It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attempt to Smuggle Guns, Cellphones and Contraband into a Federal Prison stopped!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
[color= orange]FYI-I am not posting this thread to indicate a need for gun control, this is more about the prisoners smuggling in contraband and their "Need" or "Use" for the guns in prison. I own a gun and would like to keep my opinions on "for" or "against" gun control out of the discussion.

I read this and figured since it happened local to Atlanta it wasn't well know. What worries me is how many times did this happen before they were caught and how often this happens at other Federal Prisons???

ATLANTA -- An apparent plan to smuggle contraband cellphones, alcohol and even handguns into the Atlanta Penitentiary was thwarted early Tuesday when an alert Atlanta police officer spotted four men outside the federal prison who appeared to be "up to no good."

The officer was patrolling the area of New Town Circle in southeast Atlanta around 12:30 a.m. when he noticed a white Oldsmobile Alero parked near the fence surrounding the U.S. Penitentiary, Atlanta police Sgt. Greg Lyon said Tuesday afternoon.

"He shined a spotlight on the vehicle," Lyon said. "When he did so, he saw four individuals --- all dressed in gray sweatpants, black hoodies and black gloves --- that appeared to be up to no good."

Three of the masked men ran out of the car and scaled the fence leading into the prison, Lyon said. But the fourth drove the car a short distance before running into nearby woods, according to police.

That's when officers took inventory of the car's stash, which investigators believe the four planned to smuggle into the prison. The contents included 24 cellphones, four 30-packs of Bud Light beer, three cases of whiskey, multiple bags of protein powder and two loaded handguns, police said.

None of the four suspects was taken into custody Tuesday. Investigators were processing the car for additional information, Lyon said.

The incident is being investigated by the FBI and the U.S. Bureau of Prisons, Atlanta police said.

Source

What shocked me while reading this was that three people jumped the fence back INTO the prison! Meaning these were prisoners, they had the opportunity to escape but are probably making a huge fortune in the prison selling this stuff!

Three of the masked men ran out of the car and scaled the fence leading into the prison

Also, the APD facebooks page indicated that they were hallow point bullets!

Officers recovered the vehicle, along with 24 cell phones, four 30-packs of light beer, three cases of whiskey, multiple bags of protein powder and two handguns loaded with hollow point ammunition. The incident is being investigated by the FBI, working in conjunction with U.S. Bureau of Prisons investigators and officials.

APD Facebook

Why wouldn't the article state anything about the hollow point bullets?

edit on 2/2/2013 by Djayed because: Added FYI

edit on 2/2/2013 by Djayed because: added some color to that FYI

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djayed

Also, the APD facebooks page indicated that they were hallow point bullets!

Officers recovered the vehicle, along with 24 cell phones, four 30-packs of light beer, three cases of whiskey, multiple bags of protein powder and two handguns loaded with hollow point ammunition. The incident is being investigated by the FBI, working in conjunction with U.S. Bureau of Prisons investigators and officials.

APD Facebook

Why would they bother? Why is that of any particular importance? Hollow point bullets are common. They actually make less sense in a situation where guards are likely wearing body armor. I don't see why the exclamation was made.

I think the fact they were apparently smuggling loaded guns in is enough what type of ammo is of little consequence. Although I don't see why they would smuggle guns in and would guess those weren't going to be smuggled in but were for the smugglers defense. If they smuggled guns in they would be found often and you would hear of regular shootings (of course prisons do cover a lot of stuff up).

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djayed

I read this and figured since it happened local to Atlanta it wasn't well know. What worries me is how many times did this happen before they were caught and how often this happens at other Federal Prisons???

For every one that's caught at least a dozen others got away with it.

2,000 cell phones smuggled into CA prisons in less than 2 months

The object in the report isnt the issue. It's the rate of success that is. Whether it's a phone, a gun, a knife or drugs the method and success rates are likely very similar.

Phones are just "safer" to report on. Nobody wants to believe that getting weapons and drugs in prison can happen.

Where there is a demand there is a market.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Yeah.. I have heard that drugs flow freely in the prisons. Anything from heroin to twinkies. I don't think that the guns were meant to go into the prison.. that is sensationalism. They wouldn't make sense unless a riot was being planned, they would carry a heavy charge, and could be easily found. Just doesn't make much sense. Plus if someone used a gun to kill someone in prison there would be a huge investigation outside the prison that could lead to the arrest of whoever brought it in. So I highly doubt the guns were meant to go inside.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Agreed, I'm with you on your assessment that the smugglers were merely just "armed" and not actually trying to "smuggle in guns". It has happened of course, a gun making its way into prison, but for that to happen would be a pretty "big deal". The crackdown would be immense, and you can't easily hide a gun..

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

Because they are hallow point bullets, they do the most damage. I wouldn't think this was meant for guards since hallow point bullets are more accurate when shooting.

If you have ever been to Atlanta, it would make sense they are smuggling guns into prison.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by guymontag

Agreed, I'm with you on your assessment that the smugglers were merely just "armed" and not actually trying to "smuggle in guns". It has happened of course, a gun making its way into prison, but for that to happen would be a pretty "big deal". The crackdown would be immense, and you can't easily hide a gun..

