It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hacker Help...How do I trap one?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
The Laptop and an old desktop both pose no risk of loss to anything of relevance so when I head to bed in a short time I'm leaving them both up with the Wireless and Router passwords restored to what they've been when compromised recently.

If you set that access point up with a different pass code and his system got rejected, his system would of cleared your entry, and password from the system. So, setting it back to the old password, won’t allow him back in.

I would say that if you want activity, you are either going to have to use the access point as normal, and wait for his attack script to spoof your equipment into giving him the password again, or set it up as open access.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Well... so far, nothing. I should be happy but I'm not. This went on for a period of time which means it wasn't some war scanner parking around the corner to play. Aside from that, I've driven around this city with my laptop just scanning networks while out on other things to see and I'd figure 30-40% of nets found are WEP or with no security at all. Why pick mine and then just stop?

I hate problems that solve themselves if this doesn't return while I'm watching. It makes me feel stupid for coming here with it but also, leaves me wondering What? Who? Why?? and of course...Why not again later? No good reason on that last one for why it can't.

By the way, you mention VOIP. I have the VOIP running out from the router and never between the Cable modem and Router...as it's designed to be possible to do. That being said...is there any way that can be used as a weak point against the network? I can't see how, personally, but then I freely admit that net security is little more than a side interest and a weak one at that. I'm nowhere near the knowledge level to say what can and can't be.....though at times like this, I sure wish I were.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Well... so far, nothing. I should be happy but I'm not. This went on for a period of time which means it wasn't some war scanner parking around the corner to play. Aside from that, I've driven around this city with my laptop just scanning networks while out on other things to see and I'd figure 30-40% of nets found are WEP or with no security at all. Why pick mine and then just stop?

I hate problems that solve themselves if this doesn't return while I'm watching. It makes me feel stupid for coming here with it but also, leaves me wondering What? Who? Why?? and of course...Why not again later? No good reason on that last one for why it can't.

By the way, you mention VOIP. I have the VOIP running out from the router and never between the Cable modem and Router...as it's designed to be possible to do. That being said...is there any way that can be used as a weak point against the network? I can't see how, personally, but then I freely admit that net security is little more than a side interest and a weak one at that. I'm nowhere near the knowledge level to say what can and can't be.....though at times like this, I sure wish I were.

Don't hate anything about posting for help on forums. For as much as Mr. Tranny and I think we know about networks\security\SIP\whatever their are people that know much more. No one knows everything so the best you can do is post and chances are someone knows more about you in whatever you are asking. For example I think from some of your other posts I am pretty sure you are a graphic artist and I would have no issue asking for help with something related to that.

The easiest way to look at a network in my opinion is you are only as secure as your edge devices. In this case your edge device will be your router that connects to your internet pipe-modem. You could unblock every port\computer\whatever and if your edge devices are 100% secured no one is getting to them. Im not saying you should do that just trying to make a point. Start with your edge as being the most likely point someone got in , if that's what happened. Without metrics , debugs or logs proving other wise it could still be a normal problem.

Your VOIP modem is just another IP based endpoint. You can run it behind your router , open up any required ports and everything will work just fine. If you ever want to learn more about VOIP\SIP then grab Asterisk and play around with it. Since I know you run Linux its an easy enough install. Once you have that on there its very easy to trace a SIP call through your network with Wireshark.

<< 1   >>

join