It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God's Invitation for us to Pray

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I was reading some thoughts about prayer today and thought some others here may be inspired positively by them as I was...

Linked With God Through Prayer

It is a wonderful thing that we can pray effectually; that unworthy, erring mortals possess the power of offering their requests to God. What higher power can man desire than this,—to be linked with the infinite God? Feeble, sinful man has the privilege of speaking to his Maker. We may utter words that reach the throne of the Monarch of the universe. We may speak with Jesus as we walk by the way, and He says, I am at thy right hand.

We may commune with God in our hearts; we may walk in companionship with Christ. When engaged in our daily labor, we may breathe out our heart’s desire, inaudible to any human ear; but that word cannot die away into silence, nor can it be lost. Nothing can drown the soul’s desire. It rises above the din of the street, above the noise of machinery. It is God to whom we are speaking, and our prayer is heard.

Ask, then; ask, and ye shall receive. Ask for humility, wisdom, courage, increase of faith. To every sincere prayer an answer will come. It may not come just as you desire, or at the time you look for it; but it will come in the way and at the time that will best meet your need. The prayers you offer in loneliness, in weariness, in trial, God answers, not always according to your expectations, but always for your good.—(Gospel Workers, 258.)

Opening the Heart to a Friend

Prayer is the opening of the heart to God as to a friend. Not that it is necessary in order to make known to God what we are, but in order to enable us to receive Him. Prayer does not bring God down to us, but brings us up to Him.

When Jesus was upon the earth, He taught His disciples how to pray. He directed them to present their daily needs before God, and to cast all their care upon Him. And the assurance He gave them that their petitions should be heard, is assurance also to us.—(Steps to Christ, 93.)

Tell Jesus All Your Needs

There are few who rightly appreciate or improve the precious privilege of prayer. We should go to Jesus and tell Him all our needs. We may bring Him our little cares and perplexities as well as our greater troubles. Whatever arises to disturb or distress us, we should take it to the Lord in prayer. When we feel that we need the presence of Christ at every step, Satan will have little opportunity to intrude his temptations. It is his studied effort to keep us away from our best and most sympathizing friend. We should make no one our confidant but Jesus. We can safely commune with Him of all that is in our hearts.—(Testimonies for the Church 5:200, 201.)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Prayer Enables Us to Live in the Sunshine of His Presence

It is our privilege to open our hearts, and let the sunshine of Christ’s presence in. My brother, my sister, face the light. Come into actual, personal contact with Christ, that you may exert an influence that is uplifting and reviving. Let your faith be strong and pure and steadfast. Let gratitude to God fill your hearts. When you rise in the morning, kneel at your bedside, and ask God to give you strength to fulfil the duties of the day, and to meet its temptations. Ask Him to help you to bring into your work Christ’s sweetness of character. Ask Him to help you to speak words that will inspire those around you with hope and courage, and draw you nearer to the Saviour.—(Sons and Daughters of God, 199.)

A Foretaste of Heaven

Rest yourself wholly in the hands of Jesus. Contemplate His great love, and while you meditate upon His self-denial, His infinite sacrifice made in our behalf in order that we should believe in Him, your heart will be filled with holy joy, calm peace, and indescribable love. As we talk of Jesus, as we call upon Him in prayer, our confidence that He is our personal, loving Saviour will strengthen and His character will appear more and more lovely.... We may enjoy rich feasts of love, and as we fully believe that we are His by adoption, we may have a foretaste of heaven. Wait upon the Lord in faith. The Lord draws out the soul in prayer, and gives us to feel His precious love. We have a nearness to Him, and can hold sweet communion with Him. We obtain distinct views of His tenderness and compassion, and our hearts are broken and melted with contemplation of the love that is given to us. We feel indeed an abiding Christ in the soul. We abide in Him, and feel at home with Jesus. The promises flow into the soul. Our peace is like a river, wave after wave of glory rolls into the heart, and indeed we sup with Jesus and He with us. We have a realizing sense of the love of God, and we rest in His love.

No language can describe it, it is beyond knowledge. We are one with Christ, our life is hid with Christ in God. We have the assurance that when He who is our life shall appear, then shall we also appear with Him in glory. With strong confidence, we can call God our Father.—(The S.D.A. Bible Commentary 3:1147, 1148.)

