Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Amazing "like living crature" anomaly on martian surface in Curiosity sol 173?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by doorhandle

Hi doorhandle

Its one of man's greatest technological achievements (so far) and your complaining about the image resolution?

"Achievemets" you say?

In forty years of exploration of Mars and hundreds of billions of dollars, most of the questions about Mars are without answers. We still have no solid proof of nothing on Mars, its environments, its weather, its past, its present, and its real colours....

By now, it is one of man's greatest technological TOY. Very expensive and officially only for the public entertainment.

Of course, I want to be refuted on this...
edit on 5-2-2013 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by 0bserver1
Do you think we ever know Armap ,if mars had life or artifacts from distant civilizations?

Seeing that we aren't even sure about Earth's past I doubt we will ever know about Mars, but it takes only one real evidence of ancient life to show us that Earth is not an unique case. As for civilizations, I don't think it's likely that we will find any traces, unless it was a civilization that was never technologically advanced, as one of those (judging from what we can see on Earth) leave visible marks in relatively large areas.

And what is your personal view of what you've seen in the couple of years?

From Mars? I must say this new mission (Curiosity) has been the most interesting so far, as it looks like they chose the right spot for dropping it, but that choice was a result of previous missions, from which I have been accumulating information about Mars' geology, and geology is almost the only thing I have seen so far, no signs of life or ancient civilizations.

I've got the feeling That there's so much tax money spend for the search of life in the solar system,and beyond! But we never seen to gain progress. If you look back 60 years ago nothings changed ...only technology changed.

Many things changed since I was a child, 40 years ago, watching a man jumping down from his space ship to the Moon's surface, some things that were only conjectures are now certainties, and I'm sure some others were forgotten when they were seen as wrong.

I don't mind having my taxes paying for any kind of knowledge (although Portugal doesn't have a space program we are part of ESA and contribute with 16.1 M€ this year), that's much better than paying for useless wars.

And yes I know like Kepler and all the other great telescopes that'd been build, are telling us amazing discoveries about possible earth-like planets . but did we not knew this 30 years ago..

I think we weren't sure about many of them, most were not even discovered by then.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
And about the Cover-up on the True Colors of Mars, Take a look at this: True colors of mars

No cover-up needed, you just need to understand what you are looking at.

Look at these two photos of the same place.

A camera that does not make automatic adjustments to take into consideration the colour of the ambient light will show things as they looked when the photo was taken. A camera that makes those adjustments will show how things look like under a white light.

Edit: as for the "strange colours" of some photos, that's what happens when you use the wrong data for one or more of the colour channels used to make an RGB image.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.
edit on 5/2/2013 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Interesting pic, am I the only one who thinks it looks like Dino from The Flintstones?... God I loved that show.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Interesting pic, am I the only one who thinks it looks like Dino from The Flintstones?... God I loved that show.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Pretty sure that's my Mother In Law.
Not kidding.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Well, since I'm the one who's putting on a show, here you go. If it's a lizard, it's been there for 4 days according to these two color images (excluding the NavCam shot):

Left image is from your Sol 173 MR, and the image on the right is from the new MAHLI self portrait (Sol 177):

Here is where I got the image on the right from: My Gigapan of the self portrait from Sol 177 (since it's my show, I'll use possessive words more
):

gigapan.com...

And my GigaPan from Sols 172 and 173 - complete:

gigapan.com...

So, with all of that rigamarole aside (that I posted in this post), it's just a rock. A VERY INTERESTING ROCK, but just a rock.

Thanks for letting me have my "show".

Love ya, Arken!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Still about the "colour cover-up", and about this statement I made on my previous post:

A camera that does not make automatic adjustments to take into consideration the colour of the ambient light will show things as they looked when the photo was taken. A camera that makes those adjustments will show how things look like under a white light.

The following two photos show what happens when a photo is taken with a "daylight" setting or a "measure: shutter" setting (the camera is a Samsung WB5000).

Daylight

Measure: shutter

In the first photo the camera adjusted itself as if the light illuminating the scene was the light of day (white light) instead of the light given by the compact fluorescent light-bulb I have on my room. As things were not as the camera "thought" they were, the image came up with the colours all messed up, as if behind an orange filter.

On the second photo I used the back of that calibration card as a reference for the white point (what the camera should see as white), so the camera adjusted itself for that colour and the photo came up with a fairly good colour reproduction of the original.

When we know how things work we can see that there's no need for any "colour cover-up", things just work this way.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Thanks again impaired, you have lifted the veil and shown us the truth. The truth?: Hugo sure has a slow metabolism. Better light a fire under that lizard.

Could you, or have you already, put up the new gigapans on your gigapan thread (and if someone hasn't yet seen it, it has gigapans on every page. A must see if you are a Mars-tian, imnho). The thread still only has 15 flags after all this time, and is one of the most "valuable" 15 flagged threads on the site - again, imnho. The thread sits as motionless as Hugo at:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 5-2-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Maybe a fossil?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
reply to post by impaired

Thanks again impaired, you have lifted the veil and shown us the truth. The truth?: Hugo sure has a slow metabolism. Better light a fire under that lizard.

