Thursday: A Decision I Must Make With Life-Changing Consequences. Advice?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by smyleegrl

I am thinking if there is a way to go public ...at the meeting and not lose your job...perhaps bring in the (power of the media ) into this mix. Make sure there are people there from local TV and radio stations and newspapers. I am thinking if you choose to go public and the press is there and reports on all of it; you can accomplish your goals and still have a job.

I love this idea!!!!! Best IDEA!!! Call the local TV stations and have them there and ready! My other idea...

My honest opinion is kind of in the middle. I home school one child while the other goes to public school. I am constantly hearing from him all the horrible (in my opinion) stupid policies, and even crazier things like watching a movie during PE....

You must think very carefully because if you truly think this will ruin your career, do you have a spouse who could support both your incomes?

On the other hand, we need people like you to stand up and declare the truth. Are you willing to make THE sacrifice for everyones children?? Will you have another opportunity to do this in person if the anonymous route fails which I guess has a high probability...

It all boils down to if you can survive on not having this income? Who knows, this could open a door to something else or it could be a door slammed in your face repeatedly. Please keep us updated!!!! There are a lot of parents here on ATS!

(((hugs)))

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

My teacher's union rep advises me to try the anonymous route first.

says it all really

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Do you have to put names in there? Is it not possible to cite each situation while leaving names out?

Tossing names out there may ensure some retribution at a later date. With each new situation that you reference, the others lose a little personal impact, but the overall point may well be heard. I would try to toss it out there with an urgent air of concern, with emphasis on concern for the children as well as a little anonymity for those who have been lacking in their judgement. Some of the culprits may know that you reference them, but might appreciate the fact that you don't lay blame on them personally and they may in turn hear the point with an open ear.

People tend to take their jobs too seriously. Some may have some of the same feelings and concerns that you have but lack the clarity to see the error in their ways. Expressing yourself in your own words with a strong and urgent stance will give others hope to stand up with you, and with any luck some of the others that are making mistakes will also join in. Your goal is to get these folks to see that they are part of the problem and help them become part of the solution instead. Don't just throw around a bunch of blame, but offer some easy positive solutions as well.

Often the answers to these types of issues can be found with the careful placement of the right words in the proposal that you are putting out there. You don't have to throw anyone under the bus to address some of the issues that you talk about in other threads. These are problems that school boards across the country face. You are an educator, and my guess is that you are a good one considering the angle that you take towards your children and career. Maybe if you employ your skills as an educator towards this goal, you may achieve the goals that you desire.

It will be hard for some to get past the anonymity part if you choose to go that route. People will see it as an underhanded way to take stabs at those who are screwing up. On the other hand, if you progress gently but with a firm approach that is direct as well as understanding, you may be able to get some momentum out of the situation, as well as make a positive impact on those around you.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I've fought the dumber policies quite vocally for some time now. I already feel targeted by the administration, although I'm very careful to stay on this side of insubordination. I do have tenure, for what it's worth.

Even if you went the anonymous route it sounds like they'd know it was you anyway.

My personal thought is this: Your top priority is to support your family. If you lose your job over this you will have to find another job. And, no matter where you go you will always find some flaw or injustice in the system. If such flaws and injustices aren't being addressed by EVERYONE, then why should you be a lone warrior and cause only your family to be deprived of your income.

I say, leave it alone until all of the teachers band together. Just my opinion.
edit on 2/3/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
People get punished for morality whenever it threatens the status quo. If you act you will be saw as a trouble maker, a person who makes the area look bad, un-loyal. They will be seen as the victim, a person lied about. Best do what you wish to do surreptitiously: a campaign of letters sent anonymously to lot of people (not using a printer or you can be traced.) This way it all just happens.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Quauhtli

People tend to take their jobs too seriously. Some may have some of the same feelings and concerns that you have but lack the clarity to see the error in their ways. Expressing yourself in your own words with a strong and urgent stance will give others hope to stand up with you, and with any luck some of the others that are making mistakes will also join in. Your goal is to get these folks to see that they are part of the problem and help them become part of the solution instead. Don't just throw around a bunch of blame, but offer some easy positive solutions as well. Often the answers to these types of issues can be found with the careful placement of the right words in the proposal that you are putting out there. You don't have to throw anyone under the bus to address some of the issues that you talk about in other threads. These are problems that school boards across the country face. You are an educator, and my guess is that you are a good one considering the angle that you take towards your children and career. Maybe if you employ your skills as an educator towards this goal, you may achieve the goals that you desire.

Very well said.

This isn't about revenge, or getting even. I just want the policies that hinder teaching changed. I don't want to attack people, but these people are doing things that are hurting the school. They are also not doing their jobs.

I will think hard about your advice, and how I can change things in the way you stated. Thank you.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

I've fought the dumber policies quite vocally for some time now. I already feel targeted by the administration, although I'm very careful to stay on this side of insubordination. I do have tenure, for what it's worth.

Even if you went the anonymous route it sounds like they'd know it was you anyway.

