It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost History

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by beautyofperil

Just thought i'd point out that the burning of the Library of Alexandria was pre Christianity. Not a fan of organised religion myself but to be fair we can't really blame this particular religious organisation for an act that predates it can we?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by CristobalColonic
Much of history is BS because it's written by the victors.

Oh yea and Maya history is filled with a lot of BS. Lots of good info on those stone walls to glean out but its still largly state propaganda.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Just thought i'd point out that the burning of the Library of Alexandria was pre Christianity. Not a fan of organised religion myself but to be fair we can't really blame this particular religious organisation for an act that predates it can we?

yea and dont forget the Chines King that killed all the scribes and burnt reams of history.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by beautyofperil
reply to post by cowgomoo

I put a nice picture up for the source of the rubbish you speak of. It is called the Popol Vuh.
edit on 3-2-2013 by beautyofperil because: (no reason given)

Wikipedia has translations of the book here, and if you can read Spanish, you can confirm the Wikipedia version which does not match what you were told. Other texts of this book exist (you can read them in the original) and they also do not seem to match what you were told.

I can read the Spanish to some extent. It does, however, suffer from its original writer, who was a Catholic missionary.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I personally do believe that religion has limited scientific progress. Though, with that being said I am not necessarily against religion. Though fundamentalists do bother me. The one aspect I don't like about certain religions is the label of sinners for non-violent actions or things that don't truly effect the accuser. For example, in christianity I would be much happier if some christians left the judging to their god.

Anyways, to relate to the topic here is a graph that describes the consequences of christianity in the dark ages. I think the whole organized religion is responsible for this, I believe the heads of the church are corrupt and are responsible for limiting scientific progression to maintain control.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

The Mayan - Popol Vuh, states,"Men came from the stars, knowing everything, and they examined the four corners of the sky and the Earth's round surface."

Here are two different full-text versions of the Popul Vuh.
Link 1

Link 2
You won't find the above quote in either.

The Mayan Chilam Balaam texts stated, "Beings descended from the sky in flying vessels... white men in flying rings, who can touch the sky."

What do you want to bet that the above isn't in the Chilam Balaam? No time now, so why don't you check for us?

Don't believe every single thing put up on some fringe website.

Harte

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

And what makes you sure yours is so justifiably correct? And its not my imagination its simply what I researched so whichever is true, no one can know for sure now can we? So I suggest you take a different stand agaisnt my theory as I put right in the thread that I merely presented the facts plastered over the internet, and tried to prove it.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Thanks for correction.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Right but how do you account for it being the victor's version?

Here is a link to some information on the views of what it actually is.

Link

I personally liked the last paragraph on the first page of this link in relation to it.

edit on 4-2-2013 by beautyofperil because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

I already did check and uncovered the one that I believe. So why don't you check and tell me why I should believe yours?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by vendettent

What an enlightening response, thank you.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I loved the idea about the Spanish ships containing some kind of technology that could be responsible for the goings on around the Bermuda Triangle. Never heard of that one before!

Nice little read, thanks!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MrConspiracy

Your most certainly welcome my friend

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

So you don't believe my theory, I'm ok with that, it is after all a theory. But why do you say that about the writing on the walls? What about the marvelous pyramids? The fact that they had one of the largest populations in the world at the time? The Mayan Calendar? They must of been doing something right. The Spanish could of colonized Africa for it's gold which was much much closer, but they singled out to the new world and attacked the cultures? Why? Sorry I could not get that through to you in the OP, I hope you have learned something here today.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Care to elaborate?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

THE "Popol Vuh" is the New World's richest mythological book. It is Mayan in origin. You should have an understanding of something before you call it rubbish. Thanks for the thread OP..
edit on 4-2-2013 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I still love Jesus and what he was about and there's nothing wrong with teaching children about the love of God, it doesn't have to be literalist fundamentalist conservative evangelical, and there are many wonderful church communities and people out there and a lot of wonderful charity done in the name of Christian love.

The history of man and of the use of religion as a tool of power, is another matter. Just don't blame Jesus, that would be absurd.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Don't be a dork. Your avatar says it all where your bias is.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

Does it, oh I guess it does, but maybe there's more to it than someone might assume at first glance.. maybe it's about our liberation, not to live solely in a materialist reality, but a spiritual and psychological liberation from anything and everything that might otherwise constrain or hinder our full and free self expression, including and perhaps even especially, religion, which Jesus didn't seem to be a big fan of himself. I simply ask the question of it's meaning and significance and like C.S. Lewis I've come to the inexorable conclusion that "God's compulsion is our liberation."

