It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wny does the most flagged thread on ATS only have 607 flags?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Total member accounts: 278,162
Members who have posted: 153,539
Percentage of members who have posted: 55 %
Number of members with 20 or fewer posts: 116,816
Number of members with 20 to 100 posts: 19,589
Number of members with 100 to 500 posts: 10,912
Number of members with 500 to 1,000 posts: 2,616
Number of members with 1,000 to 5,000 posts: 2,536
Number of members with 5,000 to 10,000 posts: 245
Number of members with more than 10,000 posts: 119
Quantity of posts by members with more than 10,000 posts: 2,056,327
New member accounts: Past 24 hours: 53
New member accounts: Past 7 days: 379
New member accounts: Past 30 days: 1,919
New member accounts: Past Year: 24,652
Number of members have created extended profiles: 49,610
Number of members who are podcasting: 282
Number of members who have tagged threads: 8,165
Number of members who have flagged threads: 53,562

As you can see from the last stat, there are over 250 thousand members, but only a little 0ver 50 who have ever flagged a thread. A lot of it comes from the fact that people consider flagging a reward for really good quality content.

The news stories and breaking things like the Fukushima plant provide a great place to discuss the on going crisis, but it usually isn't the kind of thing that is gonna get flagged a bunch of times.

For example a thread by Slayer.

As ATS becomes more populous, those stats will continue to increase, and so will the amount of accolades a particular piece of content receives.

~Tenth

wow thats alot of members..ty

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The flags counter on the "All Roads Lead to Rome" thread has been reset at least once in the past. It received 500+ flags in short time of its first being posted, so in reality, it has much more flags then what is currently being displayed. In fact, that entire thread has been under alot of attack practically since day one from, not just members, but the ATS staff itself. ProtoplasmicTraveller (the author of that thread and many, many other threads of fantastic quality) was banned under suspicious circumstances after a stellar history of thought provoking and intriguing threads. "All Roads Lead to Rome" is, imo, a "unifying theory" of conspiracy theories. If you haven't already, I suggest rummaging through PT's history and reading more of his threads and replies. Between ARLtR and his other threads, you'll find many other members who are essentially on the same "wave length", who provide even more theories and information that practically go hand-in-hand with this grand-daddy of ATS threads.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Although the total membership numbers look quite healthy, the fact is that only 15% of the membership has even been here in the last YEAR. In the last quarter of 2012 19,000 people stopped by.

The following numbers are about a month old and were compiled at the last of the year first of this year, Of the membership 55% (152,026) have bothered to post at all, 123,121 members have NEVER posted, and 115,739 members have posted fewer than 20 times, meaning they have never started a thread and cannot participate fully with the site. They are basically members who have showed up, made a few posts, and moved on.

Now we get into members who have obviously made more of a commitment to the site, which is not quite 13% of the total membership who have made more than 20 posts. 7% of the membership has posted from 20-100 posts. 3.9% of the membership has posted 100-500 posts, so at least they are showing some activity, but from here on out it diminishes rapidly. .9% (that’s "point 9", less than 1%) have posted between 500-1000 posts, and the same percentage has posted between 1,000 and 5,000 posts. From 5,000 to 10,000 posts is .08% ("point zero eight", not quite a hundredth of a percent) and over 10,000 is .04% ("point zero four". not quite a half of a hundredth of a percent) Interestingly, members with over 10,000 posts have created over 13% of all posts on the site.

You can tell this by paging through the member stats by last visit. That takes a lot more work than glancing at the front page. In fact, it’s tedious, but it tells you a lot.
edit on 2/2/2013 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I JUST READ THAT WHOLE THING!!!

I want to know more already it was absolutely the best thread on ATS EVER!

that explained so much that I already knew everyone needs to be taught the truth

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

"So ats why are we so greedy with our flags lol"

because so many suck?

dont have anything to do with conspiracies,

thread closed before you can even have time to post ^^ like sandy hook.

depends when a story is viewed /released and when people are on.

most times its an after thought

new people dont know anything about them

most dont care about flags or stars when determining its value

because in life there are always cheaters, and fanboys

edit on 3-2-2013 by ~widowmaker~ because: ferrets

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

A better question (one that is not allowed to be asked) would be why all these awesome posters who have accumulated such a mass of stars and flags have been banned.

