It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inmates Swam To Save Boys...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Prison inmates dove into frigid water to save three boys after their canoe capsized on Salmon Creek Wednesday afternoon.

Firefighters said the three boys, who are brothers, were onboard the boat when they lost control in the extremely cold and fast-moving water.

It happened at 12:30 p.m. where the Klineline Bridge crosses Highway 99 in Hazel Dell, as the inmate crew from Larch Corrections Center was finishing their work for the day.

"We just thought it was some kids screaming until we seen their two heads bobbing in the water with the canoe upside down," said Nelson Pettis, a member of the crew. "They were coming down over flooded Salmon Creek. It was raging pretty fast."

Pettis said he took off his jacket and dove into the creek. He said the cold water made it difficult to breath and the current was too strong for him, let alone the children, to swim.

"I just let the current take me down until I could get to a spot where my feet hit ground and I tried to stay put. They actually came to me right there," said Pettis. "Right then, the current swept me from underneath my feet and I grabbed onto the kids and got them to a little island in the middle of the river."

They were able to get to a pile of wood debris in the creek, where they waited for rescue crews to arrive.

Larry Bohn, another member of the inmate crew, also jumped into the water. He helped the 16-year-old get to shore, then made his way down the creek to help Pettis with the younger children.

and...

The three inmates are humble about their heroics.

"I think we did something that any good person would do. You see three helpless kids in a river, you help. That's what you do," said Fowler.

He later added, "Just cause we're incarcerated, doesn't mean we're bad people. We made some bad choices in our lives, but we're still, we're just like everybody else. We're just paying our debt for what we did wrong."

The members of the work crew are serving prison sentences for non-violent crimes, according to LCC staff.

Source

Really a heartwarming story.

Now for the twist.... I know we don't know exactly what crimes these guys committed, but what would you say if they were to be released for these heroic acts? Or possibly time taken off and they can get out early?

+14 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

Now for the twist.... I know we don't know exactly what crimes these guys committed, but what would you say if they were to be released for these heroic acts? Or possibly time taken off and they can get out early?

They saved lives; they are serving their time (for non-violent) crimes; I say let them out early; and let's see what more good they will do.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Thanks joe cool

+31 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Just because someone is in jail or prison doesn't necessarily mean that they are a bad person. There are many "good" people incarcerated everyday for plain silly things that have absolutely no affect on another. This story does not surprise me at all. As a matter of fact, I would be truly much more surprised if the headline read "Executive saves lives!"

edit on 2-2-2013 by Anundeniabletruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Just when you are about to lose faith in humanity, a story like this comes along.

Refreshing.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

If they are in there for non violent crimes it's already likely they are serving too harsh a sentence. I would be all for them being let out. I mean, they risked their lives.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Will they get out early because of this? Maybe. It will probably be considered by their respective parole boards. This comes as no surprise to me. Most know I work in Corrections. There's an inmate code. I'd be surprised if they had done nothing.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I would make sure they get some time subtracted from there sentence and noted on the parole board. And a very nice steak dinner with all the fixing they chose served by the Hooter gurls...

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Apparently these inmates are not considered a danger to society or they would not be allowed to participate in an outside of the prison work detail much less even be allowed to dive into the water after those kids without being shot by guards! They risked their own lives to save these boys, so I say they have paid their debts to society and should be released as soon as possible!

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Why?
Do people who are not inmates get a get out of jail free card if they save a drowning kid?

Good people have to pay their dues just like bad people do.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Why?
Do people who are not inmates get a get out of jail free card if they save a drowning kid?

Why not? They put their lives in jeopardy to save others. If they are being punished for a bad act, negative reinforcement, why not reward them for a good act? Positive reinforcement. Not saying it's going to happen but I wouldn't be averse to it.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Nah, I don't think any special treatment is needed.They even said they did what they think any person should do.

From the artical it seem's to me.That they would like people to realize that even though they did something wrong they aren't all bad. Reminds me of the story of Achmed

Achmed is walking his grandson through their village.Achmed points to a barn,look grandson.See that barn I built that barn.I chopped down the logs,hand sawed the wood.Designed and built that barn.Do they call me Achmed the barn builder?No

They walked a little more.Achmed point's to a long wall.Look grandson see that wall?I built that wall,I dug the stone,carried thousands of them stacked them end on end.It took me 5 years.Do they call me Achmed the wall builder? No

Achmed mutters to himself.I swear have sex with one sheep!

Ok I guess the point I was trying to make was.As long as a pattern isn't shown,one mistake is not a reason for someone,to carry the stigma of one action through life.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

They saved lives; they are serving their time (for non-violent) crimes; I say let them out early; and let's see what more good they will do.

I guess each case is different. I had a work crew outside our fence clearing brush, one of the guys crawled away from the crew and was down on his knees fingers locked in the chain link trying to look through my french doors.

I was scared by the look on his face and home alone I had been making coffee in my robe and didn't know they were out there, he certainly looked violent. I ran around and locked all the doors and windows.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Beautiful story. Thanks for posting OP. like others said above, just because they are incarcerated for minor offences, doesn't mean they are mean & heartless.....

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Yea, I guess it is,read the link.Inmate help's save women from abduction.

www.msnewsnow.com... m-possible-abduction

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anundeniabletruth
Just because someone is in jail or prison doesn't necessarily mean that they are a bad person. There are many "good" people incarcerated everyday for plain silly things that have absolutely no affect on another. This story does not surprise me at all. As a matter of fact, I would be truly much more surprised if the headline read "Executive saves lives!"

edit on 2-2-2013 by Anundeniabletruth because: (no reason given)

Wow! Are you thinking Ted Kennedy? I'm thinking Ted Kennedy.

The Chappaquiddick incident took place on July 18, 1969 and refers to the death of Mary Jo Kopechne, a female passenger of U.S. Senator Edward M. "Ted" Kennedy when he accidentally drove his car off a bridge and into a tidal channel on Chappaquiddick Island, Massachusetts. Kennedy swam free and left the scene, not reporting within nine hours, but Kopechne died in the vehicle. In the early hours of July 19, Kopechne's body and the car were recovered. Kennedy pleaded guilty to a charge of leaving the scene of an accident after causing injury and received a two-month suspended jail sentence.
Chappaquiddick incident

So yeah, let these guys out.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Why?

Good people have to pay their dues just like bad people do.

These inmates' motivation for this heroic deed wasn't to help them get out of jail early, there was no reward on offer to 'encourage' or sway them to do this, and they probably don't expect to get out of jail early either. The only reason they did this is that they are human beings and acted as such.

Just because they are guilty of making a few mistakes in life doesn't make them less than human.

I think what they did should in some way cancel part of their sentence, they acted with exceptional courage and selflessness, in what could have ended in tragedy all round had they been unsuccessful. Thanks to them the kids are going home to their family, instead of a morgue. They've done their time in my eyes.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Provided they aren't in for serious and violent crimes against people, then hell yeh let them out early.

They've had the stick now let them have a little carrot. Not just as a reward to them, but as an example to others that being a positive part of society has its own rewards, and time in prison doesn't have to lead to a lifetime of crime.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
reply to post by Char-Lee

Yea, I guess it is,read the link.Inmate help's save women from abduction.

www.msnewsnow.com... m-possible-abduction

Yes each case is different, to often they let the scary re-offenders out. The child molesters who LOVE children are the worst to me, non violent yes, most of them.

So most of you see it as if someone murdered your child but without thought rescued another child they paid the price due for the loss of yours.

None seem to care to know what they were in for before saying release, that surprises me.
edit on 2-2-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Have non of you ever watched ''CON AIR'?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join