It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing "like living crature" anomaly on martian surface in Curiosity sol 173?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by MysterX
When asked about this, NASA's official response was to claim that the much lower pixel array was used for Curiosity, 'Because the engineers working with the arrays, were familiar with them...'.

It's the second time you post that (although this time you said more than in the first), could you please provide a link to where I can read that?

I ask because, as I have said before, it's not a question of familiarity with the equipment, it's a question of reliability and of that equipment being good enough for the mission, as a consumer grade CCD is not good enough to use in a harsh environment, they have to use equipment hardened against extreme temperatures and higher radiation levels.

Thanks in advance.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I gave up on Skipper's site (marsanomalyresearch.com) a long time ago, after the multiple times he misrepresents images and tries to pass them off as amonalies -- such as calling the round abrasion tool marks on rocks left by Spirit and Opportunity as "mysterious marks", calling the mosaic stitching on moon images roads and structures, and that "city" you pointed out, ArMap, that is simply compression artifacts.

It always amazes me that skipper rarely presents the raw images, but rather images that have been re-sampled to a lower resolution, or whose contrast has been tampered with. Why are most of his images that sepia color?

No..."marsanomalyresearch is not looking to do research -- I think they are looking to accumulate a higher hit-count on their site, so they can charge more for advertising.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

RESPECT for Joseph Skipper. A Good researcher more skilled than you, me, and many other here...

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Hey just want to say thanks for creating these anomoly threads on ats.
I don't have the time nor patience to sift through Mars photos,so I for one do appreciate the dedication and time you put forth to get our imaginations working again.Hopefully you will be the one that finds the one anomoly that can't be in any way called a rock,or my most hated word parodelia.

As to what this is?not sure but keep the pictures coming!!
could it be a small carved statue?

edit on 10-2-2013 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

Thanks TWILITE22.

I really don't know what is this anomaly. For sure, there are thousands of anomalies on mars that deserve a more deep analisys.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Hi Arken, cool thread enjoying it immensley. No matter what anyone says, keep on looking and questioning, deny ignorance and keep the 'fire in the belly' that epitomised Ats burning.

As for Hugo?
I personally go with MysterX on this one , a fulgurite or weather exposed metallic nugget whether naturally occurring or the core of a meteorite would be my guess.
This does not make it less interesting than a life-form or fossil (ok maybe not ) but thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Call me old fashioned but the fact that I can lie in bed on a tablet computer and exchange thoughts with people all over the globe on spectacular photos of weird stuff on another planet is awesomness itself. I think people take for granted how far we have come in such a short time. I am reminded of being a little boy reading under the covers about the mysterious 'red planet'.
What advances the next decade will bring, and what discoveries await us, I feel that we haven't scratched the surface yet and despite our technology, we are still little boys with our flashlights.

And pot8er's mars.jpl.nasa.gov..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">photo
Reminded me of the old Stephen King novel 'The Tommyknockers'

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Congratulations!
'Hugo' made it to GIZMODO!

What the Hell Is This Weird Shiny Object on Mars?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by HumansEh

Hi HumansEh, and thanks for your post.

Personally, I think that the MAIN GOAL of the "Curiosity Mission" is to find evidences of past/present LIFE on Mars.
So, any "anomaly" must be investigate to reach the GOAL.

This "Hugo Anomaly" is the last, but not the only anomaly that the Rover Curiosity has detected in Gale Crater till the beginning of its mission on the Red Planet.

NASA already know that most af the superficial encrusted rocks are covered of BORAX en.wikipedia.org...

This mean only one thing: The gale Crater was a huge Lake!
Curiosity find evidence of ancient lake in Gale Crater

Like the Death Valley in Nevada desert en.wikipedia.org...

And this mean that Curiosity CAN find FOSSILS on the bed of this ancient martian LAKE.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Lake means liquid, liquid means life, finding a fossil would be the most wonderful discovery in mankind's history.
It would be (as Darth Vader said)
"A day long remembered"

If curiosity finds something that once moved, swam and pooped on Mars, I look forward to your thread on that day!
Keep searching man.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
...And this mean that Curiosity CAN find FOSSILS on the bed of this ancient martian LAKE.