Have you ever been to Atlanta? Believe me they would try and smuggle guns in! Also, gun violence is quite common in prisons just like drugs, gangs, cell phones, cigarettes, candy bars, etc...
edit on 2/2/2013 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/2/2013 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

Well.. I don't think the guns were meant to go inside anyway, but I don't think the bullets being hollow point give any indication as to who they might be intended for. If something happened and there was a crackdown the guards would be in full gear and a hollow point would have no chance of penetrating. Hollow points do more damage, but lose the penetration the splintering (I don't agree that they are any more or less accurate than other rounds).

Most all self defense rounds are hollow points because they are less likely to go through someone and strike another person, I don't think prisoners would be that conscious of the well being of others. So.. I don't think the rounds being hollow points is any indicator, but really I don't think the guns were intended to be smuggled in.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

A very sick example of guns in prisons...

Man Hides Gun In Rectum: Michael Leon Ward Smuggled 10-Inch Weapon

Source

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

Yes, I have been to Atlanta.
They might try to smuggle them in, but it isn't at all likely. First off there wouldn't be a whole lot of sense behind it. It would be a huge risk for prisoners who would likely just stab anyone they had a problem with. Second it would cause a huge investigation and manhunt for whoever smuggled it in.

And finally and most important it would cause a crackdown that would make it harder for everyone to smuggle in things. That means the prisoners would go without drugs (which many are addicted to), and the smugglers would lose ALL KINDS OF MONEY. I would say that most smugglers would refuse to smuggle guns in because when they are found they would lose money from the other things they smuggle in.

So most likely the guns were for the smugglers protection and only mentioned to hype the story up.
edit on 2-2-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

I am not saying it doesn't happen, but I am saying smugglers likely aren't going to risk losing all the drug and cigarette money causing a crackdown and also bringing heat on themselves by smuggling guns in. Most prisoners probably don't want the heat bringing a gun in would bring either. They would be beat mercilessly by guards for the rest of their stay. I think you need to think a little more about what the implications are. I stand by my assertion that the guns were for the smugglers own protection.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
Hollow points do more damage, but lose the penetration the splintering (I don't agree that they are any more or less accurate than other rounds).

Here is the info on accuracy, I have used them in target practice!

In target shooting, they are used for greater accuracy and reduction of smoke, fouling, and lead vapour exposure, as hollow point bullets have an enclosed base while traditional bullets have an exposed lead base.

Source

I was more leaning to prison on prisoner violence....out of 4 people in the car 3 jumped back into the prison. The number of guns would indicate (In my opinion) that they were bringing them in.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

I have used them as well. The hollow point slows them down and causes less accuracy. A target round is faster and more aerodynamic.

That's going off topic though.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
You would be surprised that most of the cell phones in prison comes from the guards. They can make around $1500 to $2500 a month for each one from inmates with them. The guards by cell phones that do not track the customer and then bring them to inmates during their shifts and then when they go home they do not take them. The next day they will bring in a brand new cell phone on the next shift. And guards have repeat customers because they have to be repeatedly charged. So it is not a one time deal.Prisons have begun to put in cell phone tracking in order to pick up cell phone signals being used in the prisons. Then they do shack downs to find them when a signal has been detected. Also some of the cell phone use has been done in prisons on purpose in order to track criminal activity between prison inmates and gangs they are involved with on the streets. Believe it or not people in prisons keep connections with people on the streets on a regular basis. And even still run illegal activity from prison. Even money is transferred through prison accounts on a regular basis. One inmate will call home and tell their family to put money in another inmates account. Once the money is in the account the inmate will sign a release form and send the money to who ever they want on the street in a check made out by the company who runs inmate funds in the prison. You also have family and friends exchanging money on the streets between each other all tied to the inmates in prison exchanging money or making deals. The family and friends of inmates will not even know who they are giving money to just that their husband,wife,son or daughter said they have to or they could get jumped in prison.

edit on 2-2-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Does anyone know if Eric Holder has an alibi for this? Seems like his MO.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

Don't blame Eric Holder. Blame the private corporations that run the prison system in the US. The prison system is a private corporation any more not a public service like you would think. The jail at your local sheriff station is going to be the only one ran by the state or government. And a lot of times those are not even ran by the state or government.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Yep and when judges get on the take they start locking up people for insane amounts of time.
JBA want to start a prison with me? We can get a fat government check for taking state prisoners.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

The corporations that run them are some of the largest in the world.
It would be hard to compete.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
www.indystar.com...

Federal authorities Wednesday busted a drug ring they say had infiltrated three Indiana prisons. Two inmates and one corrections officer were among 40 people arrested on federal drug charges. The corrections officer, Jon Dobbins, was arrested last month on state charges, including drug trafficking. He appeared in federal court in Indianapolis on Wednesday along with other defendants who had been arrested during a statewide FBI raid earlier in the day. ...

news.yahoo.com...

Video at above link.

It is a common thing any more it seems. They arrested 40 people in the drug ring and only two inmates and a guard, The rest were gangs on the streets. There was also another state that had a huge bust all tied to monitoring the cell phones of a inmate in prison. I can't find it though. They don't want it to be public knowledge I guess that this goes on. So they make it disappear.

new topics

top topics

join