It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The origami-inspirted folding kayak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
This is awesome! I frequently cruise in either my Eclipse 14, or my Jackson Super Hero. As much as I love to kayak, it's cumbersome to tote around. This would make it much easier, even in a bicycle trailer for the back country.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Thats brilliant !!! Good for that guy I hope he reaps the rewards for all his hard work.

It just goes to show what can be done with a good idea and some good ole fashion hard work.
Im a fisherman and kayak fishing has been getting more popular.

I cant wait to see the price tag on one of these .

edit on 1-2-2013 by CitizenJack because: typo

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
SnF OP, this is fantastic! I can't wait to see this in emergency housing for hard hit low income areas throughout the world. Imagine earthquake, flood or hurricane victims having access to instant housing.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
nice idea, they should make a telescopic oar rather than a two piece.

reply to post by Gridrebel

they already do, its called and a tent!

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel
SnF OP, this is fantastic! I can't wait to see this in emergency housing for hard hit low income areas throughout the world. Imagine earthquake, flood or hurricane victims having access to instant housing.

That's brilliant. Unlike cloth or any other woven material, the hard shell would be completely waterproof, from floor to ceiling!
S4U

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by oddnutz

A kayak would be waterproof. Most tents are not. It also looks tough enough to be dropped from the air and still be functional after landing. Maybe with proper tie downs, it would be sturdier than a polyester tent. However, they don't use polyester tents as a rule as far as I know. Winds and rain play havoc to fabric. This might be a better bet! The idea of the orgami technique could be used with even firmer materials. Just a thought.
edit on 1-2-2013 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenJack

Thats brilliant !!! Good for that guy I hope he reaps the rewards for all his hard work.

no rewards for this guy, he has to pay his fair share.

hard work?
ha, this guy has obviously been taking advantage of poor people.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by bjax9er

Originally posted by CitizenJack

no rewards for this guy, he has to pay his fair share.

hard work?
ha, this guy has obviously been taking advantage of poor people.

Your referring to Mr Obama's comment?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
This is awesome.

I shared it with someone who is into origami and kirigami and they were absolutely delighted by it.

I wish funding was more accessible for all the creative-types out there.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

Your ideas are brilliant. I just wish they occurred to more of the "movers and shakers" who actually have the pull to make such a thing happen.

There are problems out there that some of us have never imagined - and innovations that don't get enough attention to become widespread among those who need them most:

The World Bank estimates that 780 million women and children around the world inhale a volume of smoke equivalent to smoking two packets of cigarettes a day – leading to the statistic that 60% of female lung-cancer victims in developing nations are non-smokers. The fumes also cause eye infections and cataracts, while 2.5 million people per year suffer severe burns from kerosene lamps in India alone. It also comes with a huge financial burden: the cost of kerosene for lighting alone can account for 20% of household income.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Now - if we would just value our fellow beings enough that we are willing to pour resources into their welfare without the promise of immediate profit...

top topics

join