It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastor to waitress: I GIVE GOD 10% WHY SHOULD I GIVE YOU 18%?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
and did anybody see where the pastor said she was heartbroken the waitress was fired and brought shame and embarrassment to her church? or are not all media outlets reporting that part?

The folks at The Smoking Gun have interviewed the pastor who left the receipt. “My heart is really broken,” she tells the site. “I’ve brought embarrassment to my church and ministry.”

pastor quote

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by undo

You know what? There's all kinds of people and all kinds of truck stops and restaurants. In my 35 years, I never once saw anyone defile a customer's food, except once. That person was reported and stopped before the food went out to the customer.

Just saying, it counts where you eat, and how you treat people, apparently...........

was funny how he told the story. he said the manager's office was in the middle of the kitchen and had windows on all four sides. he was personally called into the manager's office for not keeping his work area clean enough (greasy, debris from hash browns and whatnot). he said, while the manager was reading him the riot act,he could see thru the window behind the manager, those same two cooks chasing each other around the kitchen with ketchup squirt bottles, having a ketchup war. lol he said it was so ironic he burst out laughing, at which point the manager got even more irate, thinking the guy was disrespecting him. lol

restaurant work is not for the faint of heart lol

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
we are just supposed to take the "poor" waitress' side and just believe her? i can't stand people who leave comments like that on tips (used to get em all the time when i was a server), but YOU DON'T POST THEIR CREDIT TRANSACTION+SIGNATURE ONLINE. that is the offense here. you all need to get over the whole "oooohhh this pastor and 'her god' not tipping because servers are entitled" and start taking a look at the reason for her termination.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SkipIntro

I have only read until I gave a start to you new information, but it is appealing that no one pointed out the basic mathematic error behind what was written by the pastor, without getting even deeper on the errors regarding the processing of the money and the distinction about a donation and a gratuity.

I see many pointing to the fact about a it being a Christian but failing to see that the accumulation of errors that I pointed (but left for others to explore in depth) is the main problem of how most people do not perceive the reality they function in and are incapable of having a proper rational thought. The fact that many decided to pick on religion above all the other problems just shows another problem on how most of humans think about subject..

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Hardstepah

yeah it's not good to post people's credit card numbers on a social media site.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by Springer

Servers still get payed min wage.

If they calculate their earnings compared to hours and its doesnt equal min. wage then they get compensated.

The way some people are talking about this argument is dishonest.

Actually.

Minimum Wage

All New Jersey employees who earn hourly wages, including servers, must earn at least $7.25 per hour. However, servers must earn part of their hourly wages through tips. As of May 2011, servers in New Jersey may be paid as little as $2.13 per hour, requiring them to make at least $5.12 per hour in tips. In most cases, employees may keep all tips they receive during their shifts

Read more: Wage & Hour Rules & Regulations for Servers in the State of New Jersey | eHow.com www.ehow.com...

link   
reply to post by Honor93

You are correct.

I personaly tip 20% every time and share all of my concerns, if any, about my food with the server. This is how i try to show my respect for a business and help to increse the quality of the food.

link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by Honor93

the servers must claim a certain percentage of their total sales, whether they earned it or not.

yeah i remember when this originally went into effect in the state i was in at the time i was waiting tables. it was kind of scary. i thought...crud, i could end up having to pay to have the right to wait on people. not that waiting on people is a bad thing, mind you, just not being able to afford waiting on people, is scary lol
edit on 1-2-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)
i too remember when this went into effect in PA ... family had a restaurant/bar/golf course and that first year, we gave away sooooooo much product, but our staff was well rewarded and the tax impact wasn't nearly what the IRS thought it was gonna be

btw, for those who really want to know ... 'mandatory gratuities' DO NOT go to the employee ... those are for the employER ... doubt it ???
read it for yourself (at least in PA anyway)

www.dol.gov...

Service Charges: A compulsory charge for service, for example, 15 percent of the bill, is not a tip. Such charges are part of the employer’s gross receipts. Sums distributed to employees from service charges cannot be counted as tips received, but may be used to satisfy the employer’s minimum wage and overtime obligations under the FLSA. If an employee receives tips in addition to the compulsory service charge, those tips may be considered in determining whether the employee is a tipped employee and in the application of the tip credit.
so, to those complaining about 'tipping' ... at least realize that what you are complaining about in this case and in most 'mandatory' instances ... is NOT really about tipping.

again, this is the IRS, not the restaurant, not management, and certainly not the server or prep staff.
does the server get the 'mandatory gratuity', yes ... is it a tip ? ... no.

link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

someone else did mention that it was incorrect, mathematically. (10 % per year, vs. 18% of 34 dollars is a big difference)
and a few of us responded to it, as well.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

The waitress that got fired wasn't even the one who served the Pastor. She showed it to another waitress and she posted it on reddit, and got fired for violating customer privacy, which was absolutely the correct thing to do in this case.

According to The Consumerist, the receipt was not uploaded to Reddit by the Applebee’s worker who waited on Bell’s party. Instead, the server showed it to waitress Chelsea Welch, who photographed the receipt and later shared it online.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hardstepah
and did anybody see where the pastor said she was heartbroken the waitress was fired and brought shame and embarrassment to her church? or are not all media outlets reporting that part?

