It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wny does the most flagged thread on ATS only have 607 flags?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Hi

I was just looking at the all time top topics, and Im kinda bored so Im just curious whythe most flagged thread on ats only has 607 flags

With well over 100,000 members in good standing 607 flags doesnt seem like very many..

Even theepic japan thread with well over 21,000 replies only has 481 flags

I see alot of really good threads on ats,some of Slayers should have 2000 flags easy with this many members..So why do they just get a couple hundred?

So ats why are we so greedy with our flags lol
edit on 2-2-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I guess everyone has different interests.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I think once you get caught up pretty much after page 3 people seem to stop reading the whole thread and just want to input. They simply forget to flag it.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Well you have to take into account the percentage of people that probably don't know what a flag is.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Im sure you are right because Ive done that myself alot..But it still seems like the all time threads should have alot more lol

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
The only person's threads I actually take the time to flag nowadays is Slayer's, mostly because his actually has interesting content and he actually puts effort into his threads. I simply just don't remember to flag a thread if it isn't that engaging to me. When you compare the star system to Youtube's Likes system, it's easy to see why most people don't flag a thread -- why flag when you can star. Star up everyone. Star up that guy just because he has a cool username. Oh look, famous ATS'er, I'm gonna star him. I totally agree, 99TrUtH1sHereXx, star for you.

It's kind of easy to get lost in ATS's myriad of ways to show how you feel towards a thread.

Plus, the flag button is in that awkward top-left corner for some odd reason, no one moves their mouse cursor over there.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
100,000 members doesn't mean 100,000 active members. 8,607 members have visited in the last week and less than half of them have posted. That's still a large amount compared to the number of flags that the top threads get. People just don't bother I guess, there's nothing in it for them.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

I flag slayers threads every time too.. If someone takes as much time as he has too to write a thread then they deserve a flag..

Alot of people write great threads, and put alot of work in them for atsers, and only get 30 or 40 flags

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
So ats why are we so greedy with our flags lol

Not ALL of us are greedy...

If I post in a thread, I almost always flag it, even if I disagree with it.

BTW, Thanks for making me realize that there is a way to sort threads by flags etc.

I never noticed that before now because those buttons do not even look like buttons.

The author:"ProtoplasmicTraveler" called it the "Mother of all Threads".

What ever happened to him or is he still around?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

When you compare the star system to Youtube's Likes system, it's easy to see why most people don't flag a thread -- why flag when you can star. Star up everyone. Star up that guy just because he has a cool username. Oh look, famous ATS'er, I'm gonna star him. I totally agree, 99TrUtH1sHereXx, star for you.

They didn't have a star system here for years.

Back then you had to vocally say you appreciated their post hahaha

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

True. What IS a flag, anyway? Nothing explaining it on the profile page?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by shantyknight

What IS a flag, anyway?

The more people flag a thread the higher on all the forums it will appear. Since this site is user driven, this directly reflects how much attention is paid to it.

Or something like that.
edit on 2-2-2013 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Maybe ATS should change the word Flag to Like.

Most forums use the term 'flag" to mean report to a moderator.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by shantyknight

Everything you need to know:

Originally posted by the moderator Rising Against

The whole point of flagging a thread on Abovetopsecret.com is so we can determine, as chosen by members, which threads deserve the most attention. The more flags a thread get's, the better and It is you highlighting that this thread is worthy of being read by other members. The higher flagged threads are also highlighted on the site homepage.

edit on 2-2-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Top Topics / All time summary / most flagged.......
766 flags - Skyfloating

IMO, I think that the reason there are so few flags in threads is two-fold.

1. When it reaches the New Topics page it gets considerable exposure so others can see it for the 16 hours it remains up and thereafter on the front page. Approx 12-15 flags usually is enough to get there and thereafter it climbs once others see.

2. Some members see flagging as a reward and therefore will not flag if disagree with the content of the OP. This is evident in the "Active New Topics" column where there are hundreds of comments and very few flags - as the poster above has indicated with Rising Against reason for flags is overlooked / ignored. These same threads are usually jamb-packed with disagreements with the OP. Others forget or are not interested in flagging.

edit on 2-2-2013 by Sublimecraft because: added comment

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
Even theepic japan thread with well over 21,000 replies only has 481 flags

How many unique replies are in that thread? I'm sure lots of people post multiple posts.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Total member accounts: 278,162
Members who have posted: 153,539
Percentage of members who have posted: 55 %
Number of members with 20 or fewer posts: 116,816
Number of members with 20 to 100 posts: 19,589
Number of members with 100 to 500 posts: 10,912
Number of members with 500 to 1,000 posts: 2,616
Number of members with 1,000 to 5,000 posts: 2,536
Number of members with 5,000 to 10,000 posts: 245
Number of members with more than 10,000 posts: 119
Quantity of posts by members with more than 10,000 posts: 2,056,327
New member accounts: Past 24 hours: 53
New member accounts: Past 7 days: 379
New member accounts: Past 30 days: 1,919
New member accounts: Past Year: 24,652
Number of members have created extended profiles: 49,610
Number of members who are podcasting: 282
Number of members who have tagged threads: 8,165
Number of members who have flagged threads: 53,562

As you can see from the last stat, there are over 250 thousand members, but only a little 0ver 50 who have ever flagged a thread. A lot of it comes from the fact that people consider flagging a reward for really good quality content.

The news stories and breaking things like the Fukushima plant provide a great place to discuss the on going crisis, but it usually isn't the kind of thing that is gonna get flagged a bunch of times.

For example a thread by Slayer.

As ATS becomes more populous, those stats will continue to increase, and so will the amount of accolades a particular piece of content receives.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
When they crucify a great spirit, they never allow further tributes to the author's work. But sometimes it backfires. It all depends on what

ie., your link, "All Roads Lead to Rome". Proto's work can no longer be flagged.
edit on 2-2-2013 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-2-2013 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I'm not sure on this, are members in good standing the same as active members? I'm sure there is a way on here to see how many members are actually active.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft
reply to post by goou111

Top Topics / All time summary / most flagged.......
766 flags - Skyfloating

IMO, I think that the reason there are so few flags in threads is two-fold.

1. When it reaches the New Topics page it gets considerable exposure so others can see it for the 16 hours it remains up and thereafter on the front page. Approx 12-15 flags usually is enough to get there and thereafter it climbs once others see.

2. Some members see flagging as a reward and therefore will not flag if disagree with the content of the OP. This is evident in the "Active New Topics" column where there are hundreds of comments and very few flags - as the poster above has indicated with Rising Against reason for flags is overlooked / ignored. These same threads are usually jamb-packed with disagreements with the OP. Others forget or are not interested in flagging.

edit on 2-2-2013 by Sublimecraft because: added comment

ty I didnt even see that one. so I flagged it lol

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join