Are divorced Christians condemned to hell?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by stupid girl

Holding affirmation in the divinity of the Bible IS the claim to know the mind of God.

Rubbish. All that is claimed is that the text is held to be sacred, and is believed to be, in some mysterious way - at least in its greater part - OF the Mind of God; a guidebook of sorts, a how-to manual, with a roadmap to relationship attached. How belief in the divine origin of some written words is supposed to 'legally' constitute a claim to knowledge of the totality of the Infinite Mind of the Highest Person we like to call 'God', well - it baffles me.

I read Tolkien, but I would still like to have been able to meet him in person, because I couldn't possibly know everything there was to know about him simply by reading his books.

''Call out to me, and I will answer you, and show you great and wondrous things, of which you were not aware - treasures hidden in secret places...''

Jer. 33 v. 3

It might be worth reconsidering the amount of pomp & triumph that taints the tone of your posts - you're not quite as savvy as you make out. You dismiss summarily all opinions based upon what is written in the collection of books we know as The Bible, when espoused by persons holding it to be ''God's word''. And yet, it underpins all of Western civilisation, and has a history that is literally mind-blowing. Few people can research properly without being utterly staggered, for example when faced with the complexities of its 'patchwork' archaeological origins - in spite of which retaining the consistency of its message (additionally, in the face of overwhelming odds favoring its absolute loss from the face of the earth, at multiple times down the centuries..)

Get off your high horse, and stop thinking it's virtuous to attempt a take-down of people's cherished beliefs. You don't understand it at all, and yet you argue against it all.

Confused? You probably will be.

edit on 3-2-2013 by FlyInTheOintment because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
It depends on the reason for the divorce.

The only Biblical reason for divorce is if there has been fornication. A person who gets divorced for that reason can then get married to another.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by truejew

The only Biblical reason for divorce is if there has been fornication. A person who gets divorced for that reason can then get married to another.

Correct. And the Scriptures also say that it is not good for man to be alone, and it's better for a person to marry than to burn with lust as Paul said. Likewise goes for divorced people. It's not good for them to be alone" and it's better they remarry so they don't burn with lust and sin in other areas of their lives.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by truejew

Jesus also says so in the New Testament, however by my King James Bible it says that divorce is only an option if the woman fornicates and commits adultery. Anyone who marries her also commits adultery (or has a lifestyle of adultery).

I find this rather sexist and unequal.

However, I've been watching all these popular programs on the Roma or gypsy subculture, and somehow that inequality all starts to make sense.

The man can have affairs, but not the women (or there's a massive fine and possibly other consequences).
They can have affairs with non-gypsies, but Roma women are sacrosanct.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Correct. And the Scriptures also say that it is not good for man to be alone, and it's better for a person to marry than to burn with lust as Paul said. Likewise goes for divorced people. It's not good for them to be alone" and it's better they remarry so they don't burn with lust and sin in other areas of their lives.

Paul actually says that is better for the unmarried and widows to remain unmarried, but if the person can't handle it without sinning, it is better to marry.

Not many can handle remaining unmarried though. Not to turn this into a thread about the Catholic Church, but their rule of no priest can marry is the cause of some problems. The question of to marry or not marry should be a personal choice not one forced on someone.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by truejew

Jesus also says so in the New Testament, however by my King James Bible it says that divorce is only an option if the woman fornicates and commits adultery. Anyone who marries her also commits adultery (or has a lifestyle of adultery).

I find this rather sexist and unequal.

However, I've been watching all these popular programs on the Roma or gypsy subculture, and somehow that inequality all starts to make sense.

The man can have affairs, but not the women (or there's a massive fine and possibly other consequences).
They can have affairs with non-gypsies, but Roma women are sacrosanct.

Jesus was responding to the Pharisees, all men, who asked, "Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?".

Jesus was not asked about a woman to put away her husband. He was not being sexist and unequal. Sin is sin whether done by man or woman.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by truejew

Was it a sin for Abram to sleep with Hagar (essentially a maid)?

