It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastor to waitress: I GIVE GOD 10% WHY SHOULD I GIVE YOU 18%?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

You know what? There's all kinds of people and all kinds of truck stops and restaurants. In my 35 years, I never once saw anyone defile a customer's food, except once. That person was reported and stopped before the food went out to the customer.

Just saying, it counts where you eat, and how you treat people, apparently...........

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

That is exactly why I never send my food back to the kitchen. I just write it off as a bad experience and cut my losses there.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hardstepah

Originally posted by dominicus
I'm a Christian and think that pastor is an egotistical and selfish piece of feces.

It sucks what people do in the name of God which turns others off from God.

This idiot should have his/her pastorhood permanently stripped. That waitresses needs to make a living

oh yeah? so do the people at mcdonalds and every other food service industry. you get tips by EARNING them. i don't understand why people have this mentality that your server MUST get tipped. in most states they are paid minimum wage plus tips. they should stfu and be happy they have the +tips part in their pay scale because most people who make minimum wage do not.

Its customary to pay 18% tip. I know single mothers who rely on tips to make a living. If you're a cook or McDonalds cashier or anything other than waiting tables, then that's on you. Waiting tables is open to anyone who goes for it. I can even go do it.

That pastor is an idiot

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Here's a thought...

If you can't afford to tip or, you think it's unreasonable to tip (for whatever reason), then DON'T GO TO A RESTAURANT! Eat at home or hire a caterer.

It astounds me that in 2013 people don't understand that tips are the vast majority of a server's income.

Serving at a restaurant is a sales job, not much different than any other sales job, if you're good you'll make decent money like any other sales person would. If you're not a "people person" you'll likely starve, that's reality.

BUT, if you can afford to eat out PLEASE don't forget to tip the person who made your experience great by getting your food, drinks, and everything else you needed (maybe a high chair, extra napkins for grandma's runny nose, etc...) to your table with a smile. Tip them generously, they've earned it. IMHO.

All that said, if the service is sub par let the server know it by leaving a sub par tip, they need to find another line of work.

Restaurants count on the servers to make the sales, they are commissioned sales people just like a real estate agent or a car salesperson.

Springer...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaydub911
I personally have to agree with most everything Mr. Pink says in Reservoir Dogs. I think it's crap that we tip certain people. I mean why don't we tip the doctor performing open heart surgery? I'm much more concerned with that than how fast my burger gets to me. I just hate the fact that society decides there's certain jobs we must tip for. I get that waitresses make less than minimum wage and that's crap and should be fixed. I don't support that at all but it's stupid that I should have to pick up the slack.

Having said all that I tip very well. I'd say I usually tip between 18-30%, maybe more depending on the context. If I'm out with my friends and only order a beer a two, but take up that waitresses booth for two hours I try to make it up to her and that tip would be a very large percentage of the total bill. Personally I would be outraged if I saw a tip already calculated in. I can understand where the outrage from the pastor is coming from because as someone said earlier tips are now an entitlewiment and not a reward for hard work and doing a little more. I guess for me it's more the principal that I don't like being told to do something more than anything.

How would you like to wait on a large party of 6 or more taking up all or most of your section, busting your butt waiting on people, get under 3 bucks an hour and then that party of 6 or more stiff you (no tip) and very little if any other tips from other tables because the party of 6 or more, took up your section. Think about it if you had to pay a sitter for your children while you wait tables and pay for transportation to work, you end up paying to work.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Servers still get payed min wage.

If they calculate their earnings compared to hours and its doesnt equal min. wage then they get compensated.

The way some people are talking about this argument is dishonest.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Servers still get payed min wage.

No, they don't. This particular Applebees pays 3.50/hr and the rest is based on tips.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33
Tipping is not a right, it is a grade on the level of service, it has nothing to do with what is customary.
If my waiter/waitress is rude and it takes an hour for my food to come, and I see other people food come that were seated after me, come before mine. Not getting a dime. That is very, very rare I can't remember when it happened last, so I always tip, if they are awesome I give bigger tips. If they treat me poorly they are going to get less. For example free refills on a drink, but for 45 minutes they can't be seen to even get a refill, that is going to cost the server come tip time.

As for this pastor, just a rude excuse to be cheap, better to have said nothing and adjusted the 18% to 10% and call it day.

The waitstaff does not cook your food. It is not their fault if the chef/cook takes too long getting the food to the server. Likewise, if the server has to wait for the bartender to get the refills and drinks it is not the servers fault. Take up with the manager what is not the waitstaff's fault. You will get better service all around if the cooks and management who get the same pay even when they screw up, and the waitstaff gets screwed over twice, 2.37 per hour still have to tip out the bussers and the customer stiffs them.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

If you understood the law you would realize that if their earnings compared to hours does not equal minimum wage then they have the right to bring this to the attention of the management and be compensated.

