It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastor to waitress: I GIVE GOD 10% WHY SHOULD I GIVE YOU 18%?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Because they get paid like 2 bucks an hour because they get tips.

So the tips are the only way they can make money.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
"Hey, that's quite a nice meal you have there.... it would be a shame if anything.... happened to it...."

The entire "Tip your waiter/ess" thing is just a protection racket for your food.

You are being extorted out of your money, in order to save the restaurant money on their labor.

The threat that is HEAVILY IMPLIED in American Society, is bodily fluids in the food that you paid for.
edit on 1-2-2013 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

Not just American society. Any society capable of spitting and equally capable of taking offense.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Not just American society. Any society capable of spitting and equally capable of taking offense.

They should just be paid minimum wage.

End of story....

After all, your waiters and waitresses are WORTH being paid minimum wage by their employer, right?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Because they get paid like 2 bucks an hour because they get tips.

So the tips are the only way they can make money.

Not my problem, if theyre willing to take a job for 2 bucks an hour and rely on others to supplement their income thats on them, not me.
If they are going to be so petty and bitter that they would post about it on fb or reddit, maybe they should consider another line of work.
McDonalds hires unskilled laborers all the time and they pay min wage.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

Because people will endure poor attitudes and finicky behavior from people that are going to pay them directly than from people who do not.

The classic example would be dealing with a kid eating spaghetti with his hands. There is going to be a mess to clean up and the patrons are not going to be doing it.

I commonly tip in the 15-20%. I also tip more if I am not bothered by the server engaging in small talk or if the bill is low (just had coffee) or spend time there after eating engaged in conversation with those at the table. I will also tip more if the place isn't busy so the server isn't out as much money.

There is a balance in making the customer comfortable and turning the table over quickly for the next customer. I typically eat alone and don't have to impress anyone with what I leave as a tip. But since I tip well and am recognized as a good tipper, I also tend to have my meal served quickly.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
My bottom line is this:

Don't go out to eat unless you can afford to tip the 25% for the expected level service. Between 30-40% for good service and 50% for excellent service.

Good service is being efficient and engaging without sitting down next to me and asking me my first name - we are not dating and we are not friends... I have come to accept that at some places this is how they actually train the staff, TGIF for one. So I no longer penalize them for it.

Bring me my food when it is hot, keep drinks full, don't bring me my damn meal when I am eating my salad or appetizer, don't bring me the check until we are clearly done - and especially why in the name of god would you bring me my check without up selling desert that is just bad business. Dinner is not a race it’s a social event.

On the flip side of that if I tell you when we sit down that we have an engagement at (insert time here) and you make it so that I can eat, pay the bill and make it – I’ll always tip you extra. I think too often in restaurants today they assume everyone is in a rush to get somewhere all the time. I always declare up front when I must leave if I am on a schedule so the server knows.

I tip 25% unless you really piss me off then I have gone as low as 10%. I never penalize the waitress for the kitchen/bars errors as I see so many people do. I’ve never stiffed anyone – ever.

I have taken recently to a 30% rule as I have noticed where I live now people seem to tip for crap (rural MO) tipping a dollar on a $100.00 meal and it embarrasses me. Especially old people who leave all their change after running a woman ragged for coffee and special requests.

If you are witty, funny, or especially helpful with the menu selections I've gone as high 100% of the bill. Especially, when traveling and trying new things.

However, all that said like the one poster said - when the restaurant assumes or makes the 18% mandatory I make known to the management that they are costing their staff tips from me. Then I usually leave it anyway as it is not the servers fault they have a stupid corporate policy.

I got excellent service in England everywhere I went and just thought they liked Americans at first - later as I made friends and they saw me tipping they pointed out that tipping there was somewhat of an unexpected thing.

People remembered me though and I got great service everywhere I frequented. I never had to ask for a beer or drink in the local pub.

What are those Indian food places with the good hot meat/onion/sauce combo on pita bread that are on every corner are called - I forget? Anyway, I'd get one every night on the way home from the pub. Being drunk of course I'd give the guy a 10 pound note each time. (TDY rate is very good for England) That guy fell all over himself to get my food and remembered what I got and had it ready by the time I got to the counter. I guess he saw me coming.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Between 30-40% for good service and 50% for excellent service

Yea, youre a little out of your mind there..
10% unless shes a really good server and looks dont hurt, then 15%

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

As I said before, if the staff doesn't make money. They quit. If they can't keep workers, the business goes under. As a manager, I have had people cop an attitude of "why should I tip?" a few times. I finally hit upon the easy answer of offering to pay their bill out of my pocket, taking out my wallet for full effect, if they promised to never return again.

Naturally the attitude changed from a caviler arrogance to direct anger. I explained that many customers tip for good meals and good service and would rather have that type of customer occupying the seat and the server's time instead of someone that is going to waste it. So shall I pay for your meal or would you like to be able to eat here again?

They always paid for their meal, threw a couple bucks on the table and left saying they would never return....and they always did in a few weeks or so.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by Golf66

Perhaps, but my Mom was a waitress when I was a kid - my Dad was a drunk. Money was always an issue in our home. My Mom would be really happy when she got a large tip. I saw how hard she worked and appreciated that.