My personal thought is this: Your top priority is to support your family. If you lose your job over this you will have to find another job. And, no matter where you go you will always find some flaw or injustice in the system. If such flaws and injustices aren't being addressed by EVERYONE, then why should you be a lone warrior and cause only your family to be deprived of your income.

I say, leave it alone until all of the teachers band together. Just my opinion.
edit on 2/3/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

Leave it to you, Jiggerj, to cut to the heart of the matter.

After a good night's sleep and a lot of thought, I've decided not to stick my neck out and get it chopped off unless I can somehow insure it would make a difference. Right now, there's no guarantee my doing so would make any difference whatsoever. Therefore, I'll continue to try to change things from the inside. It hasn't been successful so far, but maybe things will change.

Thanks, my friend.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Good Morning Smylee, I will have to take the Non-anonymous approach. You said your Union Rep said do it anonymous. First off, you guys need a new Union. For a teacher to air her gripes with the school board, the Union should be there to have your back, Shoud'nt they? If there's problems with the school being run down or problems with bad teachers, the Union can and should address these issues. As it directly results in teachers being deficent in their jobs.

Some things need to be done the "anonymous route" as in being a member here. But IMHO, your voice needs to be heard, and heard loud & proud. The parents, your students & your fellow teachers will see you for what you are. A really good teacher, with a desire to teach her kids as best she can. To be the best teacher these kids ever had. The kids will remember you, the parents will back you up. Power in numbers young lady, power in numbers.

Go to your fellow teachers & parents. Get them on board with you, get their signatures on your letter and present it as a group ( a tight group ). They can't fire you all. And they sure as hell can't fire the parents. Smylee, you can't fight a war all by yourself. As much as you want too, you can't. Form a group of teachers and parents acting as one for the benefeit of your students & their children. Most parents want teachers like you, a vocal advocate for their children's education.

I'll ask one question. Do you put any stock in anything that is brought out into the public forum that's anonymous? Example, as in this Anonymous internet group that does all the hacking. Just what have they done the anonymous route that has taken root and became something? Allmost nothing. With that said, put on that Smylee face and be the teacher that takes a stand for her kids. You all are a dying breed, teachers who actually give a shat about their students. Good luck, which ever way you go, I'll be all about some good Karma for you.

I would get the local paper to be there for a nice write up about these problems, the parents may noy go to these school board meetings, but most read that local paper. No administrator wants their name in the news with bad press.

edit on 6-2-2013 by openyourmind1262 because: LAck of spelling ability, I may need a tutor.
edit on 6-2-2013 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Hey Smylee, good luck tomorrow whatever you decide. From an ex teacher to a current one, the profession can't afford to lose teachers like yourself (someone who cares and to whom teaching isn't just "a job").

Therefore, cowardly though it is, my advice is to listen to your rep. Go down the safe, anonymous route but see if you can still include a tiny smattering of corrobation - not enough to compromise yourself but enough to raise suspicions that there may be something on your anonymous claims. I do not know if this route is possible, but if so, i would strongly recommend it.

Whatever you do though, do not compromise yourself. If you do, your teachers will lose a valuable asset (you) and you will make yourself somewhat unemployable in the education sector. Unless you are financially sorted, there is no point committing career suicide - it could even impact any future plans to open your own school (which you have discussed before).

Good luck, whatever you decide.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I have a feeling that either way it is going to be ignored.

You seem like you have come up with some rock solid evidence that will force action...but do you honestly think they don't already know everything you are going to put in that letter?

The simple fact is that if the administration is that bad and you are calling them out, they would have to self-discipline themselves. And if they are as bad and incompetent as you say, there is no way they are going to do that....they will just lash out at you and anyone who backs you. If nothing illegal is going on like you have stated...then you will just be seen as a troublemaker...be made out to look like an obstacle...I'm sure something will be said to the effect of "we try our best, but when we have teachers like you who just want to fight us, it makes it difficult.".

And I'm sure you have other teachers backing you and telling you this is a great idea when you are talking alone or one on one...but those backers will quickly dissapear when you go to this meeting to start a conflict. Unless all of you, every single one of the teachers in that district are commited to this and go to that meeting as one...you are just setting yourself up for trouble and since you will now be the "enemy", no matter what great improvements you suggest, they will never be done out of spite.

I would work on getting all the other teachers on board and the Union on board first, and then go there as a group and not just as one rogue teacher that not even the Union will back up.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
So how did everything turn out?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

I was a coward and said nothing.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Did you at least submit your issues anonymously? Were any of them addressed?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

I submitted them anonymously, they were never brought up.

So I've thought of a new plan. Since my son goes to the school, I'm going to approach it via the "concerned parent" route.

I've rewritten my letter, taking out all "insider teacher knowledge", so to speak, and only put in the policy changes that impact the students. Then I added research on how these policies are not a good idea, and I submitted it to the superintendent. It was done anonymously as well, but with the caveat that if no changes were made that I would take my concerns to the press.

Don't know what will happen, if anything, but thanks for asking. It means a lot to know someone remembered.

Happy Friday!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join