It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Top 10 myths surrounding NASA's Columbia space shuttle disaster"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Here's what I've just published:

Top 10 myths surrounding NASA's Columbia space shuttle disaster
By James Oberg, NBC News Space Analyst
Feb 1, 2013 // 9:13 AM EST
science.nbcnews.com...

Ten years later, Columbia's tragic loss serves as a warning to NASA
By James Oberg, NBC News Space Analyst
Feb 1, 2013 // 9:10 AM EST
science.nbcnews.com...

and see also a spot-on story about the 'Wayne Hale controversy' from Associated Press
www.kansascity.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up Jim. Glad to see you back here, you've been gone a while.
I will check out your links now. I just wanted to say welcome back first.

eta Just finished the articles and must say that you did a fine job (again) in reporting.
It is hopeful to think that when NASA decides to revamp the space program, they will be as vigilant with safety as was the case in the early days. Deadlines and dollars shouldn't replace common sense.
edit on 1/2/13 by shadow watcher because: the cheese stands alone

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
In the Conspiracy realm I call this Damage control or sheep herding...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

Thanks for turning on the lights in the room maybe it will illuminate some.... but I really think they're not going to give up number 10 (Haarp) no matter what we try to say.

Who are the real sheep? Works both ways.

edit on 1-2-2013 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Here's another one for you:

Prior to the last words heard from Columbia: "Roger, uh, bu...", the pilot said something that was interpreted by NASA as "and, uh, Hou..." - a fairly pointless phrase because it was isolated.

In fact, if you listen to the audio, he's fairly clearly saying "Feeling the heat", referring to the Shuttle's control systems strugging with the unusual situation.

Read more (and listen) here: (MOD EDIT: Links are dead and now forward to an inappropriate Site)

Watch this reconstruction of the disaster: (MOD EDIT: Links are dead and now forward to an inappropriate Site)
edit on 1-2-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/7/17 by FredT because: (MOD EDIT: Links are dead and now forward to an inappropriate Site)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

rense.com...

The smoking gun evidence came to my desk in the form of photos from a Western intelligence service, which had intercepted satellite images from three Israeli mini-satellites (each smaller than a basketball). The observation satellites had earlier been launched from the Columbia to record the laser gun’s effectiveness. The series of color images clearly showed that NASA lied about the Columbia catching fire below its left wing. The only heat from the left wing came momentarily from the laser gun, and not from friction during re-entry.

For those who do not believe in HAARP and all the bullcrap of the IMF and the bogus "military" arm of the corporate "U.S." I think this goes a long way to explaining so many things!!

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddio

rense.com...

The smoking gun evidence came to my desk in the form of photos from a Western intelligence service, which had intercepted satellite images from three Israeli mini-satellites (each smaller than a basketball). The observation satellites had earlier been launched from the Columbia to record the laser gun’s effectiveness. The series of color images clearly showed that NASA lied about the Columbia catching fire below its left wing. The only heat from the left wing came momentarily from the laser gun, and not from friction during re-entry.

For those who do not believe in HAARP and all the bullcrap of the IMF and the bogus "military" arm of the corporate "U.S." I think this goes a long way to explaining so many things!!

Sure -- invisible satellites for an invisible gun for an invisible mission -- plenty of evidence.

You know, using the coffins of brave spaceflight victims as soapboxes for crackpot agendas is more than a little, uh, un-nice.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by daddio

The smoking gun evidence came to my desk in the form of photos from a Western intelligence service

And where might these photos be?

Didn't see them in your link...

ETA: Surely its not the photo at the top of the article??

That's from a movie!

edit on 2/2/13 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Keep believing the bull#, just like Sandy hook was real. Why can't you people get a grip on reality, did none of the other things happen, the water spouts? Yes, I saw the reports on them. HAARP, yes it does exist and does work, Tesla had a working model, could have split the world in half had he had enough power to run it. It is a sad day when doubt and BS rule the day. Having worked in physics and currently in metalurgy, the small piece of insulation that was missing, or ALLEGED to be missing, would not have caused the disaster. There is so much more info out there, but lets keep perpetrating the lies shall we. How about doing some real investigations instead of eating all the BS the government feeds you people.Yes I looked into more than just this one article. I do have friends who have worked in Houston at NASA and I have worked with/on some NASA parts for the shuttle program. So I do know a bit about the construction and the dynamics of it. Small minds will never grow with BS as fertilizer, it only works on the crops in the dirt fields.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Good articles, Jim.

