It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

22 veterans commit suicide each day: VA report

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

The answer is obvious.... ban veterans. How can we stand by and see 22 veterans lose their lives each day? For that matter, how can we send soldiers to war and lose thousands upon thousands of lives?

See? The whole issue is not death. It is not small children. It is only total fascistic control of a disarmed populace.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
once again just shows you that human beings are not made for war

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by definity

Ban humans deregulate war

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
after killing so many palestine children they cant find peace and hence they kill themselves.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
after killing so many palestine children they cant find peace and hence they kill themselves.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamatia

This is about US soldiers, not soldiers from isreal....

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

both Us and israeli soldiers kill palestanian muslims everyday

palestanian muslims are innocent and powerful zionist and christians kill them.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
it's sad that so many vets are killing themselves, though one must factor in the obviously high incidences of PTSD amongst combat veterans. and the difficulties of adjusting to civvy street after a warzone. if one adds to that the less - than - exemplary way many vets are received back into society, a higher than normal suicide rate is unfortunately inevitable amongst ex-soldiers.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by RoScoLaz

Add to that the ones that end up drinking themselves into the grave, or pop painkillers like candy, I bet the number is at least double.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

You people really need to be asking WHY!??

IDK, in my OSUT cycle right before we got there a Drill Sergent killed himself. Cav Scout, which sees a lot of combat.

Where I was at, they were doing things like making everyone line up and yelling "nutt to butt" privates (even naked in the showers). I was one of the few that would not do it. They tried to get us to do it every day. Out of 30 there were like 5 of us that would sidestep or make people put their canteens on their nuts so as not to touch our buts. I am not lying about this sh*t it needs to F*cking change. Did I mention the shorts they put you in are small as sh*t? Literally girls shorts. Sh*t strippers would wear. F*cking gay man.

Then they broke their contract with me when my daughter was born and did not let me come home.

Then when my brother got murdered a week later, not only did they not let me come home, they didn't even let me get a cigarette.

F*ck that f*g sh*t. Change that sh*t.

Care more about soldiers and their families. We do not pay them enough, or equip them well enough.
edit on 2-2-2013 by NarrowGate because: (no reason given)

eta: OH yeah and there are a million and one snitches in the Army. Might have something to do with it. Some people are just not resistant to brainwashing. We had people literally calling the drills second fathers. I'm not BSING about any of this.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by definity

Human beings are not made to stand by idly while many in the MB and others oppress the sh*t out of people in other countries.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zamatia
reply to post by TKDRL

both Us and israeli soldiers kill palestanian muslims everyday

palestanian muslims are innocent and powerful zionist and christians kill them.

That zionist catholic church is at it again..... Surprised you didn't say illuminati.

U telling me the Palestinians are innocent? HAH. Yes Christians are powerful, and back Zionists from time to time.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by RoScoLaz

Add to that the ones that end up drinking themselves into the grave, or pop painkillers like candy, I bet the number is at least double.

I know a couple personally that are drinking themselves literally to death.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarrowGate

Human beings are not made to stand by idly while many in the MB and others oppress the sh*t out of people in other countries.

MB?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarrowGate

MB?

Muslim Brotherhood. Not saying Muslims are bad, but such as those in power in Egypt for instance.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoScoLaz
it's sad that so many vets are killing themselves, though one must factor in the obviously high incidences of PTSD amongst combat veterans. and the difficulties of adjusting to civvy street after a warzone. if one adds to that the less - than - exemplary way many vets are received back into society, a higher than normal suicide rate is unfortunately inevitable amongst ex-soldiers.

BS it is not inevitable. gtfo with that nonsense. We need to make changes, plain and simple. PTSD is a factor, but it is MUCH deeper than that.

Actually, you pointed out one of the key things. Treatment upon return is a factor too.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I have/had a friend that was a veteran. He was 70 years old. I saw him on a daily basis. He was healthy and vibrant, yet every week he was at the VA hospital. They had him on all sorts of medication. He had initially gone in for headaches. They apparently cured him of that problem, but nevertheless they insisted on doing test after test for months. I told him he needs to stay away from doctors unless he felt he really needed to see one. On day he told me that they had found a small spot on his small intestines. This was about a month ago. The doctor assured him it was a simple procedure to take care of and no big deal. I told him that if it were me i would not go through with the surgery. That there are alternative diets that should be tried first. His wife talked him out of that and he had the surgery and died Sunday morning. He was the picture of health. Always on the go. Always begging me to give him something to do. I dunno, I just don't trust doctors. That does not mean i don't see a need for them. I just don't trust their judgement/motives a lot of times.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I may be in the dark and I freely admit that.

My experiences with the VA have been positive since day one (before I retired and was still on leave).

My AW2 (Army Wounded Warrior Program) rep calls me at least once a week to check on me. He seems more worried than my family does at times. He carries on a conversation with me, he doesn't just read from a checklist.

My NCM (Nurse Case Manager) from my last unit calls me every so often. I have been retired and she still calls to see how I am and if I need anything.

VA doctors push for soldiers to get counseling if they need it (even if they don't). We have five years after discharge to get free help. Five years doesn't seem like a long time, but in that five years any serious issues are going to be discovered, addressed, and documented. That will lead to a permanent disability and permanent free care.

Yes I have PTSD. Yes I have nightmares. Yes I isolate and avoid people. I have a 90% disability from the VA for brain damage, spinal damage, damage to both shoulders and PTSD. Perhaps that is why I am treated properly when I go in to the VA Hospital.

I would have to see how many of these soldiers that are taking the "easy way" had actually attempted to get help. I could be wrong, but isn't suicide up across the board? Military and civilian?

ETA - I hate showing the "one" situations rather than the "general" situations. I just hear people all the time talking about how much the VA system sucks, only to find out that they have never been. Again, that is 100% personal experience and opinion. I am not trying to say the system is infallible.
edit on 2-2-2013 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
So State's were reporting it used to be 22% of all suicides were Veterans.....down to 20% suicides are veterans now.....

Faulty math. States now have more deaths from illegal immigrants who aren't even Americans. Remove them from the numbers and Veteran Suicide rate = 40%.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarrowGate " BS it is not inevitable. gtfo with that nonsense. "

i stand by my appraisal of the situation. nonsense? i think not.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join