If you want to argue id suggest you look it up first. Then come back here and tell me im right
edit on 1-2-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
My personal opinion is that most religious organizations, such as Westboro Babtist, etc, should be revoked of tax exempt status. The IRS should not exist, either. Having Religious Freedom is ok, being greedy and evil is not.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by Springer

edit on 1-2-2013 by hypattia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JackofBlades

You're still being paid by the hour so what difference does it make?
because if you'd work for

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

If you understood the law you would realize that if their earnings compared to hours does not equal minimum wage then they have the right to bring this to the attention of the management and be compensated.

If you want to argue id suggest you look it up first. Then come back here and tell me im right

It depends on what state you are talking about. And even then, I still don't think you are correct. Care to post a link?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
This is pretty funny. I was just thinking about this topic a few hours ago. and I was also just now about to watch Reservoir Dogs.

Seriously though, think about why you are paying tips....
It's because the greedy corporations, i.e. Applebees, have created a system where they pay their employees little, overcharge you for food, then demand you pay their employees for them.

It's a corporate money making scheme(in most cases) and society has fallen for it hook,line, and sinker.

I mean wtf, why give every waitress 18%? Why not at the very least give them what they deserve for the effort they put it.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

the servers must claim a certain percentage of their total sales, whether they earned it or not.

yeah i remember when this originally went into effect in the state i was in at the time i was waiting tables. it was kind of scary. i thought...crud, i could end up having to pay to have the right to wait on people. not that waiting on people is a bad thing, mind you, just not being able to afford waiting on people, is scary lol
edit on 1-2-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by hypattia

Actually I have eaten close enough to the kitchen in enough restaurants to hear the interactions between the prep team and the server. The server if they are good, is like your ambassador to the prep team and have a strong level of engagement with them. Then again those that have a "Meh" attitude never say a word to them. Guess who is going to get a larger tip from me, especially when I hear they did their very best to get me my food ASAP.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by Zarniwoop

edit on 1-2-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)
yes, this is true, to a point.
however, it is still a buyer beware environment and if you are 'basement-bargain shopping', you should expect 'basement-bargain service' and that's about all i have to say about that.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

I guess when u make under 3 bucks an hour, it can get pretty cutthroat, so how is that a fair system? Nothing like having to kiss up to the cook.... whatever, nothing in life is fair.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Here is a link to an interview where she talks about giving a sermon on forgiveness. She talking about herself being forgiven but she sure didn’t forgive the girl she got fired.

People like her disgust me. If she was really about forgiveness she would be asking management to give the waitress her job back but instead she plays the victim. She is nothing but a hypocrite at best talking about forgiveness. It doesn’t surprise me she is a pastor at all.

She playing the religion card and on top of it she lies and says she didn’t try to get the girl fired the report states she wanted the entire staff fired.

www.worldstarhiphop.com...

The pastor got called out on her BS and now she playing the pity card.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Here's a thought...

If you can't afford to tip or, you think it's unreasonable to tip (for whatever reason), then DON'T GO TO A RESTAURANT! Eat at home or hire a caterer.

It astounds me that in 2013 people don't understand that tips are the vast majority of a server's income.

Serving at a restaurant is a sales job, not much different than any other sales job, if you're good you'll make decent money like any other sales person would. If you're not a "people person" you'll likely starve, that's reality.

BUT, if you can afford to eat out PLEASE don't forget to tip the person who made your experience great by getting your food, drinks, and everything else you needed (maybe a high chair, extra napkins for grandma's runny nose, etc...) to your table with a smile. Tip them generously, they've earned it. IMHO.

All that said, if the service is sub par let the server know it by leaving a sub par tip, they need to find another line of work.

Restaurants count on the servers to make the sales, they are commissioned sales people just like a real estate agent or a car salesperson.

Springer...

so i shouldn't go out if i don't tip the waitress that fills my glass once and just smiles at me? please. the tip is EARNED. if the server just brings my food to me, what makes them different from the fast food servers who bring my food to me? if their service is poor they get no tip. if they do a great job they get a great tip. why should i give them anything if they didn't perform their job well? they are getting paid anyway. the whole point of tips is to give incentive to give quality service.

by no means am i against tipping. i am however against tipping when i see my food sitting in the hand off station for 10 minutes and see the server flirting with a customer or other employe. if they do good and my check is say.....$40 or so, they get a nice $10 extra.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join