Prayer Brings Freshness to Spiritual Life

Our life is to be bound up with the life of Christ; we are to draw constantly from Him, partaking of Him, the living Bread that came down from heaven, drawing from a fountain ever fresh, ever giving forth its abundant treasures. If we keep the Lord ever before us, allowing our hearts to go out in thanksgiving and praise to Him, we shall have a continual freshness in our religious life. Our prayers will take the form of a conversation with God as we would talk with a friend. He will speak His mysteries to us personally. Often there will come to us a sweet joyful sense of the presence of Jesus. Often our hearts will burn within us as He draws nigh to commune with us as He did with Enoch. When this is in truth the experience of the Christian, there is seen in his life a simplicity, a humility, meekness, and lowliness of heart, that show to all with whom he associates that he has been with Jesus and learned of Him.—(Christ’s Object Lessons, 129, 130.)

A Place to Flee That Is Always Open

The way to the throne of God is always open. You cannot always be on your knees in prayer, but your silent petitions may constantly ascend to God for strength and guidance. When tempted, as you will be, you may flee to the secret place of the Most High. His everlasting arms will be underneath you.—( In Heavenly Places, 86.)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Every Sincere Prayer Is Heard

As yet the disciples were unacquainted with the Saviour’s unlimited resources and power. He said to them, “Hitherto have ye asked nothing in My name.” John 16:24. He explained that the secret of their success would be in asking for strength and grace in His name. He would be present before the Father to make request for them. The prayer of the humble suppliant He presents as His own desire in that soul’s behalf. Every sincere prayer is heard in heaven. It may not be fluently expressed; but if the heart is in it, it will ascend to the sanctuary where Jesus ministers, and He will present it to the Father without one awkward, stammering word, beautiful and fragrant with the incense of His own perfection.

The path of sincerity and integrity is not a path free from obstruction, but in every difficulty we are to see a call to prayer. There is no one living who has any power that he has not received from God, and the source whence it comes is open to the weakest human being. “Whatsoever ye shall ask in My name,” said Jesus, “that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask anything in My name, I will do it.”

“In My name,” Christ bade His disciples pray. In Christ’s name His followers are to stand before God. Through the value of the sacrifice made for them, they are of value in the Lord’s sight. Because of the imputed righteousness of Christ they are accounted precious. For Christ’s sake the Lord pardons those that fear Him. He does not see in them the vileness of the sinner. He recognizes in them the likeness of His Son, in whom they believe.—(The Desire of Ages, 667.)

Angels Mark Our Prayers and Influence Us for Good

When you rise in the morning, do you feel your helplessness and your need of strength from God? and do you humbly, heartily make known your wants to your heavenly Father? If so, angels mark your prayers, and if these prayers have not gone forth out of feigned lips, when you are in danger of unconsciously doing wrong and exerting an influence which will lead others to do wrong, your guardian angel will be by your side, prompting you to a better course, choosing your words for you, and influencing your actions.

If you feel in no danger, and if you offer no prayer for help and strength to resist temptations, you will be sure to go astray; your neglect of duty will be marked in the book of God in heaven, and you will be found wanting in the trying day.—(Testimonies for the Church 3:363, 364.)

Pray With Holy Boldness

“If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.” When you pray, present this promise. It is our privilege to come to Him with holy boldness. As in sincerity we ask Him to let His light shine upon us, He will hear and answer us.—(Child Guidance, 499.)

Heaven is open to our petitions, and we are invited to come “boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” We are to come in faith, believing that we shall obtain the very things we ask of him.

--------------------------------------------------------

Ask for Our Needs

Every promise in the word of God furnishes us with subject matter for prayer, presenting the pledged word of Jehovah as our assurance. Whatever spiritual blessing we need, it is our privilege to claim through Jesus. We may tell the Lord, with the simplicity of a child, exactly what we need. We may state to Him our temporal matters, asking Him for bread and raiment as well as for the bread of life and the robe of Christ’s righteousness. Your heavenly Father knows that you have need of all these things, and you are invited to ask Him concerning them. It is through the name of Jesus that every favor is received. God will honor that name, and will supply your necessities from the riches of His liberality.—(Thoughts from the Mount of Blessing, 133.)

Our Prayers Never Burden or Weary God

There is no time or place in which it is inappropriate to offer up a petition to God. There is nothing that can prevent us from lifting up our hearts in the spirit of earnest prayer. In the crowds of the street, in the midst of a business engagement, we may send up a petition to God and plead for divine guidance, as did Nehemiah when he made his request before King Artaxerxes. A closet of communion may be found wherever we are. We should have the door of the heart open continually and our invitation going up that Jesus may come and abide as a heavenly guest in the soul.

