It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

letting of steam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
is it me or is it a new trend on ATS,nearly every thread lately the thread title is longer than the thread
i know i can't say a lot as i have only done 2 or 3 threads myself which was not long but i am quite new and still learning how the site works lol .i'm not asking for people to write a book but a few lines,saying your view maybe and just maybe what your threads are about instead of a youtube link .....................rant over feel better now lol but some threads on this site blow my mind well done to those people

edit on 2-2-2013 by darknewt because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by darknewt

There do seem to be a few minimal posts popping up but as far as I can see they are still outweighed by the quality contributions , I guess some are due to new inexperienced members and some I suspect posted on phones or other limited devices ...technology eh

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

you make a good point
i think out of the last couple iv'e clicked on there have only been one or two worthy

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Well, your post wasn't very long either, so why should your thread become a giant?

Also, you made serious grammatical mistakes in your topic - with only three words, I don't know how it's possible, but it is. You should start topics with a capital letter, that's what the capital letters are for.

Secondly, you probably meant to say "off", and not "of". Do you not know the difference between these two words?

When you are letting off steam, you are letting the steam OFF of your system, it goes off, away, etc.

When you are talking about "Letting of steam", you are talking about 'steam', which is undergoing a process called "letting", whatever that means. So someone is doing some 'letting of steam' (making 'steam' into 'lets'?). That doesn't sound very logical or an usual thing to say.

Thirdly, I would worry more about people not being able to write three words without making at least two grammatical errors or 'american typos'. Those are everywhere, oh boy, could I rant about them! I could probably write 10 long posts about them, and how much it sometimes bothers me to see them instead of english - everywhere, everyday, they are all over the place!

What's wrong with people, especially 'native english speakers', when they can't even construct simple sentences correctly? Sure, I make mistakes, too - and sometimes I have written a word wrong. Sometimes I even have thought a word is something that it actually isn't - or written in a way that is completely wrong. But I have an excuse - I didn't grow up with the english language.

What excuse does someone have who DID grow up with the english language? Oh, maybe that the pronunciation of english is so fúcked up, and because such people usually learn to speak first, their writing becomes messed up, because they are desperately trying to write PHONETICS instead of words - pathetically (and lazily) trying to construct actual, english words out of their animal-sound-utterances. Of course they get it wrong with such a method!

But an enormous mass and wealth of information exists at their fingertips - the internet. They COULD look up words, so they could actually type ENGLISH WORDS instead of ANIMAL SOUNDS THE WAY THEY THINK THEY SHOULD BE WRITTEN, but no. They won't do even that much.

No wonder they are so easily controlled by governments and 'authorities'. No wonder they don't have a clue of what's going on in the world or even in their own neighbourghood - they can't EVEN do this much 'due diligence', enough to be able to write the english language with the easiest method possible - the keyboard!

You have all the information in the world (pretty much literally) at your immediate disposal ('disposal' being the operative word, it seems), you have the easiest and most convenient method of writing lots and lots of text in the recent human history, and how do you utilize all this knowledge and power? By typing 'american typos', because you can't be arsed to look up words.

There's no excuse.

What am I talking about, american typos?

Here..

List of American Typos

If you can read that list from beginning to end, and honestly tell me you have never written a word on the left, meaning to write the word on the right, I congratulate you. But I guarantee you will be among the minority, among the very few, especially if you are a so-called 'native english speaker'.

Honestly, I have made a few of those typos BECAUSE I have seen those words almost exclusively, and concluded that THAT must be the way to write the word. When native english speakers type a word to me, I used to take for granted that that must be how it's supposed to be written. How WRONG I was to trust native english speakers, especially the americans!

They don't know how their own language is supposed to be written! This would never happen, if the pronunciation of english was the same as writing english. I mean, every character would always be pronounced the same, regardless of which word it was used in, or what other characters might be surrounding it. There are languages that operate this way, and they ALWAYS know how to pronounce ANY word, if they see it - even if they haven't heard it before - and they also ALWAYS know how to write a word, if they hear it - because in such languages "people speak as they write".

English speakers think they speak as they write, however, so they have hard time understanding that they actually don't, because they pronounce very differently than they write. I mean, the "a" in "car" is very different than the "a" in "mate". Same character, different pronounciation. You WRITE "a", but you don't PRONOUNCE "a" both times - phonetically speaking. That's how some non-english speakers see it, because their languages are precisely phonetic.

If english pronunciation was fixed, 'american typos' would practically cease to exist. But I don't see that happening..

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Shoujikina

i didn't want it to be a great thread it was just a rant,haven't you got anything better to do than to rant about my spelling it's not a spelling site and thanks for your awesome long post hope it was worth it

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by darknewt

Not to mention, it has nothing to do with the OP's topic.
edit on 11-2-2013 by Marcelli because: (no reason given)

top topics

join