It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confounding Sequence of Big Quakes Rattle Santa Cruz Islands

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ujustneverknow

PuterMan in Quake Watch 2013 posted 2 graphs on that

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread911913/pg28#pid15869039

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Columbia/LDEO/GCMT Centroid Moment Tensor - 7.9 Mw / 8.0 Ms

www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/mtfull.php?id=303577

www.globalcmt.org/cgi-bin/globalcmt-cgi-bin/CMT4/form?itype=ymd&yr=2013&mo=2&day=6&oyr=1976&omo=1&oday=1&jyr=1976&jday=1&ojyr=1976&ojday=1&otype= nd&nday=1&lmw=0&umw=10&lms=0&ums=10&lmb=0&umb=10&llat=-90&ulat=90&llon=-180&ulon=180&lhd=0&uhd=1000<s=-9999&uts=9999&lpe1=0&upe1=90&lpe2=0&upe2=90&l ist=0

201302060112A SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS

Date: 2013/ 2/ 6 Centroid Time: 1:12:55.0 GMT
Lat= -11.08 Lon= 165.14
Depth= 27.6 Half duration=21.6
Centroid time minus hypocenter time: 28.0
Moment Tensor: Expo=27 5.540 -2.100 -3.440 2.920 -5.990 2.640
Mw = 7.9 mb = 0.0 Ms = 8.0 Scalar Moment = 8.65e+27
Fault plane: strike=314 dip=21 slip=74
Fault plane: strike=151 dip=70 slip=96

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
My post was irrelevant...sorry

edit on 2/6/2013 by howmuch4another because: Just saw which Santa Cruz island we are discussing and feel stupid...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Good job of noticing this before the big quake hit. If you pay attention sometimes you can see something may happen. S&F

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
We need more responses here... That area has been going off the last couple days but especially this morning... From what I gather, there have been multiple 6+ mag EQs only an hour, sometimes less, apart... Very troublesome.

I truly don't believe we have seen the worse of this yet with the 7.9

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by PatriotGames2

I have on my screen, my quakes.globalincidentmap.com, as they update live from around the world. Many 1's in Southern California, and now some, in Alaska. There was a 6 in the Islands again, and then a 5, "61 minutes ago" (from this moment)

The planet is restless. Like, jittery. Will she chill? Or kill?
edit on 6-2-2013 by Eedjee because: #

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Well, after about 4 hours sleep, I am back at it, got the seismos up, and keeping a close eye on this situation. For about the last hour it appears things have been calming on the fault a bit, but that last 6.0 to the northeast extended the rupture area further. This sequence, taken across its entirety, seems to be upsetting all the rules. Quakes are appearing in areas way away from the main shock(?) and with magnitudes that are alarming. I most certainly would not would to be anywhere near that whole area right about now. Hoping for the best, but at this point I am expecting the worst.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I hope if one comes its not to big.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Umm, what's the matter with you people? Would someone please argue with me (politely), and tell me why I am wrong, and that I have overlooked something here, and that no bigger quake will happen?

Sheesh! Don't you dare let TA get away with all this fearmongering.

EDIT: Also, notice in all the news reports, and even in the USGS summary, no mention or warning whatsoever of any patterns developing here, at all. I mean nada, zero, ziltch, nothing.

When in fact there was ample evidence as I have pointed out in the thread. And yet even after the 7.4, or 7.9, or 8.0, whatever they finally settle upon, they are seeing right in there own face that the closest mag is too close to the biggest one.

I mean it couldn't be more clear. But get a scientist to speculate and act upon it? No fricken way, even if it could mean saving untold lives.
And I guarantee you, someone at the USGS is reading this thread right about now, sitting in their cozy little office, and disregarding the whole damn thing. The blood's on your hands, pal, if it happens and that zone gives way.
edit on Wed Feb 6th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Umm, what's the matter with you people? Would someone please argue with me (politely), and tell me why I am wrong, and that I have overlooked something here, and that no bigger quake will happen?

