It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing "like living crature" anomaly on martian surface in Curiosity sol 173?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Huh! The rock looks like a sqished bug as much as I look like Elvis!

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Looks like a baby T-Rex that ate a squirrel.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I think it is debris from one of the many mars probes/explorers that crashed or just disappeared.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher26

Good to meet you Elvis. Liked some of the music, disliked the movies (stupid career move). I called it a bug because the guy posting did, I don't know what it looks like. The point of the post was to direct him to start his own thread, and how to go about doing so.

ADDED: Oh, you are the guy posting. You called it a bug, and I played on that and said "squished bug". Now you say its a rock and looks like a bug as much as you look like Elvis. Are you one of those Siamese twins who can't see the other one typing?
edit on 6-2-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by 0bserver1
Do you think that we "By the real uhum scientists" would allow us "hobbyists" to give our opinion on that board/forum?

As long as you don't talk about things not directly related to their topics (unmanned space flight and robotic missions in general) there is no problem, but they add:

Astrobiology may not be discussed here, even in the context of a mission with those stated goals. This includes other banned topics such as SETI, "Red Rain," alien visitors, exobiology, biosignatures, microorganisms, fossils et cetera.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
We've found "Hugo" 3 times - and he's all snapshotted in this super GigaPan consisting of MANY sols.

gigapan.com...

Behold your Hugo! First 3 snapshots.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Hmm , so it has to be a very proper conversation and to the point technical language. But like pointing out artifacts
with no assumption whatsoever is allowed?
I'm bored already , you will not see me there in respect of the science ofcourse .
I like threads like these and others that put in some excitement ,that maybe the possibility exists Mars has life or past life. It keeps one dreaming the answer lies within our grasp.

thanx armap your an educated person, and we need that around here to keep the balance!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
What was that metal thing on page 7img.abovetopsecret.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">img.abovetopsecret.com...
img.abovetopsecret.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>?file=px5113a989.jpg
edit on 7-2-2013 by symptomoftheuniverse because: cant get picture to show

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
If you can see my images above then i think that the picture alone changes everything. Why isnt this all over the news?
Let the race for mars begin! I always wanted to be an astro archeologists.

Click on my profile to see pic.,
edit on 7-2-2013 by symptomoftheuniverse because: extra info

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by symptomoftheuniverse
What was that metal thing on page 7:

edit on 7-2-2013 by symptomoftheuniverse because: cant get picture to show

(I fixed your post so your picture showed.)

That is the hole left by Curiosity's drill bit. It's a percussion drill and a rotary drill, and what you are seeing here is a test of the percussive ability of the drill.

By the way, that is a hole, and not an object "sticking out". You can tell by comparing the drill hole shadow with other shadows on this other picture taken of the same drill mark. The Sunlight is shining up from the bottom of the image:

Here is the story about the drilling:
marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov...

The images in this story doesn't exactly match your image, because your image was taken earlier in the drill testing process. Here is a succession of images taken by the MAHLI camera on sol 176 during that process (including yours):

Curiostity MAHLI Camera, Sol 176

edit on 2/7/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Thankyou very much
It sure looks like its protruding to me. Is the rock metal underneath or has the drillbit shed some material?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
And those pictures you linked to dont seem to match. The vein material does not seem to be there. Also if it is a dent how come no material has fallen to the bottom of the dent? It seems to me that they are lazering around it.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired

At the risk of exposing my total ignorance, can someone tell me how this picture was taken. I thought all the cameras were on vehicle in the picture, but this is clearly taken from above it.

What is the "Hand Lens Imager"?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Also... if the suns coming from the bottom then the shadows on the surrounding tiny mounds would be to the top?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Thankyou very much
It sure looks like its protruding to me. Is the rock metal underneath or has the drillbit shed some material?

That gray color is the interior of the rock being drilled. I think it looks a bit shiny due to it being made smooth by the percussion action of the drill.

Some of the rocks on mars may look red, but they are actually gray rock covered with reddish dust, as in this image showing a part of the dust layer cleaned away by a brush on Curiosity:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Thankyou very much

That gray color is the interior of the rock being drilled. I think it looks a bit shiny due to it being made smooth by the percussion action of the drill.

Some of the rocks on mars may look red, but they are actually gray rock covered with reddish dust, as in this image showing a part of the dust layer cleaned away by a brush on Curiosity:

The shiny bit should be at the bottom of the dent,i.e in shadow.
Im having problems disbelieving my eyes.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

It's actually not a stupid question at all.
When I saw the video, it wasn't what I thought and I was blown away by it.

The rover arm moves in all of these crazy positions so the arm itself is not imaged (the arm has the MAHLI camera on it which took the self portrait).

Cool stuff!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

Good to meet you Elvis. Liked some of the music, disliked the movies (stupid career move). I called it a bug because the guy posting did, I don't know what it looks like. The point of the post was to direct him to start his own thread, and how to go about doing so.

ADDED: Oh, you are the guy posting. You called it a bug, and I played on that and said "squished bug". Now you say its a rock and looks like a bug as much as you look like Elvis. Are you one of those Siamese twins who can't see the other one typing?

Have you looked closely? There is another, with a broken leg, which is bleeding, not far above it to the right. Unhighlighted. Exactly the same type of creature. They appear to have three legs, and from the long extension of the legs, I'd say they were jumping creatures. They may just have one eye.

Incidentally, they have had a long time to evolve in the 1% oxygen atmosphere on Mars, but the red blood indicated that they do utilise oxygen. I'm calling them trisects...

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

...They appear to have three legs, and from the long extension of the legs, I'd say they were jumping creatures. They may just have one eye...

If the object in the OP's image is a jumping creature, then he doesn't do much jumping. The object in the OP appeared in images over at least a 9-day span, and always appearing in the same spot in all of the images.

I think it is some sort of metallic rock that has eroded away at a different rate than the softer rock around it.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

How does it look like a rock to you? Do you see a lot of rocks with legs and a head?

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join