Stone Age tribe kills fishermen who strayed on to island

page: 3
23
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
Leave the Sentinelese people alone, yeh they are as crazy as hell but so what because so is the rest of the world.


I think they should be left alone as well.

On the other hand, a tooth abscess and many other easily treated medical conditions will prove to be fatal to the Sentinelese.




posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
If they were shot and killed with a gun instead of an arrow all havoc would of broke loose....



posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Cool find on google earth.

The ship that wrecked on North Sentinel Island in 1981....


11°35'36.62" N 92°12'44.33" E


On 2 August 1981, the ship Primrose grounded on the North Sentinel Island reef. A few days later, crewmen on the immobile vessel observed that small black men were carrying spears and arrows and building boats on the beach. The captain of the Primrose radioed for an urgent airdrop of firearms so the crew could defend themselves, but did not receive them. Heavy seas kept the islanders away from the ship. After a week, the crew were rescued by an Indian navy helicopter.


en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 2/2/2013 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
Well I guess next time when they are illegally fishing and drinking both against the law.. they will think twice against tresspassing onto some tribes property... Although for them there wont be a next time, but for anyone else.. how about stay off their land and leave them alone..


Because anyone illegally fishing and being drunk, of course, deserves elimination from the face of the Earth....
Please. Just because they are a "Stone Age tribe", it doesn't make them the "noble savages" that the likes of Rousseau and Dryden fantasized about. It makes them ignorant humans, like those elsewhere.
And killing is killing.

Besides, they didn't "trespass". That tribe doesn't OWN the ocean or the island.
But even if they did, unless those fishermen were threating the tribe, there was no need for this and it's inexcusable from a relatively civilized perspective.






edit on 2-2-2013 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)
edit on 2-2-2013 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Technically theyre not ignortant because they dont know any better, this is how they have lived for a very long time. Theyre not connected to regular society, they have their own island and live by THEIR rules. Those men were trespassing, should the tribe have killed them? probably not, but they dont know who the men were and if they were going to scout the island so several more of them(an army) could take the island. you protect your home. they do too. On a side not, how did these guys not realize that this tribe didnt want them there? I guess we will never know because dead men dont talk. It would be funny if they put the guys head's on sticks
edit on 2-2-2013 by dirtybird because: i didnt want the tribe to eat me



posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dirtybird
 


I meant "ignorant humans" in a more existential sense. Fear is what drives them, as it drives all human societies, but the deep root of that fear is ignorance.
What we call "civilization" is, IMO, precisely the building of mechanisms of protection against those same impulses.
The more refined and expanded (and effective) those mechanisms are, the more "civilized" a society is.

So, that's what I meant.
And I don't think they were trespassing - again, that tribe doesn't OWN the ocean or the island - though I am sure the tribe thought they were.

I am just glad that - for all its many, many, many severe shortcomings - the society we live in is not, well, "Stone Age" anymore.




edit on 2-2-2013 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)
edit on 2-2-2013 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
What happened to the boat? Did the tribesman keep it or was it recovered? Just saying....stolen property at that point. Lol!
edit on 2-2-2013 by Meldionne1 because: Spelt wrong



posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Recall the prime directive?

If we intervene in a primitive society it will lead to disastrous consequences for their civilization.

The best course is to just mark this location as dangerous and send out warnings to everyone to stay away.
These people see any incursion as a violent invasion, so be it.

I realize some people think going in and "getting justice" is best, but that is totally unjust as it will lead to their eventual dissolution and degradation.

The only justice here we can possibly get, is to leave them the hell alone.

When they develop technology and can come visit us, than they will be ready to join the rest of the world.



posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
If you bust into someones house, you will probably get shot.

You bust into this island, even accidentally?
Better wear chain mail or plate armor?

It's considered hostile to barge into someones territory.

The killings are probably within the realm of legal action, I am betting.



posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ollncasino

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
Leave the Sentinelese people alone, yeh they are as crazy as hell but so what because so is the rest of the world.