So are you still under the impression we are just waiting for another larger one at this point? That would devastate that area.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

EDIT: Also, notice in all the news reports, and even in the USGS summary, no mention or warning whatsoever of any patterns developing here, at all. I mean nada, zero, ziltch, nothing.

When in fact there was ample evidence as I have pointed out in the thread. And yet even after the 7.4, or 7.9, or 8.0, whatever they finally settle upon, they are seeing right in there own face that the closest mag is too close to the biggest one.

I mean it couldn't be more clear. But get a scientist to speculate and act upon it? No fricken way, even if it could mean saving untold lives.
And I guarantee you, someone at the USGS is reading this thread right about now, sitting in their cozy little office, and disregarding the whole damn thing. The blood's on your hands, pal, if it happens and that zone gives way.

If you want more people to take notice your better off making a post about having some nut jobby type dream about things floating around and a bearded man in your room screaming earthquake.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Just fyi...

Michael van Poppel‏@mpoppel

An earthquake earlier today in the South Pacific, previously reported as a 6.6, has been upgraded to 7.0

which would be this one...

MAP 7.0 2013/02/06 01:54:15 -10.479 165.772 9.8 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 1ibl2ibs

Yeah thanks, I got the notice too of the upgrade.

But what's weird here, especially with that quake, is if you look at the historic seismicity, and look at the typical depth profile of previous quakes there- they've all been way deeper. I'm talking like a 100 km or more deeper.

Fixed Link

That 7.0's depth was only 9.8 km!!! In other words, again, something's fishy here. Why is that quake so shallow, and why are most of the aftershocks so shallow?

And speaking of which, another just hit. This time it looks closer to station... waiting on report...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
And so it begins...

That's trouble... 5.1
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Vanuatu/Fiji in extreme danger at this point? That could be the other part of the intended rupture area. I don't like it, one bit...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

And so it begins...

That's trouble... 5.1
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Vanuatu/Fiji in extreme danger at this point? That could be the other part of the intended rupture area. I don't like it, one bit...

That subduction area has got to be 3-4000 km

Can you imagine what would happen if the whole thing unzipped

9.4 to 9.8

I am with you on this...I called this 8 a day before it happened. The voracity with which these 6's were coming had to be foreshocks.

Some of These aftershocks are way outside the norm when it comes to distance from main epicenter.

I have a bad feeling we are going to see something awful!

Keep feeding us the goods......Good thread!

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Hi TA

I don't think your wrong I think you have not gone far enough. I realise it's a subduction zone but I have this uneasy feeling that with these shallow depths, could we be looking at the formation of a new island in the Pacfic?
Cheers
Ian

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Oh, jeepers!
I just remembered, back in the summer, there was a thread
about some earthquakes in the 9's for Sydney & California,
with a tsunami in both places.

It got my attention because we were going to Sydney in a few months
& had a connecting flight in California!

I forgot all about it until last night when I read the posts here.
All of a sudden it doesn't seem so far fetched!
Not a bunch in the 9's, but something happening
that could cause a domino effect on Sydney & Calif!
WOQ

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Yes, I remember the same thing, some prediction made about an extremely big event, right in that same region.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by wasobservingquietly

Oh, jeepers!
I just remembered, back in the summer, there was a thread
about some earthquakes in the 9's for Sydney & California,
with a tsunami in both places.

It got my attention because we were going to Sydney in a few months
& had a connecting flight in California!

I forgot all about it until last night when I read the posts here.
All of a sudden it doesn't seem so far fetched!
Not a bunch in the 9's, but something happening
that could cause a domino effect on Sydney & Calif!
WOQ

Yeah....that was the whole Mitchel Coombes thread about him predicting earthquakes. I remember that one as well.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
So basically what your saying is these quakes are highly likely to be a build up to something huge that could happen at any minute? Would it affect New York? Im heading out there in 2 weeks

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join