Although there may be a tainted, corrupted atmosphere around us, we need not breathe its miasma, but may live in the pure air of heaven. We may close every door to impure imaginings and unholy thoughts by lifting the soul into the presence of God through sincere prayer. Those whose hearts are open to receive the support and blessing of God will walk in a holier atmosphere than that of earth and will have constant communion with heaven.

We need to have more distinct views of Jesus and a fuller comprehension of the value of eternal realities. The beauty of holiness is to fill the hearts of God’s children; and that this may be accomplished, we should seek for divine disclosures of heavenly things.
Let the soul be drawn out and upward, that God may grant us a breath of the heavenly atmosphere. We may keep so near to God that in every unexpected trial our thoughts will turn to Him as naturally as the flower turns to the sun.

Keep your wants, your joys, your sorrows, your cares, and your fears before God. You cannot burden Him; you cannot weary Him. He who numbers the hairs of your head is not indifferent to the wants of His children. “The Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy” (James 5:11). His heart of love is touched by our sorrows and even by our utterances of them. Take to Him everything that perplexes the mind. Nothing is too great for Him to bear, for He holds up worlds. He rules over all the affairs of the universe.

Nothing that in any way concerns our peace is too small for Him to notice. There is no chapter in our experience too dark for Him to read; there is no perplexity too difficult for Him to unravel.... The relations between God and each soul are as distinct and full as though there were not another soul upon the earth to share His watchcare, not another soul for whom He gave His beloved Son.—(Steps to Christ, 99, 100.)

Go Forward, Trusting God

We are to encourage in one another that living faith which Christ has made it possible for every believer to have. The work is to be carried forward as the Lord prepares the way. When He brings His people into strait places, then it is their privilege to assemble together for prayer, remembering that all things come of God. Those who have not yet shared in the trying experiences that attend the work in these last days will soon have to pass through scenes that will severely test their confidence in God. It is at the time His people see no way to advance, when the Red Sea is before them and the pursuing army behind, that God bids them: “Go forward.” Thus He is working to test their faith. When such experiences come to you, go forward, trusting in Christ. Walk step by step in the path He marks out. Trials will come, but go forward. This will give you an experience that will strengthen your faith in God and fit you for truest service.—(Testimonies for the Church 9:273.)

edit on 2-2-2013 by JesuitGarlic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JesuitGarlic

To every sincere prayer an answer will come. It may not come just as you desire, or at the time you look for it; but it will come in the way and at the time that will best meet your need. The prayers you offer in loneliness, in weariness, in trial, God answers, not always according to your expectations, but always for your good.—(Gospel Workers, 258.)

Think about what you're believing, JG. This is a circle of lies designed so that an imaginary god can't lose.

Someone prays to god to help him get a job at a local factory. If he gets the job it's because god heard his prayers. If he doesn't get the job, well it's god's will. If he doesn't get the factory job, but is hired as a dishwasher in a nearby restaurant, he can chalk it up to how god works in mysterious ways. If he doesn't get a job and ends up broke and homeless, hey it's not god's fault - God only helps those that help themselves.

If we replace the word 'god' in the above statement with any other thing, it still works.

Someone prays to floor tile to help him get a job at a local factory. If he gets the job it's because floor tile heard his prayers. If he doesn't get the job, well it's floor tile's will. If he doesn't get the factory job, but is hired as a dishwasher in a nearby restaurant, he can chalk it up to how floor tile works in mysterious ways. If he doesn't get a job and ends up broke and homeless, hey it's not floor tile's fault. Floor tile only helps those that help themselves.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

What higher power can man desire than this,—to be linked with the infinite God?

If God is so infinite, then surely 'he' has a feminine aspect?

So when are you going to extend the Goddess's invitation to pray, OP?

Just saying, how about a little balance? Why must a patriarchal God-image be the only way? If God is so infinite, surely 'he' transcends limitations like gender, just as we all do deep down. Are you in touch with your feminine aspect, OP? Are you creating an idol of God in your own image?

Moses and the Shepherd (Rumi)

Moses heard a shepherd on the road praying,
“God,
where are you? I want to help You, to fix Your shoes
and comb your hair. I want to wash Your clothes
and pick the lice off. I want to bring You milk,
to kiss Your little hands and feet when it’s time
for You to go to bed. I want to sweep Your room
and keep it neat. God, my sheep and my goats
are Yours. All I can say, remembering You,
is ayyyyyyy and ahhhhhhhh.”

