Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

American POWs held in Dartmoor Prison in 1812.

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Dartmoor Prison is a scary sort of a place, it is a bleak moor in Southern England. It was at one time Englands sort of Alcatraz.

Dartmoor - a desolate and ancient moor abounds with myths and spooky legends - such as the 'devils footprints' and has inspired some creepy tales such as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's ' The Hound of the Baskervilles.'

What I have just found out though is that it was built by French POWs and American POWs, apparently over 6000 Americans were held prisoner here during the 1812 war, although most were held in Halifax, Canada, this group were shipped across the Atlantic to England.

I find that quite bizarre from a 20th / 21st century perspective. It seems that the prisoners at the time also were building the place, so it was partically built by American POWs.

Anyway - I thought you guys may find this quite interesting or not

Today, people visit Princetown and are drawn by some fascination to have a peek at the one-time infamous Dartmoor Prison and I should imagine that their thoughts on the austere, granite fortress vary. Some shiver and walk away whilst others will sympathise with those locked behind its high walls.

The below link talks about the tales of the American Prisoners stuck in this bleak hell hole of a prison.

Link to the Dartmoor Prison site:
www.dartmoor-prison.co.uk...

edit on 2-2-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)
edit on 2-2-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Nice post op
I have a vague recollection of this
I used to live on dartmoor in my youth, many moons ago not far from Princetown and dartmoor prison and remember the riots there in the late 80's when a bunch of prisoners baracaded themselves onto the roof ..........not the brightest of ideas, as it was said 'the last place you want to be when you break out of prison is on dartmoor' or words to that effect
A true case of out of the frying pan
edit on 3-2-2013 by Neocrusader because: Auto

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Hell prisons and camps is the Stalinist regime and thousands of camps in Siberia. That's where he was a living hell.

join