I suspect the banning of these individuals are why ATS is slowly, but almost surely, going downhill in quality.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by goou111

A better question (one that is not allowed to be asked) would be why all these awesome posters who have accumulated such a mass of stars and flags have been banned.

I suspect the banning of these individuals are why ATS is slowly, but almost surely, going downhill in quality.

Maybe, but if youve ever ran or moderated youd see that with some folks when they get very popular or have accumulated a bunch of stars and flags.. they sometimes feel they are "above the law" and wig out when they are treated like just another member as far as TOS/T&C enforcement. YOU have no idea what was said or done behind the scenes or what was removed. Thats the reason that it is forbidden to discuss banned members.. basically being none of your business, you dont know, and its not for you to decide. In any case, it proves that TOS is enforced if youre a newbie or a starred and flagged superstar.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I still dont even understand what all the letters and flags and stars mean....i just dont really care....i star posts i like and thats about it....does flagging it do something too? What do the the other letters mean under the avatar...?

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I don't disagree, and I can certainly see ego playing a part in someone's banning. Nevertheless the result may have been more damaging for the site as a whole, although alternatively keeping them around may have also been quite damaging.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid

Originally posted by goou111
So ats why are we so greedy with our flags lol

Not ALL of us are greedy...

If I post in a thread, I almost always flag it, even if I disagree with it.

BTW, Thanks for making me realize that there is a way to sort threads by flags etc.

I never noticed that before now because those buttons do not even look like buttons.

The author:"ProtoplasmicTraveler" called it the "Mother of all Threads".

What ever happened to him or is he still around?

I am fairly free in the giving flags and stars as well, I even sometimes star posts I disagree with if they are written respectfully or make me pause and think about my own convictions. It is something I have noticed however, in having authored 5 threads in the past 2 weeks or so.

Low flag count is 3 (deserves low flags because it was basically just linking a YT video I thought funny)

3 threads at 5 flags (disappointing as one of them I put a decent amount of research into)

and my high is 12 flags (another that I linked alot of sources and put some research into)

The topics were somewhat varied, one was about dreams and dreaming relaying to facts, theories and psychology thereof. One was about the increased urban military training of late and what it means theoretically. One was about the ridiculousness of school administrations lately with all the nonsensical expulsions over extremely minor things regarding zero tolerance policy. One was about what the government now deems as "things to look our for in relation to being a domestic terrorist".

I've seen a few threads the past week that I thought were not deserving of many flags getting front page coverage and a decent amount of flags. Also seen threads that were thought provoking with decent debate not getting very many flags at all. What it boils down to I guess is that what people are interested in is in the eye of the beholder.
edit on 3-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: rephrase

edit on 3-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: spelling *sigh*

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by tierdofbs
reply to post by goou111

I JUST READ THAT WHOLE THING!!!

I want to know more already it was absolutely the best thread on ATS EVER!

that explained so much that I already knew everyone needs to be taught the truth

great thread once I started reading I couldnt stop

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicexplorer
reply to post by goou111

I still dont even understand what all the letters and flags and stars mean....i just dont really care....i star posts i like and thats about it....does flagging it do something too? What do the the other letters mean under the avatar...?

You say you don't care, then proceed to ask a bunch of questions about the whole thing. It's all right here in this thread, which will tell you exactly how K & W are formulated, and all about flags, stars, applause, and points. You really shouldn't waste your time reading it though. After all, you don't care and nobody else does either. In fact, if you profess caring about such things, other people will be quick to point out there is something dreadfully wrong with you. So it's in everyone's best interests to say they don't care.
edit on 2/4/2013 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by cosmicexplorer
reply to post by goou111

You say you don't care, then proceed to ask a bunch of questions about the whole thing. It's all right here in this thread, which will tell you exactly how K & W are formulated, and all about flags, stars, applause, and points. You really shouldn't waste your time reading it though. After all, you don't care and nobody else does either. In fact, if you profess caring about such things, other people will be quick to point out there is something dreadfully wrong with you. So it's in everyone's best interests to say they don't care.
edit on 2/4/2013 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

Why so much hostility? Angry much? If you read every post I have ever written I have never asked what they mean...and thx for the link by the way...even though you are a human being. This is the first time a thread has come up about this kind of thing so I figured Id ask.....

