It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Should domestic cats be eradicated to protect wildlife?

page: 12
16
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hollie

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas

they tried eliminating cats for religious reasons and that compounded the black plague and lead to many more people dying then needed to due to superstitions and irrational fears.


And we all know that every mammal dies of plaque, cats, dogs, and even rats. To say that killing cats caused it doesn't seem right to me, especially if rats die from it. Maybe it was the filthy humans spreading fleas in their bedding, clothing, wigs, etc. ?



Rats carried the fleas that carried the plague virus... cats killed the rats, therefore killing the cats led to an increase in the rat population - so more fleas carried to spread disease.

I am guessing it takes a cetain amount of intelligence to understand that..


edit on 4-2-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)




posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Should drinkers be eradicated because drunks kill people?
Should dogs be eradicated for pooping in the public domain?
Should children be eradicated for screaming and throwing tantrums in public?

The statistics presented warrant further examination. They are literally beyond belief.

There are cats in my mother's neighborhood and there were birds as well. Do you know when the birds disappeared? The birds disappeared when the city and her association cut down the trees.

I think someone should be investigating the destruction of habitat before vilifying the common housecat, which performs a vital service.



posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy
 


Only a complete slob would make a sandwich on a counter that they even suspect a cat has walked on without cleaning it first. Most cat owners I know with any sense already have our cats trained to stay off counters, but we still clean our counters before doing food prep work because it is just smart sanitation to do so and takes just a minute or two. Those of us with kids and cats and dogs (who also have been known to get up on counters and also lick faucets and even drink out of toilets) make extra effort to keep our kitchens clean.

Let me rephrase this...only a complete slob or most husbands would make a sandwich on a counter that....(insert the rest of the above paragraph here). I've seen men prepare and eat sandwiches on filthy workshop tables while their hands were grubby with engine grease and God knows what else. Don't be telling me about no crazy cat ladies and their kitchen counters after how, when and where I've witnessed men eat.



posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
. And so this person wins such an animal's trust and then injures and kills it. Then gloats about it on a public forum. Really sick.



Yes and their posts have not been removed, They are basically serial killers in the making - informing all and sundry about their crimes on the internet. We all know that seial killers start on defenceless animals. Why are these people allowed to post their evil ? Why is it not removed ?
edit on 4-2-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway
 

I grew up the subject of a lot of racist remarks. I actually preferred that to the politically correct era because I at least knew right up front where I stood with people. Now I have to spend a lot of time, wasted time, to find out I'm dealing with a bigot and the friendship that seems to be between us is just for show and is never going to be real just because I'm mixed race.

So, Helen, as ugly as this all is, at least we got it out on the table where we can talk about it and respond to it. There is always the possibility as long as dialogue remains open, that some minds can be opened, some attitudes can be changed, some compromises can be agreed on. It's in stifling the free speech that we shove the problems out where we can't see or deal with them, but they are still there waiting to bite us in the butt.

I understand Hollie wants to protect his/her hard work and investment and health. If we can meet Hollie part way in acknowledging there is some legitimate concern there...maybe, just maybe if Hollie isn't really in it for the joy of killing, then we can come up with ideas that can help Hollie accomplish his/her goals without killing.



posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
May I ask for calm with regard to the hated "cat killers"

They are probably just trolling and you lot are falling for it.

Anyone can claim to be anything on a forum,

As the poster above said, Cats are very fast and hard to catch.

I would like to believe that they are simply winding you all up.

Anyway, I think the Thread ended when Lampsalot said:


This guy has the same feeling towards cats that Hitler did towards Jewish people.


Peace to all (including crazy cat-ladies).



posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
reply to post by HelenConway
 

I grew up the subject of a lot of racist remarks. I actually preferred that to the politically correct era because I at least knew right up front where I stood with people. Now I have to spend a lot of time, wasted time, to find out I'm dealing with a bigot and the friendship that seems to be between us is just for show and is never going to be real just because I'm mixed race.

So, Helen, as ugly as this all is, at least we got it out on the table where we can talk about it and respond to it. There is always the possibility as long as dialogue remains open, that some minds can be opened, some attitudes can be changed, some compromises can be agreed on. It's in stifling the free speech that we shove the problems out where we can't see or deal with them, but they are still there waiting to bite us in the butt.



I find it so hard to listen to people who boast about their cruelty and they are so casual and matter of fact about it. it is like them have no conscience and no moral compass.

I feel dirty even interacting with them.

You sound like a better person then me - so good luck with teaching them about what is kind and what is cruel - I wish you well

edit on 4-2-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway
 


"I feel dirty even interacting with them."

Helen, you are not alone.



posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Cats suck. They step in their litter box then jump on your kitchen table. Filthy feces spreading parasite-having things.

Using that logic, dogs suck because they lick their butts and then they lick your face.

See, I can do that too.



posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
reply to post by butcherguy
 


Only a complete slob would make a sandwich on a counter that they even suspect a cat has walked on without cleaning it first. Most cat owners I know with any sense already have our cats trained to stay off counters, but we still clean our counters before doing food prep work because it is just smart sanitation to do so and takes just a minute or two. Those of us with kids and cats and dogs (who also have been known to get up on counters and also lick faucets and even drink out of toilets) make extra effort to keep our kitchens clean.