Moses could stand it no longer.
“Who are you talking to?”

“The one who made us,
and made the earth and made the sky.”
“Don’t talk about shoes and socks with God!
And what’s this with Your little hands and feet?
Such blasphemous familiarity sounds like
you’re chatting with your uncles.
Only something that grows needs milk.
Only someone with feet needs shoes. Not God!
Even if you meant God’s human representatives,
as when God said, ‘I was sick, and you did not visit me,’
even then this tone would be foolish and irreverent.

Use appropriate terms. Fatima is a fine name
for a woman, but if you call a man Fatima,
it’s an insult. Body-and-birth language
are right for us on this side of the river,
but not for addressing the Origin,
not for Allah.”

The shepherd repented and tore his clothes and sighed
and wandered out into the desert.

A sudden revelation
came then to Moses. God’s voice:
You have separated Me
from one of my own. Did you come as a prophet to unite,
or to sever?
I have given each being a separate and unique way
of seeing and knowing and saying that knowledge.
What seems wrong to you is right for him.
What is poison to one is honey to someone else.

Purity and impurity, sloth and diligence in worship,
these mean nothing to Me.
I am apart from all that.
Ways of worshipping are not to be ranked as better
or worse than one another.
Hindus do Hindu things.
The Dravidian Muslims in India do what they do.
It’s all praise, and it’s all right.

It’s not Me that’s glorified in acts of worship.
It’s the worshippers! I don’t hear the words
They say. I look inside at the humility.
That broken-open lowliness is the Reality,
not the language! Forget phraseology.
I want burning, burning.
Be friends
with your burning. Burn up your thinking
and your forms of expression!
Moses,
those who pay attention to ways of behaving
and speaking are one sort.
Lovers who burn are another.”

Don’t impose a property tax
on a burned out village. Don’t scold the Lover.
The “wrong” way he talks is better than a hundred
“right” ways of others.
Inside the Kaaba
it doesn’t matter which direction you point
your prayer rug!
The ocean diver doesn’t need snowshoes!
The Love-Religion has no code or doctrine.
Only God.
So the ruby has nothing engraved on it!
It doesn’t need markings.
God began speaking
deeper mysteries to Moses. Vision and words,
which cannot be recorded here, poured into
and through him. He left himself and came back.
He went to eternity and came back here.
Many times this happened.
It’s foolish of me
to try and say this. If I did say it,
it would uproot our human intelligences.
It would shatter all writing pens.

Moses ran after the shepherd.
He followed the bewildered footprints,
in one place moving straight like a castle
across a chessboard. In another, sideways,
like a bishop.
Now surging like a wave cresting,
now sliding down like a fish,
with always his feet
making geomancy symbols in the sand,
recording his wandering state.

Moses finally caught up with him.
“I was wrong. God has revealed to me
that there are no rules for worship.
Say whatever
and however your loving tells you to. Your sweet blasphemy
is the truest devotion.
Through you a whole world is freed.
Loosen your tongue and don’t worry what comes out.
It’s all the light of the Spirit.”

The shepherd replied,
“Moses, Moses,
I’ve gone beyond even that.
You applied the whip and my horse shied and jumped
out of itself. The Divine Nature and my human nature
came together.
Bless your scolding hand and your arm.
I can’t say what has happened.
What I’m saying now
is not my real condition. It can’t be said.”

The shepherd grew quiet.

When you look in a mirror,
you see yourself, not the state of the mirror.
The fluteplayer puts breath into a flute,
and who makes the music? Not the flute.
The Fluteplayer!

Whenever you speak praise
or thanksgiving to God, it’s always like this
dear shepherd’s simplicity.
When you eventually see
through the veils to how things really are,
you will keep saying again
and again,
“This is certainly not like
we thought it was!”

edit on 2-2-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Exactly Jigger. It's hard to believe I used to live my life the way you just described.

George Carlin once said he prayed to Joe Pesci, and he got about the same results that he used to get when he prayed to god. Roughly 50%. In fact, the clip is well worth watching, for more than just the laughs. He makes some good points that fit the antithesis of this thread. The Joe Pesci thing is about 6:45 in.

Just my thoughts, and no offense intended to you OP.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Someone prays to god to help him get a job at a local factory. If he gets the job it's because god heard his prayers. If he doesn't get the job, well it's god's will. If he doesn't get the factory job, but is hired as a dishwasher in a nearby restaurant, he can chalk it up to how god works in mysterious ways. If he doesn't get a job and ends up broke and homeless, hey it's not god's fault - God only helps those that help themselves.

