It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vaccine against Cervical Cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

A vaccine that prevents infections known to cause cervical cancer could be available to women within three years, UK experts believe.

Cerical cancer is the 2nd biggest cancer killer for women, this has to be a wonderful breakthrough.

Eventually, it is hoped, the need for smear tests may disappear. Until then they recommend all women to be regulary screened.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Unfortunately, these immunizations will most likely require the use of adjuvants to stimulate a more vigorous immune response. This usually involves including aluminum in the mix. Additionally, I am curious as to the long-term effectiveness of immunizations that need to contain adjuvants: it seems that if you have to "force" an immune response, that response is less likely to remain effective for extended periods.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Interesting article, and I'd be interested how this vaccine works and if it eliminates the HPV that causes genital warts, also. What this article didn't mention, however, is how one is most likely to GET HPV - which is through sex with multiple partners (not all at once but over time). I'd suspect the best way to reduce risk of cervical cancer from HPV is to reduce the number of sexual partners one has. The statistics for infection of HPV are similar in the US to those in the UK.

new topics

join