Making a good waiter/waitress smile for the day makes me happy. Hopefully, they will spend it on their kid or their own education so that their kid(s) don't also end up having to wait tables for a living. My Mom sacrificed a great deal to make sure I broke the cycle of uneducated, poor decision making in our family.

Now that I made it and make almost 200K a year so it's my pay it forward thing.

You are free to do as you wish.

ETA: Also, I never tip based on looks – I could care less. Some of the best wait staff are men IMO. Unfortunately many people do tip based on looks and many crap waitresses think they are all that and some sliced ham when all they really have is a nice butt and the ability to bat their eyes and flirt a little for a good tip.

edit on 1/2/2013 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Iive never had any issues with wait staff and have always tipped, hell I tip the pizza guy at least 5 bucks but I do it because I want to and am able to (usually) but I dont like feeling pressured to tip a particular amount, ill tip according to service quality.
Hell, Ive even had non-smoking waitresses bum a smoke from a fellow worker and light it for me..
She got a little extra.

A side note.. Ive read stories of people being arrested for refusing to pay the gratuity part of the tab..
edit on 2/1/2013 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by lupodigubbio

Originally posted by Tardacus
I reckon he was trying to say that if god only gets 10% then who is she to think that she is better than god and deserves 18%.
people like him who worship money give all christians a bad reputation.

yeah, that's probably what he was trying to say but God doesn't get 10%. A human minister does. Sorry, but Christians already have a bad reputation.
edit on 1-2-2013 by lupodigubbio because: (no reason given)

Which tells me he's using "God" for a career, not the true spiritual message that God stands for.
Especially when he demands that she be fired....
What kind of Christian would do such a thing??

Besides, if he's the pastor of the church, it's his parishioners that put 10% tithing into the collection plate not him.
He's the one who gets to decide how to spend it.

I'd be ashamed if I were him...........
I am ashamed for him.........his true colors are clearly showing.
edit on 1-2-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

If they are going to be so petty and bitter that they would post about it on fb or reddit, maybe they should consider another line of work.

The irony of all this I believe wasn't so much the snub of tip percentage but that it was done by a Preacher....
The note that he left on the receipt was what drew the attention.
Some Christian he is........

And it's the parishioners who attend the church that tithe 10%, not the preacher himself.
He's the one that gets to decide what to do with the money that other people put in his collection plate.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Funny thing is, it worked so well people thought I owned the place. I came up with that as a cashier long before becoming a manager. Oddly enough, I was able to get a lot of work out of the people worked there because they knew I would go to bat for them.

But that simple statement places the full weight on the customer of being the bad guy while appearing accommodating. It shames them more than anything and changes their attitude very quickly from being above having to tip to being unworthy of being a customer.

Even had a guy who witnessed it in action offer me a job on his gambling boat after finding out if I came up with that on my own because it was so slick. I declined his offer, figuring it wasn't that great of a job if he needed somebody that manipulate angry people that often. Although I find that I do that for free now.

edit on 1-2-2013 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Although we dont know the entire situation....

Leaving a note like that is idiotic. Then calling back to have her fired when forgiveness, and turn the other cheek is supposed to be your motto is ironic.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Christianity/Catholicism is known for nothing if not it's irony. The kind of irony that makes you laugh at it, not with it.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

I wish more people handled their troubles the way you do.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
I don't begrudge tipping and I tip well for good service. Although I have seen plenty of restaurant menus that say "A gratuity of 18% will be added to parties of 8 or more" I have never seen one that simply adds a tip in, as this one from Appleby's does.

I question that. A tip is of my choosing, not the retaurant's. I can see getting a little bristly over that assumption. Obviously the pastor over-reacted, but I see the basic point here. The restaurant was being presumptuous.

I admit that despite my (pro, favorable) stance on tipping, I also really dislike when a gratuity which should be partially based on quality of service is made mandatory. However, in the case of large parties it's somewhat understandable.

On that note, I'm not sure we got the whole story from the OP, or the linked article.

I did some reading about this, on reddit today. I may be mixing up my facts or stories.... but from what I gathered, it seems like this pastor was actually part of a large party. The number I recall reading was 20 people. I read that they requested separate bills-- probably in an attempt to get around the "automatic 18% gratuity for parties over 8" rule. I hope I was reading / remembering that right, and not mixing it up with some other story. Popular Reddit threads are a bit hard for me to follow sometimes, with the many voices and sub-threadding. Either way, her act was inexcusable, IMO. Especially if the above is accurate....

How disgustingly cheap this woman is. I hope her parishioners find out, and remember how kind she was, when placing their pennies in the basket.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
WHAT!!!

She was fired!! She did nothing wrong! He was the jerk who used "god" as an out to tip her! Sick! He is just pissed that his true colors were shown to the public ONLINE.

His "god" should fire him!

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by Golf66

just an fyi ... 10% tips have been considered an insult since about 1980 ... you might wanna get with the program
... or learn to deal with the crappy service you attract.

ps ... can anyone explain to me how this "consumer" is of the belief that she or anyone has a "right to privacy" in a PUBLIC establishment ??

i hope her affiliate church and congregation scold her in such a way that the public admonishment would have been a welcomed punishment for her cold, bold, BS.
edit on 1-2-2013 by Honor93 because: ps

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join