The issue of a job is very complicated to deal with....people can seek a job for multiple reasons, and fulfilling multiple needs:

Five Levels of the Hierarchy of Needs

There are five different levels in Maslow’s hierarchy of needs:

Physiological Needs
These include the most basic needs that are vital to survival, such as the need for water, air, food, and sleep. Maslow believed that these needs are the most basic and instinctive needs in the hierarchy because all needs become secondary until these physiological needs are met.

Security Needs
These include needs for safety and security. Security needs are important for survival, but they are not as demanding as the physiological needs. Examples of security needs include a desire for steady employment, health insurance, safe neighborhoods, and shelter from the environment.

Social Needs
These include needs for belonging, love, and affection. Maslow considered these needs to be less basic than physiological and security needs. Relationships such as friendships, romantic attachments, and families help fulfill this need for companionship and acceptance, as does involvement in social, community, or religious groups.

Esteem Needs
After the first three needs have been satisfied, esteem needs becomes increasingly important. These include the need for things that reflect on self-esteem, personal worth, social recognition, and accomplishment.

Self-actualizing Needs
This is the highest level of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. Self-actualizing people are self-aware, concerned with personal growth, less concerned with the opinions of others, and interested fulfilling their potential
source

Depending on where people are in their lives, what opportunities there are where they are located and the times and state of the world we are in all contribute to the outcome.

It is up to each person to determine at what level of needs they are aiming at....and whether they are seeking to be in tune with what God's purpose for their life is. People who earnestly seek after God's purpose would be looking for it and trying to be directed by it. Of course multiple outcomes are possible....it is up to each person to seek to understand the purpose behind each outcome, their level of perseverance in seeking God ect. Often times when a person prays for something and it doesn't happen the way they anticipate it might be much further down the road, months and years, before they gain understanding of why that had to be the way it was to lead to this or that other outcome, effect or other opportunity.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

If God is so infinite, then surely 'he' has a feminine aspect? So when are you going to extend the Goddess's invitation to pray, OP?

Does feminine imply He must be female (have female sexual organs) as well??? How about you list some 'feminine' aspects of His character...they are not hard to find.

Is God able to create life ....does a woman bring forth life
If the angels in heaven live forever do they need to reproduce to prolong their kind.....no

One reason we were created male and female was so we could understand the mind of God in the role He has as the Law giver in heaven and why any kind of Law is needed for us. Parents set the law/rules/instructions for their children because children often can not see the consequences of their actions, how it will impact others and ultimately what is best for them.

Did Jesus have female sexual organs....no
Does He contain and promote aspects that are feminine...yes

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

The issue of a job is very complicated to deal with....people can seek a job for multiple reasons, and fulfilling multiple needs:

What? This isn't about a job or personal needs, JG. It's about prayer.

And, what few people understand about believing in the power of prayer is that it proves god to be evil. Here's how:

A friend of yours was crunched in a car accident. While he's in surgery you pray to god to save his life. Your friend survives. YAY!

Now, here's the thing, do you actually believe that god wouldn't have saved your friend if you HADN'T prayed for him? Would god say to himself, "Well, JG didn't pray to save his buddy, so screw it, kill his friend."? Under this premise we must conclude only one of two things, 1. Prayer is irrelevant, or, 2. God is evil.

edit on 2/2/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I am reading a very interesting book that was written by an ex-Muslim terrorist who converted to Christianity.
I strongly recommend it to anyone with an open mind. "God's War on Terror - Islam, Prophecy and the Bible."

What drew me to this subject was a nagging question: "Why would another Prophet (Muhammed) and another Holy Book be necessary if Jesus is God?"

As for all you posts, Jesuit Garlic, might I suggest that Satan would love to see Christianity become a house divided as a house divided will fall. Your efforts to prove the Roman Catholic Church to be a tool of the devil are duly noted.

Here is a short presentation about the mark of the beast given by this ex-PLO terrorist now a Christian.

Breathe a sign of relief that it is not and RFID chip and open you eyes to who your enemy really is.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

John 14:13
And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Matthew 7:7
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. John 13:31 When he was gone, Jesus said, "Now is the Son of Man glorified and God is glorified in him. John 15:16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.

Matthew 18:19
Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

What on earth are Christians praying for that there are still babies dying of starvation and in wars? How can there still be so much oppression if God and Jesus are answering all these prayers and fulfilling all their promises?

