It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armed Police Officer Stops School Shooting in Georgia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I guess guns aren't so bad. Armed security guards and metal detectors at school are a good thing. Even though people ridiculed it when this was suggested when people like Obama and David Gregory sends their kids to schools that have armed guards to the teeth.
www.theblaze.com...

A student opened fire at his middle school Thursday afternoon, wounding a 14-year-old in the neck before an armed officer working at the school was able to get the gun away, police said.

Multiple shots were fired in the courtyard of Price Middle School just south of downtown around 1:50 p.m. and the one boy was hit, Atlanta Police Chief George Turner said. In the aftermath, a teacher received minor cuts, he said.

The wounded boy was taken "alert, conscious and breathing" to Grady Memorial Hospital, said police spokesman Carlos Campos. He was expected to be released Thursday night.

This just goes to leadership. Instead of ridiculing the NRA and Republicans who support armed guards at school, the President should have came out and said this is a good idea and tried to find common ground between them. Instead he's playing Politics. Blaming the NRA and Republicans and pushing "gun control"

Do a compromise of Background Checks and armed guards at schools. Even hire some ex military to patrol schools. This will give some of them a job when they leave the Military because they can't find one in this economy.

At the end of the day, reducing gun violence has to be aimed at gangs not the 2nd Amendment.
edit on 1-2-2013 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Feb 1 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: SOURCE ADDED IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by neoholographic
I guess guns aren't so bad.

Wait a sec, what was the cause of the problem in the first place?

Edit:

Ok, it's evident that I'm going to get a lot of mindless "guns don't kill people, people kill people" replies. So I'll quote myself explaining why people blame guns.

People blame guns for a very good reason that is always misunderstood. Suppose you had to do something that required a lot of time and effort, you have the option to do it that way or use a tool that will get the job done quickly and effortlessly. Which would you choose? Suppose this job is killing someone. Now on top of time and effort imagine mess, the risk of you getting injured or killed, the risk of getting caught, the risk of being seen and so on. A tool, a gun, can eradicate or drastically reduce these downsides. That acts as a motivator, and that's why so many people choose to use a gun, a lot of people wouldn't bother with the first way.

This is what people mean when they say guns are to blame, and that's why "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is a stupid argument.

This especially applies to mass shootings.

So don't bother trying to be smart with "did the gun go to school to shoot people?" style replies.
edit on 1-2-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Probably a mentally disturbed individual.

link   
"Armed" Police Officer....

I'd be worried if he WASN'T armed.

Also, there is an existing thread about this shooting. Here

link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Yes but,
#1 you are never going to get rid of them
#2 so you are just going to have to deal with it.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Background checks for presidential candidates.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by shivaX
Barack 'Hussein' Obama pushing for gun control is unacceptable.

What is the relevance of the 'hussein' quote in your statement, do you and many others that do this, not realise that it just discredits the rest of what you say and makes you appear Xenophobic?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
But... We are told armed guards only make situations worse.

In my opinion, the shooter should have been killed on sight.

I guarentee if you start killing would-be murderers at the scene of the crime, the next copy cat will think twice.

Anywho, no matter what ended the situation, I'm just glad this one ended with no loss of innocent lives.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Are we going to see some MSM coverage?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
What is the relevance of the 'hussein' quote in your statement, do you and many others that do this, not realise that it just discredits the rest of what you say and makes you appear Xenophobic?

I imagine people write it because it is his name.. Unless you just mean the quotation marks.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I live in GA and have been following this story. This is a known low income school with plenty of gang activity on/off grounds and all around it. I can't say that this particular shooting was gang related, but can say I am happy the guard was there. Typically guards and metal detectors are not in schools unless they are in lower income areas or have a high risk for violence. Again, gun control isn't the issue here....its the mentality of the individual and the parenting that has gone wrong. Plenty of people have grown up around and with guns in their lives and have never gone on a shooting spree.

Glad the guard took care of it and was able to save some lives.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I'm glad he got the gun away from the kid and didn't just open up on him.
Tired of seeing kids getting shot for any reason.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
Are we going to see some MSM coverage?

Probably not. It will be a blurb especially when they find out an armed guard stopped it. It wouldn't fit their narrative.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Originally posted by shivaX
Barack 'Hussein' Obama pushing for gun control is unacceptable.

He has been quoting that in other threads, i think i beginning to see a propagandist!

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
We need to address the problem of identifying the kind of people doing these shootings. We have to get some of the chemicals out of our food that have psychoactive properties also. We need to monitor people on medications for organ malfunction which can cause toxic and dangerous effects to the mind.

We need to get rid of the violent interactive video games used by the young that can depersonalize them. Even if one out of a couple hundred kids turn out bad from these games, one bad kid can kill many good kids. We have to start teaching our kids to respect others again, this all out for oneself being adopted nowadays is wrong.

We shouldn't need armed guards in schools but I guess because of a society that is becoming more corrupt we need them. If your kids do something wrong, don't protect them, let them get punished if their behavior is wrong. Most kids aren't bad, their behavior is bad. This society is creating a lot of desensitized and depersonalized individuals who have no remorse for what they do wrong to others.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

For the most part, I agree with you. There are dangerous aspects within our culture left mostly unchecked. This naivete will propagate violent uncooperative behavior, and in some ways reward it.

However, once we start talking about regulating food, and deciding who is or is not mentally fit for society... that's the scary part of totalitarianism. Not the guns-being-taken-away part.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

The quotation marks obviously point out that the poster wants to highlight the Hussein part of his name, like it is some kind of issue for the said poster.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by neoholographic
I guess guns aren't so bad. Armed security guards and metal detectors at school are a good thing. Even though people ridiculed it when this was suggested when people like Obama and David Gregory sends their kids to schools that have armed guards to the teeth.

A student opened fire at his middle school Thursday afternoon, wounding a 14-year-old in the neck before an armed officer working at the school was able to get the gun away, police said.

Multiple shots were fired in the courtyard of Price Middle School just south of downtown around 1:50 p.m. and the one boy was hit, Atlanta Police Chief George Turner said. In the aftermath, a teacher received minor cuts, he said.

The wounded boy was taken "alert, conscious and breathing" to Grady Memorial Hospital, said police spokesman Carlos Campos. He was expected to be released Thursday night.

This just goes to leadership. Instead of ridiculing the NRA and Republicans who support armed guards at school, the President should have came out and said this is a good idea and tried to find common ground between them. Instead he's playing Politics. Blaming the NRA and Republicans and pushing "gun control"

Do a compromise of Background Checks and armed guards at schools. Even hire some ex military to patrol schools. This will give some of them a job when they leave the Military because they can't find one in this economy.

At the end of the day, reducing gun violence has to be aimed at gangs not the 2nd Amendment.

This is a ploy, a setup. Hire a contract killer, or drug somebody to go in and shoot the place up. Hire police officers to show that they are needed to protect citizens. Take away guns, and you have police everywhere "protecting" unarmed citizens against themselves.

Seriously, learn to look behind the scenes of things. Not everything is what it seems. Yes, I know that there are probably good cops out there that actually want to protect innocent lives. But with this gun ban and martial law in action, it just adds up to something pretty bad. Until those issues are resolved, I will not trust any single police officer on the streets. It sucks, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Glad we had a good guy with a gun, it could of gotten alot worse.
Imagine if an unarmed person would have tried to stop him.
Now he's killed two innocent people why not kill more?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join