It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tasmanian Tiger Wiped Out by Man

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I know many will think that this is old news, but a recent study confirms it. Here's the link:

Tasmanian Tiger Wiped Out

I found this while looking for something else on Bing.......Tasmanian Tiger was "trending" there.

That man is now placed as the largest contributing factor, and not disease as was claimed by many before, I think that this places the Thylacine as a likely candidate for being an extremely rare, but possible species. Disease will take all indiscriminately, but man will only take what he finds. They were nocturnal and known to avoid humans. Tasmania is a big place, with much territory that is unexplored and undeveloped. Could some have just hidden, going further into the landscape to escape the hunters? Possibly.

Personally, I think and hope, likely.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Maybe, if they have samples of the last one they had, they can use its dna to revive the species

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The Europeans invaders also wiped out most of the Tasmanian natives.

Guess they just couldn't stop killing things.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

Humans... are we a curse or a blessing to earth ?
I say both..

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
The Tasmainia Tiger was also found on the mainland in Victoria and South Australia.
I remember as a kid stopping off at a country town pub on a family holliday and there was a stuffed tiger in a glass display case. In recent years there has been reports of sightings and possible poo found but nothing concrete, I like to think that a small isolated population still exists in the Tasmanian wilderness. The Thylacine was also the only natural predator too the Australian drop bear.

edit on 2-2-2013 by LeLeu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Spacespider

I read somewhere recently that humans are to the earth what the virus is to a human.......
Which is super scary stuff, if you have had the flu!

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, You move to an area and you multiply... and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Nuff said !

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
Maybe, if they have samples of the last one they had, they can use its dna to revive the species

I watched a show on that a while back and they think it could be possible within the next few years

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by stars15k

I read somewhere recently that humans are to the earth what the virus is to a human.......

I hate this type of statement, it reaks of agenda 21

Most people I know do not just kill animals for fun, they do not strip the land for fun.

your average people are not the problem, it is the larger corperations and unscrupulous people who are the problem average people do not ruin the world enviroment and its flora and fauna
edit on 3-2-2013 by munkey66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Nah. Humans are one of the best species in the planet. There are way worst species. They introduced bunnies in Australia and the species almost destroyed all the ecosystem within 5 years and their population jumped of 500 to 300 millions. If wasn't for the humans, Australia was doomed. Cats are also know to torture smaller animals for fun.
edit on 3-2-2013 by Frocharocha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
It was great to hear, was always my philosophy before I heard it here. We would have to also accept that the Earth is a living creature and it will use its natural defense mechanisms against any whom try to hurt, damage destroy it.

Back to the article maybe that is why we were given the gift of cloning maybe it is as natural as procreation. It exists so lets bring those buggers back and be nicer to them this time around

[/quote

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

[/quote
edit on 2/5/2013 by 8infinity8 because: Duplicated again, maybe I need a new mouse I have no idea....

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

G,day mate. the town with the animal on display in a glass box is Keith, in the pub, where else. hay its aussie. the locals have been reporting sightings since the early sixties when the area really started to open up, due to vast scrub clearing and the introduction of sheep and cattle. a team of new south wales boffins exploring parts of the blue mountains in the 1960,s stated that they had found the remains of a tiger estimated to have died in or around 1949. think i read that in a copy of the australasian post in about 1967. but, its the sightings of panther and puma like animals all along the eastern seaboard and around up into the south aussie river land that has got a lot of country people on edge. really on edge.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
If an animal hunts another animal to extinction, it's nature. If humans do it, we are a curse on the earth. Either way it's the same result.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I just got Mammals of the World Volume 1. It says that ''In October of 1961 a thylacine was found in extreme western Tasmania where neither roads nor settlement had touched the habitat of this elusive marsupial". It states that scat and prints have been found. It also says "It is now confined to the forested areas of Tasmania". The book was written in 64' and obviously supports a possible existence of the thylacine at that time.
I also searched youtube and found an OK video on the topic. In it, there is a picture of a supposed thylacine in some brush. Here are both links:
www.youtube.com...
www.wherelightmeetsdark.com...
Supposedly the photo was taken of a pup by someone on vacation in Australia. Any thoughts?

-Russ

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Batan

G,day mate. good find . really looks interesting. if we could see its higher hind quarters or the snout we could say for certain. GOTCHER. a mate from tassie swears he has heard the sharp coughing bark of one out in one of his back paddocks. i like to think yep, they are out there somewhere.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

I have no idea what "agenda 21" is, and would probably not believe it when I find out.
What the statement means is that a human will insert themselves into an ecosystem and change it to support more humans. Like a virus inserts itself into a cell solely to replicate.
The big difference is that humans should be able to understand what they are doing, while a virus cannot.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Batan

I looked at the picture at the second link provided. My first impression was that the stripes are wrong. A thylacine had many narrow stripes, the animal pictured has only a few. Since coloration of hair and skin is set at birth, even a pup should have many narrow stripes.
Just to check, I pulled up images on Bing. Most specimens have twice as many stripes.
The hair itself also doesn't seem quite right, although I do admit that I don't have any firsthand knowledge. In the picture, the coat is smooth, fine, and almost shiny. The pictures and videos have always impressed me as being a rough, coarse coat.
A tiger can't change it's stripes, nor it's coat. It's not a thylacine.
And then I went to the source of the picture....Where Light Meets Dark and read their analysis. I amazed even myself.....they reached the same conclusion, for some of the same reasoning.
And I'm taking codeine for a cough. Must be more awake than I thought.
And from a Photoshop standpoint......some of the grass in the presumed to be in the foreground is transparent. That should have been enough to dismiss it without further question.....it's a really amateur job.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

I got to agree with you about the number of stripes and coat color. Both of those things immediately stood out to me as odd. However the rear quarters seem to be characteristic to that of a Tasmanian tiger (the rear gradually meets with the tail- -forming a thick tail base). I think it is photoshoped, but it is good and it could be the real thing.

As for the grass, I think it is only transparent because it is out of focus.

BWT has anyone seen the Monsterquest episode about Tasmanian tigers? It's pretty good. They find two tracks that match with known Tiger tracks.

top topics

join