So, either Jesus was a liar or Christians just aren't praying for the right things.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesuitGarlic

If God is so infinite, then surely 'he' has a feminine aspect? So when are you going to extend the Goddess's invitation to pray, OP?

Does feminine imply He must be female (have female sexual organs) as well??? How about you list some 'feminine' aspects of His character...they are not hard to find.

If they are not hard to find, then why do you need me to list them? Why can't you simply acknowledge that Goddess is God too?

Maybe it's because your location, the 'tip of the spear', is too phallic?

Shekhina; The Feminine Aspect of God

I hope your thinking isn't so primitive that you equate gender characteristics only with genitals. It might come as a shock to you but every male has some feminine energy and vice-versa, regardless of genitals.

Are you repressing the feminine qualities in yourself and in God/dess? That's a good way to remain incomplete and unenlightened.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

What? This isn't about a job or personal needs, JG. It's about prayer.

You used an example of a person praying about a job...you have made it about a job. You are trying to determine what action God has taken in all of this. Our perspective of what God may have done can be based on our personal needs...that is very relevant in a response.

And, what few people understand about believing in the power of prayer is that it proves god to be evil. Here's how:

A friend of yours was crunched in a car accident. While he's in surgery you pray to god to save his life. Your friend survives. YAY!

Well I believe in the power of prayer and it hasn't proved God is evil to me.

If this friend was already a believer I would not pray for God to save his life. I would pray that God strengthen his spirit to deal with whatever comes his way and give him comforting assurance during this trying time. Prayer and Christianity is not about trying to prolong this temporal life as much as possible and get as much stuff as you can...which seems to be what your line of questioning implies.

Now, here's the thing, do you actually believe that god wouldn't have saved your friend if you HADN'T prayed for him? Would god say to himself, "Well, JG didn't pray to save his buddy, so screw it, kill his friend."? Under this premise we must conclude only one of two things, 1. Prayer is irrelevant, or, 2. God is evil.

Seeing that I would not have prayed for God to save his life in that circumstance your conclusions are not justified. If God's plan for my friend's life was to end it then I would trust God's decision to be the right one whether he lived or died.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

To every sincere prayer an answer will come. It may not come just as you desire, or at the time you look for it; but it will come in the way and at the time that will best meet your need. The prayers you offer in loneliness, in weariness, in trial, God answers, not always according to your expectations, but always for your good.—(Gospel Workers, 258.)

Think about what you're believing, JG. This is a circle of lies designed so that an imaginary god can't lose.

Quick question, have you ever believed? Have you ever prayed? If you haven't, how could you tell someone of something you have no personal familiarization with?

Although I believe some of the quotes of JG is a bunch of hap-dash, general justifications and responses of those that do not understand what is going behind the scenes, there are grains of truths in there.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

If they are not hard to find, then why do you need me to list them?

That would be to encourage you to open up your Bible and read it...you can start with the beatitudes (Matt 5)

Many qualities there being promoted by God I would consider feminine. By reading the Bible yourself you might come up with a different example that is feminine and disagree with my own (who's list of qualities are right and are feminine, who knows, it is not a line of argument I seek to pursue).

Why can't you simply acknowledge that Goddess is God too?

That would be because Semiramis, a brothel keeper who married Nimrod (a few generations descendant of Noah) gave herself all kinds of fancy titles and deified herself and her husband and her child Tammuz. This was the creation of the first pagan religion (father, mother, child false trinity) which then branched out throughout the continents over the centuries. Why would I choose to worship this human woman's creation of a religion when she was nothing special...although she had her husband killed and then her son ended up killing her when he found out that she was trying to kill him too.

You called yourself a Christian in your previous thread (sorry for not getting back to you on that yet)...please show me in the Bible where God describes Himself as a Goddess

Maybe it's because your location, the 'tip of the spear', is too phallic?

My reference of 'tip of spear' is referring to being in the front-lines of the battle, at the cutting edge of the important conflict in the final battle for people's souls...take it however you wish

You might be interested to know that all of those statements about prayer are written by one woman and they represent about 1 25th of the statements from her about prayer I could use...those statements are also considered to be truth from God from people in my church and not just fluffy suggestions or speculations of the way things are.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

What on earth are Christians praying for that there are still babies dying of starvation and in wars?

