It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are divorced Christians condemned to hell?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

One of God’s main rules is on divorce and his policy is ---- let no man put asunder.
bibleapps.com...

IOW, there are no excuses for divorce and it is a sin to do it.

This view is enforced by Jesus and he chastised Moses for adding terms for divorce.

Divorced Christians, ---- statistics show up to 60% of all Christians, ---- are thus living in sin and I wondered if Christians thought that they were condemned because of their choice to divorce.

If you are a divorced Christian, do you think God’s policy just and if not, why do you remain a condemned Christian?

Regards
DL

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
" If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

1 John 1:9

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Yes, they are.....

You are not even supposed to think about another partner or else you have committed adultery.

Next Question?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Christianity is the ultimate 'do-over'. Kill, rape, take a god's name in vain, whatever. All ya gotta do is say you're sorry and you'll never do it again and you get a reboot.

And yet they think that atheists are immoral.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

Gotta respect that all-knowing, all-loving god that loves to judge his followers and sentence them to hell.

Let's put this in perspective.

All-knowing: god knew before you were born that you would marry an abusive alcoholic husband who beats, rapes, and cheats on his wife on a weekly basis. God knew this, and let it happen... Seems all-loving to me.

And even though he knew all of this was going to happen, he still allowed it to happen, and worse, knew before you were born, you would be sent to hell for leaving said husband.

Where's the free-will in that?

If everything is happen according to his plan, and we are powerless to change that plan (a la, "his will be done"), how can you say anyone has free-will?

Religion is such a joke...

Gotta give the weak-minded something to believe in, I guess.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greatest I am

One of God’s main rules is on divorce and his policy is ---- let no man put asunder.
bibleapps.com...

This view is enforced by Jesus and he chastised Moses for adding terms for divorce.

Divorced Christians, ---- statistics show up to 60% of all Christians, ---- are thus living in sin and I wondered if Christians thought that they were condemned because of their choice to divorce.

If you are a divorced Christian, do you think God’s policy just and if not, why do you remain a condemned Christian?

Regards
DL
First we can be forgiven any sin if we repent and ask the Lord to forgive us. The blood of Jesus is sufficient for any and all sins we commit. Second, divorce is permitted in at least 2 instances, and maybe more these two just come immediately to mind. 1) Unfaithful partner. If your partner commits adultery, you are permitted to divorce.

Mathew 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

2) Married to a non-believer.
2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
" If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

I see.

So you, if you are divorced, can knowingly live in sin for years and years and on your death bed ask for forgiveness ---- even as you know you do not repent, or you would have stopped your ways years in the past, ---- and God will forgive you.

How droll.
Again, you do my work of discrediting Christianity for me.

Regards
DL

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire
Christianity is the ultimate 'do-over'. Kill, rape, take a god's name in vain, whatever. All ya gotta do is say you're sorry and you'll never do it again and you get a reboot.

You're forgetting repentance which is a prerequisite for forgiveness.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

bibleapps.com...

Regards
DL

First off, no burning in hell.

Second off, it is not a command to not divorce and it is not a sin to divorce according to Judaic texts. Moses's stance, which the Pharisees did not interpret correctly, did not promote divorce. He was controlling it. Jesus exhorts people not to divorce, but if it is to happen, let divorce happen only when there's "sexual immortality," which apparently is a really broad Greek term. There's a difference between command, which is to stay with your other if you are married, and allowance if a situation occurs.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreLiedTo

All-knowing: god knew before you were born that you would marry an abusive alcoholic husband who beats, rapes, and cheats on his wife on a weekly basis. God knew this, and let it happen... Seems all-loving to me.

And even though he knew all of this was going to happen, he still allowed it to happen, and worse, knew before you were born, you would be sent to hell for leaving said husband.

He lets us choose how to live even knowing we will make bad choices. He knows we will make mistakes and offers us redemption. It is our choice whether or not to accept it. That is free will by definition.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
Yes, they are.....

You are not even supposed to think about another partner or else you have committed adultery.

Next Question?

I guess that statistically speaking, that is why most Christians will be like Kenny.

www.youtube.com...

Regards
DL

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I see.

So you, if you are divorced, can knowingly live in sin for years and years and on your death bed ask for forgiveness ---- even as you know you do not repent, or you would have stopped your ways years in the past, ---- and God will forgive you.

How droll.

Regards
DL

God forgives when we confess and repent. There isn't much else to say about that.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I see.

How droll.

Regards
DL
NO. If you know that you do not repent, you will not be forgiven. Repentance is is required. If you truly repent, even on your death bed, then I believe you will be forgiven. God is not a fool. If you are insincere, he will know. That whole "omniscience" thing works against you there.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire

Now now. That is only because atheist just do not understand that Christians are allowed to have double standards.

www.youtube.com...

Forgive them. They know not what they do.

Regards
DL

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
You are forgiven as long as you believe in Jesus and repent for your sins. At least, that's how I've always understood it.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreLiedTo

Gotta respect that all-knowing, all-loving god that loves to judge his followers and sentence them to hell.

Let's put this in perspective.

Where's the free-will in that?

If everything is happen according to his plan, and we are powerless to change that plan (a la, "his will be done"), how can you say anyone has free-will?

Religion is such a joke...

Gotta give the weak-minded something to believe in, I guess.

You seem to think that God favors evil.
I agree.
Yours is a good way of administering tough love and I wish I could back mine off to yours.

www.youtube.com...

Regards
DL

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Religion itself is a damnable offense in my opinion. It goes directly against what Christ and other spiritual leaders have always taught. It divides people, it breeds violence, greed, all the sins that "God" is supposedly against.

Matthew 6:5
"When you pray, don't be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get."

Mathew 6:6
"But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

But I digress. The bible does speaks poorly of women who wish to leave their husbands (woman bashing is what the bible does well
), but says nothing about divorce, which is a mutual agreement to end a marriage. Besides, I don't think God is as petty as people paint him. He's probably pretty apathetic to the relationships of his creations.

Religion aside; seeing that marriage began as a contract between families, not two people, I should say that divorce is fine. People break contracts all the time. Usually there is a fine for breaking a contract; in the instance of marriage, that fine is usually 50% of your $h!t.

edit on 1-2-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Also, Matthew 12:31

31 “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

bibleapps.com...

Regards
DL
First we can be forgiven any sin if we repent and ask the Lord to forgive us. The blood of Jesus is sufficient for any and all sins we commit. Second, divorce is permitted in at least 2 instances, and maybe more these two just come immediately to mind. 1) Unfaithful partner. If your partner commits adultery, you are permitted to divorce.

Mathew 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

2) Married to a non-believer.
2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Let me reprint this for starters.

I have no argument against your other accurate information but would just point out that Jesus nor God agreed with Moses as that link clearly shows. Man was following his hard heart as Jesus said and he was trying to correct them.

Do you read that differently or do you think God changed his mind?

Regards
DL
edit on 1-2-2013 by Greatest I am because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DelayedChristmas

bibleapps.com...

Regards
DL

First off, no burning in hell.

Second off, it is not a command to not divorce and it is not a sin to divorce according to Judaic texts. Moses's stance, which the Pharisees did not interpret correctly, did not promote divorce. He was controlling it. Jesus exhorts people not to divorce, but if it is to happen, let divorce happen only when there's "sexual immortality," which apparently is a really broad Greek term. There's a difference between command, which is to stay with your other if you are married, and allowance if a situation occurs.

Yet --- "Whoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, commits adultery against her. 12And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she commits adultery. "

This indicates that to remarry brings condemnation.

Is that how you read it and if so, is it a just policy?

Regards
DL

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join