Let me rephrase this...only a complete slob or most husbands would make a sandwich on a counter that....(insert the rest of the above paragraph here). I've seen men prepare and eat sandwiches on filthy workshop tables while their hands were grubby with engine grease and God knows what else. Don't be telling me about no crazy cat ladies and their kitchen counters after how, when and where I've witnessed men eat.

Yes, I guess you have proven that it is not possible for feline poop in a box in your house to transmit disease to a person living in your house.


You do realize that small bits of infected dry fecal matter can become airborne and even find its way into the cupboards and land on a plate, right?

How about when the cat licks his butt and nuts, then hops into the kitchen sink to lick the faucet? (I've watched cats do it, even when they have a bowl full of water to drink) I guess only slobs get a drink of water from the sink without disinfecting it each time they use it, eh?



posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Creep Thumper

Originally posted by DaTroof
Cats suck. They step in their litter box then jump on your kitchen table. Filthy feces spreading parasite-having things.

Using that logic, dogs suck because they lick their butts and then they lick your face.

See, I can do that too.

Let's be honest here.

Dogs may lick your face, but that doesn't mean that they lick everyone else's face. Some of us don't let dogs lick our faces, no matter how much we like them.




See, I can do that too.


Interesting that you can lick your butt, but who lets you lick their face afterwards?
edit on 4-2-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
reply to post by butcherguy
 


Only a complete slob would make a sandwich on a counter that they even suspect a cat has walked on without cleaning it first. Most cat owners I know with any sense already have our cats trained to stay off counters, but we still clean our counters before doing food prep work because it is just smart sanitation to do so and takes just a minute or two. Those of us with kids and cats and dogs (who also have been known to get up on counters and also lick faucets and even drink out of toilets) make extra effort to keep our kitchens clean.

Let me rephrase this...only a complete slob or most husbands would make a sandwich on a counter that....(insert the rest of the above paragraph here). I've seen men prepare and eat sandwiches on filthy workshop tables while their hands were grubby with engine grease and God knows what else. Don't be telling me about no crazy cat ladies and their kitchen counters after how, when and where I've witnessed men eat.

Yes, I guess you have proven that it is not possible for feline poop in a box in your house to transmit disease to a person living in your house.


You do realize that small bits of infected dry fecal matter can become airborne and even find its way into the cupboards and land on a plate, right?

How about when the cat licks his butt and nuts, then hops into the kitchen sink to lick the faucet? (I've watched cats do it, even when they have a bowl full of water to drink) I guess only slobs get a drink of water from the sink without disinfecting it each time they use it, eh?


what about men who wipe their bum and then stick their hands in the communal peanut jar on the bar. It has been proven that these peanut jars are full of faeces. Most people do not wash their hands adequately and carry faecal matter on their hands.

Tests have shown men are worse then women at this. This is a non argument against cats,



posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway
 




This is a non argument against cats,

Correct.
Most people that bring the point up would not tolerate the filthy things living in their house, so it is really a non- argument. The people that love cats that much don't care if it is filthy in their house.



posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy
 


Can we keep it clean and civil please?



posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by HelenConway
 




This is a non argument against cats,

Correct.
Most people that bring the point up would not tolerate the filthy things living in their house, so it is really a non- argument. The people that love cats that much don't care if it is filthy in their house.

I think you have bigger issues than hating cats.



posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Theflyingweldsman
 


Perhaps you should examine the human record. Man kills for the worst reasons: lust, greed, envy. Mostly greed.



posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
[Correct.
Most people that bring the point up would not tolerate the filthy things living in their house, so it is really a non- argument.


yet your wife allows you in your house ?



posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I'm sort of torn as to what I support. I like cats and I like biodiversity. My thinking is that it's always survival of the fittest. I'd like to think pet owners could be responsible and at least try to keep their cats confined and sterile. And I wouldn't be happy to know all the kiwis are gone, but that's just natural selection at work, I guess. However, it seems counter intuitive toward the whole theory of Darwinian evolution to eradicate all the feral cats on the island. Is having to compete with the cat predators actually something that would make the kiwi and other native species adapt and eventually become stronger?

However, I'm not a New Zealander, so they can do that they want. Just my 1 1/2 cents worth.



posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
What kind of a stupid question is that?
Of course not!

Human beings do more harm to wildlife than any other creature.

I hate the fact that some people think we have the right to kill an animal because it's viewed as a "pest". Meanwhile forgetting the fact that we are the biggest pest of them all



posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Creep Thumper
 


Perhaps you should examine the Title of the OP.



Should domestic cats be eradicated to protect wildlife?


I suffered a loss and was having an anti-cat day when I saw this thread.

I know that Homo Sapien is worse for wildlife than cats,

but I don't know anyone who kills for fun.

I will also chase people out of my garden if they try fishing for my Goldfish.

You have been warned....

edit on 4/2/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: none







 
16
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

log in

join