Christians in general I would say do not pray enough or for what is important but this is not really the root cause of babies dying of starvation and wars. The technology exists and the funding exists so that no babies need die of starvation. Why does it happen though. The people who monopolize the technology and shelve it or keep it to themselves are generally apart of this overall eugenics system whose objective is to set up a control grid over society, and dictate a persons thoughts. They don't care about creating prosperity for all.

If people studied real history and learnt who was behind major conflicts, assassinations, political movements ect...they would see who is the hand pulling the strings all so often (which is exactly the groups the Bible says it would be). When you understand the religious affiliations the key people in power have you will understand why America is now running head first into tyranny. Is the Joe Biden going to stop it...no. Is the US supreme court going to stop it...no.

America has been infiltrated with people in high places and influence for at least a hundred years who aim to take away their hard fought liberty and bring them back into the fold (at to be used parasitically to helped enable tyranny worldwide).

How can there still be so much oppression if God and Jesus are answering all these prayers and fulfilling all their promises?

Jesus is concerned about character development....Jesus often doesn't respond in the way people expect nor do they understand His will nor the testimony of what Satan's temporal authority over this world is to be before the universe to be the reason to wipe out sin forever and it never to be an issue again.

A good thing for Christians to do would be to pray to God to direct them to some places to find out what is going on in the world and why it is so they can get targeted in their efforts in exposing corruption and trying to stop it. Most people can't be bothered to put in the time or risk their lives or reputation to be put to work for Him in a way that will stop starvation and senseless war and these 'Christians' will have a lot to answer for when they step before God. A lot of Christians in name only are not going to make it to Heaven.

The relationships of the web of human agents that enable such crap to go on in the world is a complicated but vital study

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Prayer changes the states of the world around us. Too many of us have working evidence for this to say it is imaginary. If you were to compare this to collapsing wave function in physics, there is good reason why belief can profoundly change what is indeterminate to determinate. Scientifically, there is solid ground for both the nonlocality of consciousness and the ability of the unconscious to be programmed to serve the conscious observer. Prayer is the mechanism for reflection between the two dimensions of existence. Where this would have sounded like WOO before, it now rings true with the latest discoveries. Just today, a thread shows evidence for this duality of states for consciousness. Over and over again, our simple reasoning of the world around us shows the Bible to be true to the letter. More specifically, the very words we use with the breath we are given.

John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it.

The Quantum Mechanics of Faith

The interesting thing about this is the fact that, independent of the Bible, mystics across the world have come to the same conclusions. Science, in its perceived rationality, will simply take longer to get there. To say that you are incorrect about your conclusions would not be accurate. You have many good reasons for doubting what changes the states of matter. It's natural to be skeptical. Is it God? We cannot know just yet, but one thing is clear: God continually rises to the top of what is evident. On the other hand, I can flat out deny anyone who tries to make the case that something beyond our reasoning is NOT working hand in hand with our consciousness. This part is obvious and completely consistent with what we observe from nature. Nature proclaims this to us, yet proof will not arrive before faith is unnecessary. This is evident and at the top of every axiom we know. Something, beyond our knowledge, works around us. No amount of rationalization can deny this.

If this is true, then denying the case for God is not rational. It can easily be assumed that a Creator and Sustainer must not be discounted from the equation until it can be proven otherwise. Faith demands that we can neither prove or disprove. Until we disprove a Creator, the evident nature of Creation still proclaims this as evident indeed. Given the nature of prophecy, the enigma of the the Bible, the overwhelming chorus of voices across history and the evident conclusions those voices cry, I can stake a claim on God being evident far more plausibly than any denial could ever muster against.

Spirit being connected throughout the universe is the most rational conclusion we possess. Prayer is simply communion with this Spirit by reflection within the image. Again, the evident nature of the universe being an image of energy stands out as the axiom we hold. If we are a created image, then our connection back to ourselves on the other side would naturally unitize the same WORD that created us. Remember, when you look in a mirror, you are not the one in the image. You are the one casting the image. God states very clearly that we are HIS image. We are children INSIDE his image and images of Him. With this in mind, we know what Matthew 18 was saying.

10 “See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.

What else does Matthew 18 state in connection with prayer in a quantum state of mechanical creation?

18 “Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be[e] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[f] loosed in heaven.

19 “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

Consider entanglement. Again, we have more evidence for this state of affairs than against.

Did you see this THREAD today on the same subject?

edit on 2-2-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I agree with much of what you said. But being a recovering Christian, as in "not one any more" I am cynical of the truth in the scriptures that Jesus promises followers anything they ask for.