I'm just wondering because I don't see that gender egalitarianism anywhere really.

edit on 4-2-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by stupid girl
What is the Bible but a description of God's mind. A representation of 'his' thoughts and wishes and judgements..

Thus the Bible is just as you described-- His revelation of His personal thoughts, wishes and judgment.

Like these short but telling links show?

www.youtube.com...

As to the overall morality of the bible.

www.youtube.com...

Regards
DL

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   

I guess you forgot, I don't do YouTube.

True. You cannot take the truth.

If you think God would have those with your morals in heaven, you should think again.

Regards
DL

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   

No argument.

That means that an abuse mate must stay married. Is that a moral policy in your view?

Do you think the children are well served if they have to stay in a loveless family?

Regards
DL

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Loveless sex. Yummy.

Quite a good example for children that. Not.

Absurd.

Regards
DL

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

reply to post by truejew

I'm just wondering because I don't see that gender egalitarianism anywhere really.

edit on 4-2-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

You just do not understand the Christian way of thinking.
Enjoy my friend.

www.youtube.com...

Regards
DL

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

reply to post by truejew

Yes.

It was.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Prezbo369

To God, this was despicable character worthy of removing from influencing others to do same.

Whereas in Hitler's case....

Well, feel free to discuss your criticisms with God.

Just pointing out another massive plot hole in this tale.....

But I guess certain genres do require a suspension of disbelief, such as fantasy or horror.

edit on 4-2-2013 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greatest I am

I guess you forgot, I don't do YouTube.

True. You cannot take the truth.

If you think God would have those with your morals in heaven, you should think again.

Regards
DL

LMAO...yeah because if you saw it on YouTube it must be true.
LOLOL....if I need to post a video for a song or a clip from a movie, then I will on occasion go to YouTube. Other than that, I prefer not to even go there.

If the truth you have to share with me is so profound as to stomp a mudhole in my mouth, then surely you can type it? Surely it can be articulated into the dying art of written communication?
Surely something that you feel so deeply can be expressed in your own words and not robbed from some random YouTube clip?

And I hate to break it to you, but I'm really not all that concerned about your personal judgment of my morality. However, I find it amusing and ironic that you feel entitled to levy armchair insults in that regard.
And from what I understand, forgiveness is eternal life, not morals. You are not rewarded eternal life for being 'good', since what seems good and right to men is subjective. What I consider 'good' and what someone from another culture considers 'good' can greatly differ.
Besides that, men are incapable of living their entire lives without making mistakes. So, no one is truly wholly 'good', regardless of their personal standard.
Therefore, the universal standard for all men to have equal access to eternal life is forgiveness. Morals will shape themselves as a person endeavors toward Christ and His teachings.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

What is the Bible but a description of God's mind. A representation of 'his' thoughts and wishes and judgements..

Thus the Bible is just as you described-- His revelation of His personal thoughts, wishes and judgment.

Like these short but telling links show?

www.youtube.com...

As to the overall morality of the bible.

www.youtube.com...

Regards
DL

You misquoted me.
And I'm not spending half my day surfing YouTube videos. If I wanted to watch YouTube, I'd be on YouTube, not ATS.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

[
Therefore, the universal standard for all men to have equal access to eternal life is forgiveness. Morals will shape themselves as a person endeavors toward Christ and His teachings.

Do you see Christ as trying to profit from human sacrifice and the punishing of the innocent instead of the guilty the way you are trying to do?

Regards
DL

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

[

Do you see Christ as trying to profit from human sacrifice and the punishing of the innocent instead of the guilty the way you are trying to do?

Regards
DL

This question is too absurd for me to even take a guess at what you could possibly be suggesting.
I have no idea what you are trying, and failing, to ask me. However, please feel free to re-word it and try again

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I have no more time for a stupid girl.

Regards
DL

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I have no more time for a stupid girl.

Regards
DL

Je suis désolé de vous frustrer mon chouchou
....stupid girls such as myself come to forums for articulate discussion, not to argue with YouTube.
I will leave your thread since I realize that my participation in them only robs you of your thrill.
Continuez sans moi.....

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join