I think they should be left alone as well.

On the other hand, a tooth abscess and many other easily treated medical conditions will prove to be fatal to the Sentinelese.



Not necessarily.

If they have access to local herbs of some sort which act as strong antibiotics than they could in theory buy themselves a reasonable life span extension (on average).

We would have to know their pharmacopoeia before we could make this determination with any real accuracy.



posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexander the Great
 





They didn't even intentionally go onto their island, there was no need for a "defense" But they are to primitive to understand anything. They are murders in the civilized world. They should suffer the consequences in my opinion. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood...


They have every right to defense. The other islands in the chain have been cleared of the tribes by India and Indonesia. They have been deforested and turned in holiday resorts/nature reserves and military bases. The only thing keeping them alive is there hostility to the outside world. Leave them to it.



posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky
 





It's interesting to think that we're all reading this thread and are surrounded by a cacophony of modern noises and accumulated junk. But 'out there' are a people living life like the Sentinelese, rain on the canopies, birdsong and brains empty of the clutter ours are made of.


I really like the sound of that



posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mymymy
reply to post by Kandinsky
 





It's interesting to think that we're all reading this thread and are surrounded by a cacophony of modern noises and accumulated junk. But 'out there' are a people living life like the Sentinelese, rain on the canopies, birdsong and brains empty of the clutter ours are made of.


I really like the sound of that


It sounds great until you actually get there. Sand fleas, lice, nats, rats, just to name a few. I used to island hop on my friends sailboat. They are not the paradises you imagine especially when the sun starts going down.



posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi
 


Ewwwwwwww! ...and I'm now imagining really big spider! I hate spiders.



posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater
 


The Indians did do this. A lot.
Go ask the Chickasaws if they'd rather be living in teepees or have their casinos. Western expansion wad inevitable and they turned out having the better deal. Free health care and high paying jobs.
Don't over romanticize these stoneage animals. They'd eat your children while you slept.



posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ollncasino
 


The northernmost island of Hawaii is also populated by primitive people who get violent when anyone attempts to land on their island also.



posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The only reason why they are getting away with murder is because no one wants to deal with them...their violent behavior has become " ok" and excepted because no one wants to deal with them.it's easier to turn the other cheek .......I feel for the families of the men that's were murdered. They can't have a proper burial according to their own beliefs, and can't have closure .



posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi
 


Well yea lol, but in my mind I'm going to stick with the pristine beaches, beautiful forests and the Disney-esque quality of the local bugs and animals



posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
True, not to mention Seawater is a great healer and cleanser too.

Im surprised at the number of comments from superior people here....you have the same colonial view as the people of the 1600, 1700 and 1800s.

As far as these people were concerned, the fishermen, in a huge boat, were invaders and come to take their land and women. Naturally they were defending themselves.

Had the North and South Americans done the same, things may be different there.
Certainly would have been no sailors returning to Europe with stories of, mountains of gold and women like honey.
edit on 3-2-2013 by gort51 because: (no reason given)
edit on 3-2-2013 by gort51 because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdAstra

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
Well I guess next time when they are illegally fishing and drinking both against the law.. they will think twice against tresspassing onto some tribes property... Although for them there wont be a next time, but for anyone else.. how about stay off their land and leave them alone..


Because anyone illegally fishing and being drunk, of course, deserves elimination from the face of the Earth....
Please. Just because they are a "Stone Age tribe", it doesn't make them the "noble savages" that the likes of Rousseau and Dryden fantasized about. It makes them ignorant humans, like those elsewhere.
And killing is killing.

Besides, they didn't "trespass". That tribe doesn't OWN the ocean or the island.
But even if they did, unless those fishermen were threating the tribe, there was no need for this and it's inexcusable from a relatively civilized perspective.
edit on 2-2-2013 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)
edit on 2-2-2013 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)


Obama could send a drone or two and offer them obamacare





 
23
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join