside looking for the salt on the handles. I'd rather have the cats than coyotes any day in the yard.

link   
reply to post by Unity_99

some people are good souls who adopt lost and homeless cats/dogs, and struggle to feed them,

Not this one, don't dare to glance in her direction, she will start ranting and raving.

Which is why I believe this
abcnews.go.com...

In her case anyway.

link   
Cat? That is a house beast... We love each other, but, they are great hunters...
Especialy monsters of hunting stuff from refrigirator...

edit on 4-2-2013 by dragnik because: additional text

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I don't have a problem with a couple of cats, I have a problem with dozens of cats roaming all over my yard pooping in my flower beds, and carrying their poop into the house on my shoes and I don't even own one, for some reason they all want to live in my yard.
Maybe it is because she sets their food out in the empty lots on each side of my house, she lives across the street, I asked her, hey why don't you feed them on your side of the street.

She freaks out.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by Beast Of Gevaudan

reply to post by HelenConway

This is a non argument against cats,

Correct.
Most people that bring the point up would not tolerate the filthy things living in their house, so it is really a non- argument. The people that love cats that much don't care if it is filthy in their house.

This is one of the dumbest comments I've ever read! Domestic cats, as opposed to strays, are generally clean. I don't know what rock you've been living under but most people don't let stray animals into their home.

You don't have to like cats, but get a clue before making a comment in future.

Coming from a person that agrees with keeping an animal in their house that craps in a box, that really hurts.

Think about this: Restaurants (in most developed countries that have sanitary regulations) are not allowed to keep pets in the restaurant. (One exception would be guide animals.)

Why do you suppose that would be?

Restaurants are restaurants. By restaurant standards I'd guess 99% of ATS members are filthy slobs.

Most the rules for restaurants are excessive and ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandStrategy

So you think that restaurants should keep cats in the kitchen?

I don't like the idea. I have been in quite a few commercial kitchens. My house is much cleaner.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

All my kids own cats, we are dog owner ourselves, but I have a hard time eating at their homes when I see the kitty go to the kitty box scratch about do his business then hopping on the table and kitchen counters,''ew.
I mentioned it to my daughter one time, she said she never thought about it, she then made the attempt to keep the kitty off the kitchen table.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

Only a complete slob would make a sandwich on a counter that they even suspect a cat has walked on without cleaning it first. Most cat owners I know with any sense already have our cats trained to stay off counters,

Kudos to you, because every cat owner I know, and have ever known personally, has cats all over the tables and counters.

edit on 012828p://bMonday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I suppose we should eradicate otters: Otter eats goldfish

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

My cats stay away from food prep areas as do my dogs. I am not saying stray hairs do not fall off of clothes from time to time, but when they do half the time it is dog hair. My cats have their liter box in the basement, this is also where they eat.

My pets do not lick my face, and any time I touch them or anything else I wash before fixing my food.

Cats and dogs can be trained to obey, the biggest problem is getting people to be cleaner themselves.

Raist

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by USN1983
All the anti-cat people should be eradicated.

There is a difference between anti cat and anti feral cat hoarders, these cats are not taken care of

5 Most Dangerous Cat Diseases
animal.discovery.com...

My dogs are required to have their shot and there is no patience for stray dogs in this town, they make sure the pick them up.

Now since 2012 cats have been required to have rabies shots or be on leashes as well, but because there are so many strays they don't have the resources to enforce it.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

reply to post by GrandStrategy

So you think that restaurants should keep cats in the kitchen?

I don't like the idea. I have been in quite a few commercial kitchens. My house is much cleaner.

I don't think restaurants should keep cats in the kitchen, at the same time if I knew there was a cat or dog in the kitchen it wouldn't bother me one bit. Why should it? I'm more worried about the ingredients in the food!

I've worked in professional kitchens, my family own/owned professional kitchens, we still go back home and cook dinner in the same kitchen our pets eat in. Why? because many of the requirements for a professional kitchen are utterly daft.

Overt cleanliness is actually dangerous for your health, especially the health of your child. It's a disease that breeds weak human beings who cannot even fight of the most harmless of winter colds. Allergies, breathing problems, all contributed to by households like your own. You're crippling your immune system and putting yourself at risk to many things, including heart disease. Case in point, it was determined that the healthiest people who lived in britain were farming families. That growing cleanliness is driving nut allergies, that children in a house hold with pets have a stronger immune system, and much more.

www.dailymail.co.uk... xzz2JrUXylEj

If your house is cleaner than a commercial kitchen then your house is a very unhealthy place to live in, I'll tell you that much for free.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I recently just nursed my dog back to heath she had caught pneumonia, two months of watching her suffer, was horrible, it is really rare for a dog to catch pneumonia, I often wonder about all the sickly cats,

You are a responsible pet owner, unlike the lady that allows the neighborhood kitties to roam sick all over the neighborhood.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I remember back in my Natural Resources class that we went to a field trip to one of the local state parks. We met with a DNR officer (dept. of natural resources) and he mentioned that "Any good conservation officer will shoot any cat he sees in the park." I was like, WOW, because I like cats. But I do understand his point. My cat is a killer- mice, chipmunks, baby rabbits, moles, birds, bats and even once a small black snake. I try to keep him inside, but he was a stray and once they get a taste for the outside you can't keep them inside. He'll wait by the door and dash out so fast you hardly notice. He usually eats whatever he catches, so I don't feel quite so bad.
edit on 4-2-2013 by chrome413 because: punctuation

edit on 4-2-2013 by chrome413 because: spelling- sorry, last time i'll edit this

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Creep Thumper

You know personally I couldn't hurt a fly, but do you believe letting sick cats spread disease to other cats is humane? Letting them suffer and die under a porch in the cold of winter .

We live in delicate ecosystems, and over abundance of any critter upsets the delicate balance.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by amraks
I have 12 budgies to protect from stray cats.

Do you cage them ? I find that caging birds is so wrong too.
Being good stewards of this planet is a good thing but
when human ego is fed by caging birds,
or killing/manipulating nature to boost one's ego then it
is destructive in the long run.
Unfortunately there are people who despise the freedom
of nature and it's beauty.
I unfortunately know of people who even hate songbirds
being in their yard, saying that they are noisy . . .so they
poison them
The human race is often mentally challenged.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ToneDeaf

I love my song birds, the ones the kitties are eating.

I wish the cats had homes.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

There was a case in Pennsylvania where a man was convicted of killing a bald eagle, it was raiding a fish hatchery and eating their trout.

My uncle raised koi in a pond at his farm. Great Blue herons came in and ate the koi. He would scare them off, they would come right back and gobble some more.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

You know personally I couldn't hurt a fly, but do you believe letting sick cats spread disease to other cats is humane? Letting them suffer and die under a porch in the cold of winter .

We live in delicate ecosystems, and over abundance of any critter upsets the delicate balance.

There was no imbalance until man started destroying ecosystems to suit his own needs.

Eradicating one species to save another is foolish and inhumane. Haven't we done enough damage?

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join