And I don't care....ive never been on a forum that had such and elaborate system. I care about the knowledge of it...I don't care about how many stars or flags I get...im not that active here...and really dont post that much. So...I don't care...but to bitch at me about seeking knowledge on how it works then attempting to be brave behind your computer and belittle me is cowardly.
edit on 4-2-2013 by cosmicexplorer because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2013 by Springer because: Removed childish name calling

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

Don't flatter yourself, nor blame me for pointing out you contradict yourself. I simply find it bemusing that the majority of the membership professes a deep disdain for the ATS system while wondering precisely how it works. It's like a bunch of kids professing size diesn't matter, but taking peeks at the urinal. This falsetto idea that everyone is equal has brought us such things as the Special Olympics--where everyone is a winner!

I brought you the thread, and the explanation you sought, which is in a sticky since it comes up so often, even though no one cares, mind you. You are very welcome.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

Don't flatter yourself, nor blame me for pointing out you contradict yourself. I simply find it bemusing that the majority of the membership professes a deep disdain for the ATS system while wondering precisely how it works. It's like a bunch of kids professing size diesn't matter, but taking peeks at the urinal. This falsetto idea that everyone is equal has brought us such things as the Special Olympics--where everyone is a winner!

I brought you the thread, and the explanation you sought, which is in a sticky since it comes up so often, even though no one cares, mind you. You are very welcome.

I could understand your frustration by having to repeat link...but it shows...no one cares if they aren't looking for it. You are being a snob...it is people like you that come online to be rude cause in the real world you'd be shut down in anything you did... A simple guide to the link would have worked...or if you were upset about then don't help me...but you have to post the link then act like a prick. Frack you.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

Same, same. Alot of my threads I put alot of time researching something when it popped into my head then made a pretty darn good thread and it may never receive but a few stars, maybe 3 or 4 flags and less than a page of replies, while a rant thread entitled "I wish Atheists would convert" gets 25 pages of replies, a myriad of stars and alot of flags in about 10 minutes of being on the New Topics list.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

Same, same. Alot of my threads I put alot of time researching something when it popped into my head then made a pretty darn good thread and it may never receive but a few stars, maybe 3 or 4 flags and less than a page of replies, while a rant thread entitled "I wish Atheists would convert" gets 25 pages of replies, a myriad of stars and alot of flags in about 10 minutes of being on the New Topics list.

Hahaha, I feel ya! I guess we'd be better off creating the 673rd thread on Us vs. Them (Gun Control debate) or one guaranteed to be axed in less than 4 pages on average (The school that shall not be named)....

As a new author of threads I'd be lying if I said it wasn't in a way discouraging though. Maybe there is a better way to see that a variety of thread topics get at least some coverage on the front page?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I know what you mean. I posted a rant in the rant forum friday. I t was a rant as to where I needed to vent. I never thought for a minute that that rant would blow up faster than Honey Boo Boo locked in doughnut shop. I flag every thread I post in, I will only star those that are well written & within my ability to understand it's content.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by openyourmind1262
I know what you mean. I posted a rant in the rant forum friday. I t was a rant as to where I needed to vent. I never thought for a minute that that rant would blow up faster than Honey Boo Boo locked in doughnut shop. I flag every thread I post in, I will only star those that are well written & within my ability to understand it's content.

Heh, I know, I offered my 2 cents regarding your thread. I understand it was a way for you to blow off steam, it was how you felt and from the heart. It struck a chord with me because I sympathized, I know how it is to be in a relationship with a woman who happens to have children from a previous relationship. I also responded because I have read alot of your posts and you seem to be a pretty decent guy.

It generated debate, because people associated with different points of view regarding the source material (which just happened to be your life experience).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join