Sure, if Mars ever had life, signs of that life could be found in Gale Crater. That's one reason why NASA chose Gale Crater.

However, fossils are usually as hard as the surrounding rock matrix (considering the minerals in the surrounding rock is what petrified the fossil in the first place), and I don't know if a fossil would remain poking out of the rock like that, rather than being worn away in a similar fashion as the surrounding rock matrix.

This could be a piece of metal ore, or maybe an ancient metallic meteor that fell long ago and became part of the sedimentary rock.

Personally, I think if visible signs of ancient life are to be found in Gale Crater, I think Aeolis Mons (formerly known as Mt Sharp) may be the place Curiosity finds it. Aeolis Mons/Mt. Sharp is the primary target for this mission, mainly because NASA feels that they will be able to see millions or billions of years worth of exposed sedimentary strata in the canyons of the slopes of Aeolis Mons.

I don't think they are "expecting" to find a fossil, but at least one NASA geologist (Matthew Golombek) stated that "in his wildest dreams" Curiosity would find a visible fossil in the strata of Aeolis Mons -- but he did stress "in his wildest dreams". There is nothing wrong with dreaming big.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
However, fossils are usually as hard as the surrounding rock matrix (considering the minerals in the surrounding rock is what petrified the fossil in the first place), and I don't know if a fossil would remain poking out of the rock like that, rather than being worn away in a similar fashion as the surrounding rock matrix.

Of all of the dozens of fossils me, my brother, my sisters and a neighbour found, only one was clearly our of place, a carcharodon megalodon tooth.

(click for full size)

(the above is NOT from Mars, it's from Almada
)

All the other fossils were either part of the rock or they looked like the other rocks, so we had to look carefully to see if they had an unusual shape (seeing rocks and looking for fossils is nothing new to me
).

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Rock, eroded portion of an embedded iron meteorite or whatever it is, it's out of place. It stands out amongst the indigenous rocks surrounding it. Interesting to say the least, and a future situation like this may be the way citizen analysts make a groundbreaking discovery.

Imo NASA already knows the status of life on Mars, be it past, present, simple, complex or intelligent. Just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

NASA/JPL for this exploration in Gale Crater need some PALEONTOLOGISTS, not only Geologists....
edit on 12-2-2013 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Here's the official release about this by JPL:
www.nasa.gov...
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

Basically, they say it's a hard and fine-grained rock that got exposed by wind erosion. Also note that only the top part of it is shiny, the lower part is similar to the base rock.
edit on 12-2-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
Here's the official release about this by JPL:
www.nasa.gov...
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

Basically, they say it's a hard and fine-grained rock that got exposed by wind erosion. Also note that only the top part of it is shiny, the lower part is similar to the base rock.
edit on 12-2-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

Thanks for this, wildespace

But their explanation is weak...

So, NASA/JPL officially explain what this anomaly is.....
Weak explanation, really weak and misleading. The example with the Antarctic rocks is absolutely untrue, absolutely different and with none correlation at all

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
And what make me sick is that 8/10 of the entire Curiosity images are OUT of FOCUS and the other part are with a very LOW resolution.

What a WASTE of money. Billions of Dollars for sand images......
Another huge fail!

Stay at home Nasa.

Our last Hope is CHINA!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   

And what make me sick is that 8/10 of the entire Curiosity images are OUT of FOCUS and the other part are with a very LOW resolution.

Where did you get that number?

I suppose you can show us all of those thousands of out of focus photos.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

ArMaP... ArMaP... ArMaP...

Sometime I wander if you are the same "Old" ArMaP, or if someone has stolen your accont....

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   

For sure, there are thousands of anomalies on mars that deserve a more deep analisys.

Well, as there are billions of rocks on mars there are billions of "anomalies" on Mars as well....

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

reply to post by ArMaP

ArMaP... ArMaP... ArMaP...

Sometime I wander if you are the same "Old" ArMaP, or if someone has stolen your accont....

I am the same, only older.

I still ask for evidence when people say things for which I cannot find any confirmation, like I always did.

I see that you didn't answer my question, so I guess you are also the same Arken.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join