That being said, as a sensitive person, that can feel others thoughts and intentions from afar, I believe in the power of prayer. Sadly, to often Christians pray for destruction and personal demise, and their intention can be felt. Negative energy is very powerful, and love can be fleeting. Christians, just like anybody else, can love you one day, and the next day, you're out.

My mother, upset at my rejection of her religion, Assemble of God, Holy Roller Pentecostal, while she was still alive, used to pray for my demise, in order for God to make me see the error of my ways. I could feel her constant disapproval and disappointment with every success and happiness that I owned. She was empowered and her faith revitalized at every one of my failures and losses. It's funny how she used to advise God through prayer.

Everyone can pray, even atheists. But one should not be praying to a god. One should be directing good thought and positive energy to the person or situation that is vexing one to prayer. If one believes in a God, then prayer to him should not be seen as "prayer" but as worshipful meditation. In my opinion "prayer" to a god should be wordless and mindless, coming from the heart only. Emotions may be presented as if upon an alter, then left there when one walks away.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesuitGarlic

If they are not hard to find, then why do you need me to list them?

That would be to encourage you to open up your Bible and read it...you can start with the beatitudes (Matt 5)

Many qualities there being promoted by God I would consider feminine. By reading the Bible yourself you might come up with a different example that is feminine and disagree with my own (who's list of qualities are right and are feminine, who knows, it is not a line of argument I seek to pursue).

Thanks but I don't need your encouragement in order to read the Bible. Who the heck do you think you are? Do you just assume that people with a hermeneutic that leads them to disagree with you are just ignorant and therefore need to be encouraged to read the Bible? Maybe you are the ignorant one. Maybe you are the one who needs to read more. You can start with The Hero With a Thousand Faces by Campbell.

You called yourself a Christian in your previous thread (sorry for not getting back to you on that yet)...please show me in the Bible where God describes Himself as a Goddess

Assuming you have the wit to read between the lines, here you go.

FEMININE IMAGES FOR GOD

That's in addition to the link I already provided you with. Did you read it?

God is feminine, masculine, both, and neither. There is nothing wrong with referring to Father God as Mother Goddess. One-sided approaches, which overemphasize Gods masculine aspects, need to be balanced out. Or don't you believe in balance?

My reference of 'tip of spear' is referring to being in the front-lines of the battle, at the cutting edge of the important conflict in the final battle for people's souls...take it however you wish

I will.

It's not as if you would consciously realize that you are repressing your inner femininity and identifying with phallic symbols.

You might be interested to know that all of those statements about prayer are written by one woman and they represent about 1 25th of the statements from her about prayer I could use...those statements are also considered to be truth from God from people in my church and not just fluffy suggestions or speculations of the way things are.

So?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DelayedChristmas

Originally posted by jiggerj

Quick question, have you ever believed? Have you ever prayed? If you haven't, how could you tell someone of something you have no personal familiarization with?

Although I believe some of the quotes of JG is a bunch of hap-dash, general justifications and responses of those that do not understand what is going behind the scenes, there are grains of truths in there.

Oh yeah, I used to read the bible all the time. Talked to god when I was alone. Watched all the biblical movies. I even watched them when I no longer believed because they are great works of fiction with gods and angels and magic and miracles. Good stuff as long as no one takes it seriously.

As for prayer - it's the magic rock theory. Convince a child that a rock has special powers and the child will take on more confidence - false belief. Believing that prayer does anything gives one false hope.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Prayer changes the states of the world around us.
reply to post by EnochWasRight

No, it doesn't.

Too many of us have working evidence for this to say it is imaginary.

I'd LOVE to hear the evidence.

If you were to compare this to collapsing wave function in physics,

Wave functions aren't conscious or able to create miracles.

Scientifically, there is solid ground for both the nonlocality of consciousness

No there isn't. Quantum particles could be popping into other parts of this very universe, or even into multiverses. We just don't know, but this in no way implies a consciousness at that level.

Prayer is the mechanism for reflection

Finally! This makes sense. Too bad you're the only person I know that thinks this way. Prayer doesn't force a god into doing anything.

Over and over again, our simple reasoning of the world around us shows the Bible to be true

Why doesn't your simple reasoning show that the bible is a HUGE compilation book? Meaning that it's full of so many different stories that anyone can find a part that relates to daily life. And yet, the parts that NEVER relate to daily life are the miracle parts.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
For your prayer to be heard one must be pure. Ask a muslim.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join