The folks at The Smoking Gun have interviewed the pastor who left the receipt. “My heart is really broken,” she tells the site. “I’ve brought embarrassment to my church and ministry.”

pastor quote

I am sure she is sorry at this point but did you read the OP?

Apparently once the receipt hit the Internet, the supposed pastor forgot the Golden Rule of “love thy neighbor” and called the Applebee’s where Chelsea works to demand that she and all management involved be fired.

Yeah she is heartbroken I am sure…pfft … right she is only trying to do damage control after demanding the girl be fired. She is sorry she got caught.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Comments about the poor waitress and the bad pastor aside, I'd be po'd too if a 18% tip were added to my bill. He probably just reacted to the lunacy of the added charge. I think I'm a pretty good tipper, probably better than most, but I want that to be my decision. I would have paid the tip and left, but I wouldn't have gone back.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Wrong. Ill even provide you with a little example.

www.minimum-wage.org...

Amy works in New Jersey as a waitress, and earns over $30 in tips a month. This hour, Amy earned $3.50 in tips. Her employer must pay her a cash wage of at least $3.75, to bring her total earnings for the hour up to the New Jersey minimum wage of $7.25. Annette, who also works as a waitress, earned $10.50 in tips this hour. Because she is already earning at least the minimum wage, her employer can pay her the New Jersey tipped minimum wage of $2.13 for this hour.

What your quoting is the maximum tip credit the business is allowed to deduct from wages which is $5.12 per hour.
edit on 1-2-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Yeah she is heartbroken I am sure…pfft … right she is only trying to do damage control after demanding the girl be fired. She is sorry she got caught.

I don't care how wrong she was, but no one deserves to have their identity blasted all over the internet over a 35 dollar restaurant check. The girl that posted the check deserved to get fired.

I'm surprised she isn't suing Crapplebees.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop

The waitress that got fired wasn't even the one who served the Pastor. She showed it to another waitress and she posted it on reddit, and got fired for violating customer privacy, which was absolutely the correct thing to do in this case.

According to The Consumerist, the receipt was not uploaded to Reddit by the Applebee’s worker who waited on Bell’s party. Instead, the server showed it to waitress Chelsea Welch, who photographed the receipt and later shared it online.

right, and she was fired for POSTING A CUSTOMER'S CREDIT TRANSACTION ON THE INTERNET.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

Originally posted by Hardstepah

pastor quote

I am sure she is sorry at this point but did you read the OP?

Apparently once the receipt hit the Internet, the supposed pastor forgot the Golden Rule of “love thy neighbor” and called the Applebee’s where Chelsea works to demand that she and all management involved be fired.

and isn't it convenient that nobody can actually confirm the pastor called for everybody to be fired? lol we are just supposed to take an emotionally upset waitress' word for it?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I've never worked in the food industry. But I'm disgusted by this idea of "if you don't tip well I'll spit in your food." I get that's the extreme and not really too many people are saying that but still it seems to be a prevalent idea in this topic. Everyone's saying how it's a hard job, but most jobs like this are hard work low reward. I worked retail for years and I've been told before that "I" ruined Christmas. Not Christmas was ruined, but that I ruined it. How come no one tipped me when I was a cashier? I was friendly and made the visit fun and got them out of there as quickly as possible. I made sure your eggs weren't under a jug of bleach. By restaurant rules I should destroy those eggs for the people who are rude to me. Sorry, I believe if you have a job you should do it to the best of you ability. Like I said in a previous post maybe we should tip doctors. I'm more concerned with surgery going right than a spit-filled soda. What if you didn't tip your doctor and he didn't sew up your wounds right? Would you stand for that? I don't believe anyone should ever be under minimum wage but I hate the idea of subsidizing someone else's pay because of stupid loopholes. Having said that I tip very well out of pure guilt. I just ate the idea that no matter what I'm expected to tip.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I'd rather go to the 7/11 and get stale 2 day old buritto, a slimjim and a rotgut 40oz before I ever set foot in Applebee's. They could have handled this better but went with the corporate BS and lost God knows how many customers. Perhaps pastor Bell knows; she seems to have a direct line to the Lord.

edit on 1-2-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
A little late to post, but have you all noticed that there seems to be a tip jar EVERYWHERE!!!

Why am I forced to pay a tip.... 6 people all come in by themselves and they can tip as to the service, but 6 people sit at the same table and it is 18%...what happen to 15% for GOOD service? Now a person takes your order plops the food down and maybe fill your water glass one time and that is 18%. Now it seems tips are added to the bill no matter what.....

At one time a tip was for above and beyond basic service.... Hell I guess I need to tip the person at Burger King for taking my order...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

yeah so ??
she made a mistake (not blacking out the info) and suffered a consequence.

what about the Pastor ???
Chelsea's error certainly doesn't alleviate the gross misrepresentation of the Lady Pastor.

it doesn't erase her inability to do math.
and it doesn't excuse her 'theft' from the establishment either.

mandatory is just that, mandatory and she chose to bypass it with some lame arse excuse that doesn't even apply to the situation.

how can you possibly excuse that behavior ???

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join