Could you, or have you already, put up the new gigapans on your gigapan thread (and if someone hasn't yet seen it, it has gigapans on every page. A must see if you are a Mars-tian, imnho). The thread still only has 15 flags after all this time, and is one of the most "valuable" 15 flagged threads on the site - again, imnho. The thread sits as motionless as Hugo at:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

My stuff is updated more on the FB page. In my signature.
It's all there, and you don't have to have a FB account to see it all.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8infinity8
Maybe a fossil?

Not very likely, a fossil is usually made from the same material that surrounds it, in this case "Hugo" looks made from a different material, whatever it may be.

edit on 6/2/2013 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   

In forty years of exploration of Mars and hundreds of billions of dollars, most of the questions about Mars are without answers. We still have no solid proof of nothing on Mars, its environments, its weather, its past, its present, and its real colours....

So the data that is coming from Curiosity is not solid proof? Some of its cameras take raw (unbalanced) colour images, and it has instruments that measure atmospheric conditions: marsweather.com... If you notice on that website it says "Data courtesy Centro de Astrobiología" so it's not NASA that is telling us of those conditions.

A lot can be learned also from the orbiters like MRO, which see signs of past and present activity, winds, erosion, geology, etc.

The real colour of Mars, as evident from Curiosity's images, is light brown. Raw images have a predominant orange cast due to sunlight scattered in the dusty atmosphere, but images from the MAHLI camera seem to suffer less from this, offering the closest view to what you would see with your own eyes:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Maybe a fossil?

Maybe...
But, whatever this is, this anomaly stands out from the surrounding scenery, could be a weird rock formation, but it does look very like a creature of some kind. If you look closely at the legs or paws you can quite clearly see shadows beneath them, this indicates the appendages are protruding out from the main "body", and I really never seen a rock like that before! In my humble opinion, this anomaly need a deeper analisys by NASA/JPL.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Wildespace - I now know what you mean and I agree with you. At least, I can see the difference now between the MastCams and MAHLI. I noticed it big time when I was putting together the 177 self portrait.

Now I see why you ask Mcaplinger that question the way you did.

I'm slow sometimes.
But VERY good eye, my friend. You never cease to impress me.
I don't mean that in a condescending way.

So you think MAHLI is closer to true-color than the MastCams?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Maybe a fossil?

Maybe...
But, whatever this is, this anomaly stands out from the surrounding scenery, could be a weird rock formation, but it does look very like a creature of some kind. If you look closely at the legs or paws you can quite clearly see shadows beneath them, this indicates the appendages are protruding out from the main "body", and I really never seen a rock like that before! In my humble opinion, this anomaly need a deeper analisys by NASA/JPL.

Well, we basically proved it's not a living organism thanks to 3 different shots about 7 days apart.

But it is indeed interesting and I agree that they should go and check it out.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
The object would appear to be artificial as it does not look like the surrounding geology in any shape or form.

I have produced the following image which shows other objects in the area that can only be tiny built structures. I know many members will disagree with me but in view of what is showing up in some of the images the possibility of there being a tiny-sized life existence on the planet cannot be discounted. Of course, we will here nothing from NASA relating to tiny-sized intelligent life but you never know what may be forthcoming in the future.

A larger version of the view is available at the direct view below.

Direct view:

i985.photobucket.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Hey,

Is nobody interested in my bug?

Originally posted by Watcher26
Ok, what about this one: Bug-1 You can see I've highlighted one bug, but there's another slightly above it to the right. This is from Opportunity Rover's tracks, on the Rub al Kali Panorama Left hand track, what looks like about 8 inches before the end of the broken rubble turns to dirt, so about maybe 25 inches from the rover...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by arianna
I have produced the following image which shows other objects in the area that can only be tiny built structures.

They can also be minerals exposed by erosion. I think the "creature" is a mineral, perhaps even a nugget of some metal, exposed through erosion by wind and dust. I wouldn't go out of my way to call it an anomaly or something that is "definitely artificial. There are professional and amateur geologists looking at these pictures, I don't think it's up to us to declare what's what and what should NASA do about it.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Hey,

Is nobody interested in my bug?

Ok, what about this one: Bug-1 You can see I've highlighted one bug, but there's another slightly above it to the right. This is from Opportunity Rover's tracks, on the Rub al Kali Panorama Left hand track, what looks like about 8 inches before the end of the broken rubble turns to dirt, so about maybe 25 inches from the rover...

Good one, the rock looks like a squished bug. What you could do is either post it here again, or get your 20 posts in so you can put up a thread on this yourself. But don't just post to post, go to topics you have something to add to and then when you reach 20 posts you can start your thread. Lots of the same people posting here will probably comment on that as well. Good luck!

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join