It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple sees risk, blocks Java use.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Well thanks to OmegaLogos responding to my thread on chat not functioning properly for me I have found out that Apple has BLOCKED Java use.

To all Apple users who are having Java issues here is a heads up.

I have always had slight Java issues but today it was across the board!

Some Mac users were taken by surprise Thursday as their computers stopped running programs that use the Java programming language after Apple blocked Java due to security problems.

Apple Blocks Java On Macs

Apple blocks Java

This explains ALOT! I have had major problems with my Target registry. I can't even go to Targets website without it spazzing out! I also couldn't get a few sites to load pictures. Other sites have worked fine and worked just fine the other day but since yesterday many of them including the "Chat" feature on ATS have not worked.

AHHHH well. I guess I can thank Apple for looking out for me

Now how to deal with those chat withdrawals..........

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I have the latest version of os x, java & firefox and I just have to click on this to start java.

Guess I'll be using windows in bootcamp if they turn it off on my computer. I do not think the risk is that great for me & Apple should not have the power to decide what people run on their own computer, however can't say that I'm surprised

edit on 1-2-2013 by iamdavid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by iamdavid

When I click on my that icon on my browser it does an update search then tells me I don't have any updates.

Is there a link to something so I can use it?

I will NEVER EVER use Windows again lol. I had Windows for a year via an Acer I needed for school and I wanted to kill that machine! I have always used Apple and I'm one of those fans.

I use Safari as a browser and do not have FF or Chrome and will not install them. I have Mac OS X 10.6.8

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Eventually java and flash will be made obsolete, so I wouldn't be reliant on the developers of these things to fix issues so readily.

I'd be pressing more on web developers to update their code.

But currently, html5 for flash content on youtube is a pox and I would love to put a nail up the nose of the people responsible.

Also note, java is not the same as _javascript.

(interesting, haha the word _javascript has an underscore prepended to it by the forum. haha)

edit on 1-2-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I use Safari as a browser and do not have FF or Chrome and will not install them. I have Mac OS X 10.6.8

The latest Java for OS X update comes with a feature that uninstalls the Apple-provided Java applet plug-in from all web browsers. Don’t worry though, if you need Java, you’ll know it because Safari now provides a “Missing Plug-in” button and a small download button to get it in a second.

NakedSecurity writes that “the only downside is that to acquire the needed applet plugin, you have to install Oracle's Java runtime in parallel with Apple's Java.”

“This leaves you with twice as much Java on your Mac: Apple's latest version of Java SE 6, and Oracle's latest version of Java SE 7. (You can't get an Oracle Java runtime to match the Apple one - Oracle doesn't build a 1.6.0-flavoured Java for OS X because that's seen as Apple's job),” Paul Ducklin of security company Sophos explained.

You're fighting an uphill battle, I'm afraid

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Java just released security update number 13. Supposedly it meets Apple's requirements and should work on your Apple computer. It addresses 44 of the 50 security issues and has been released a full two weeks early to satisfy Apple. There will still be another update on Feb. 19 that addresses the remaining issues as scheduled.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamdavid

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Yay I can use Java again...not that I like Java but I can get into chat now!

Looks like they have made updates and Apple is allowing it to go through. I am updating now.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Java just released security update number 13. Supposedly it meets Apple's requirements and should work on your Apple computer. It addresses 44 of the 50 security issues and has been released a full two weeks early to satisfy Apple. There will still be another update on Feb. 19 that addresses the remaining issues as scheduled.

Thanks. I just saw that when I clicked on my updates and it had one. I hadn't been able to get an update all weekend.

I have a few sites I like that need Java so it sucked I couldn't access them properly.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I have to use Java to download my insulin pump history, so I decided to see if I could get it to work.

Here's what I did for my mac. (10.7.5)

First I went and downloaded the plugin: www.java.com

The I cleared the Java cache, instructions here: www.java.com

Let me know if that helps. (If you want to give it a try)

top topics

join