"Religion is a defense against having an authentic spiritual experience."
~ Carl Jung

What we need is something more alive, more vivifying and revitalizing than a dead and dry, nihilistic, materialist atheism, on the one hand, or a dead and dry ritualized, dogmatic religious observance on the other. Both are equally fanatical and extreme and both are just as blind and ignorant to the truth as the other.

So I wasn't being a "dork" and of course I'm hoping to express something meaningful with my avatar, but the one thing I wish to convey more than anything is the value of having "an authentic theological framework by which to enter the fray with one's entire being" (Jung again).

I don't want people to be lost kiddies on the net who can't offer much in the way of thoughtful discussion than a chatroom name call, but I see what you might have been thinking/assuming so I felt it would be helpful to clarify, and in case you didn't notice, there's an underlying mirth to it all, and that's something else I don't want people to lose is their sense of humor, their mirth and their charm.

So if I was being a "dork" fine because if that's the case it was intentional, but not intended to provoke, only to evoke and to draw a distinction between ignorance and the search for a well reasoned argument in favor of mutuality, love and the brotherhood of man - absent which we're utterly screwed. And hey if you're not part of the solution then you are just another part of the problem right?

Well reasoned optimism is a beautiful thing, and what brings it to the fore is the prospect of peril whereby all was lost, including a possibility of absolute liberation prepared for us as our birthright and inheritance, from the time before time.. I don't think anyone wants that, not even the most staunch atheist.

After all, who among us would throw away all ancient wisdom literature of the ages, just to sharpen their own biased axe in utter hatred of ALL things "religious". Wouldn't the "devil" just like for us to throw out the baby with the bathwater..

So I'm here with my avatar to take a stand in the name of God's love and righteousness, and to ask you to think about things that you've never thought about or considered before.

Best Regards,

NAM

P.S. I presume you were referring to my avatar, and not the OP's.

edit on 4-2-2013 by NewAgeMan because: edit

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

I didn't mean to kill the thread, but one has to look at these things from every possible angle and POV, and if you really got or grokked (to borrow a term from Robert Heinlein's A Stranger in a Strange Land) what I'm trying to communicate you'd see it, that point where from every angle and perspective and POV is presented and experienced, a limitless love, within a boundless domain of absolute freedom and liberation. A Liberation not just for one's self however, but for the sake of everyone else as well, and while "the last are first and the first last", as we all know the very best things are always reserved for last, held in reserve for the sake of love and to uphold love in the midst of the twin pillars of Justice and Mercy which bend across the full depth and breadth of all being and becoming, and given freely to all who seek it, as the tree of life and the non-dual flow of eternal life as it is "let all who thirst freely come and let all who hear say come and freely drink the living water"..

It is said that the domain of all knowledge, which to be real knowledge must be self knowledge and self realization, until it is known, resides in the domain of the unknown unknown or what we didn't even know we didn't know.

I am here to say that it's a joke (real knowledge), at our own expense or at the expense of all our prior ignorance and who we took ourselves to be, before, not as we are now..

If you got it, you would slam your hand down on the desk in front of you or on your leg (don't hit the cat) and burst out laughing in utter hilarity, and you would know what Jesus was really up to, while making an utter mockery and laughing stock out of the institution called the "Christian Church" or what might be called "Churchianity" who were so busy worshiping Jesus like an idol that they didn't realize the degree to which he was also their true friend ie: they didn't know him.

The church has much to apologize for, but not Jesus, nope. He did what was necessary and a necessary suffering (as opposed to an unnecessary one) is the very hallmark of spiritual and psychological growth and well being. It's still functional in other words, but at a whole other order, but yet one which is still forever imminently practical and immediate (urgent).

We must slough off all human ignorance and while aspects of religion are one, the heart at the core of it is "the light of the world" relative to which every absurdity will come to light and perish in still more laughter at the end of the age, which gets funnier as things get ever darker (before the dawn), because the light when it dawns is the light of reason and truth which is also the knowledge of experience and therefore the humor of true understanding.

"Life is a Mighty Joke. He who knows this can hardly be understood by others. He who does not know it finds himself in a state of delusion. He may ponder over this problem day and night, but will find himself incapable of knowing it. Why? People take life seriously, and God lightly; whereas we must take God seriously, and take life lightly. Then, we know that we always were the same and will ever remain the same.......the Originator of this joke. This knowledge is not acheived by reasoning.
But it is the knowledge of experience."

~ Meher Baba

edit on 4-2-2013 by NewAgeMan because: of love.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join