Why can't you people get a grip on reality, did none of the other things happen, the water spouts?
The way I usually determine who has the best grip on reality, is by seeing who presents the most verifiable evidence to support their claims.

Right now, that doesn't seem to be you.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Interesting 'anecdote' (for lack of a better word) about this terrible disaster - in 2003 one of my partner's best friends was completing her training as a forensic pathologist. She had been contracted by the British government, but - as is common - was sent to America to train with the FBI.

Anyhow, during this training the Columbia disaster occured and she was invited to view the remains of some of the astronauts who sadly lost their lives. In one case, the body was left almost untouched - aside from a perfectly semi-circular, perfectly cauterised piece taken from the abdomen. She'd never seen anything like it, even if her medical textbooks.

Just goes to show how dangerous space exploration can be. Those poor people.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Keep believing the bull#, just like Sandy hook was real. Why can't you people get a grip on reality, did none of the other things happen, the water spouts? Yes, I saw the reports on them. HAARP, yes it does exist and does work, Tesla had a working model, could have split the world in half had he had enough power to run it. It is a sad day when doubt and BS rule the day. Having worked in physics and currently in metalurgy, .....

I'm not a grammar or spelling nazi, and cut a lot of slack for typos and misspellings that just don't matter, but when you claim to be working in a specialization, it REALLY diminishes your cred when you can't spell it right.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: KingIcarus

How is that even possible? it was almost completely disintegrated.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColinForReal
a reply to: KingIcarus

How is that even possible? it was almost completely disintegrated.

Yeah, I do not think that person was correct.

They depressurized at 200thousand feet...from that alone the bodies would not of looked very nice, and then the violent disintegration during reentry (mach 20?), it tore the cabin into tinier pieces...I'm not sure if those bodies (pieces) looked very good.

I remember a photo of a Soviet cosmonaut who died during reentry...it was not nice, as in it was a lump of burnt meat like a roast beef left in the oven at high heat hours longer then it should be.

After cabin disintegration, the astronauts' bodies were released into the upper atmosphere and battered by extreme aerodynamic forces (close to 14,000 MPH) and temperatures. The remains of the crew then fell some 200,000 feet to earth, where they were also subjected to burning from aerodynamic heating. The official NASA report omitted some of the more graphic details on the recovery of the remains, however witnesses reported various gruesome finds such as a human heart and parts of femur bones.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 6-10-2017 by MuonToGluon because: Added + Fixed 100thousand > 200thousand

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Komarov was killed on impact with the ground, at which point the H2O2 fuel tank exploded and incinerated his already dismembered body. Other charcoaled body parts were scattered around the crash site and were recovered one by one as time passed, even after the funeral.

The Columbia crew cabin was torn from the nose of the Orbiter and descended essentially in one piece, tumbling violently and killing most crewmen by blunt force trauma against walls and equipment [although one lived long enough to die by asphyxiation]. It finally collapsed from major G-forces I the lower atmosphere and its pieces -- and those of the crew bodies -- came to ground in a relatively small area. Recovery forces found them relatively quickly, following the crows.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ColinForReal

If you want the real story, I suggest reading "Loss of Signal: Aeromedical Lessons Learned from the STS-107 Columbia Space Shuttle Mishap" (NASA SP-2014-616). This book provides an account of the aeromedical aspects of the Columbia accident and the investigation that followed including the response, recovery, identification, investigative studies, medical and legal forensic analysis. The authors also suggest preparations needed to respond to potential spacecraft mishaps and improve procedures and vehicle designs for the safety of future crews. I was part of the editorial board for this volume and can recommend it highly.

You can find it here for free:
www.asma.org...

new topics

top topics

join