It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are some neolithic stone circles natural rock formations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Stone circles, you gotta love them

Throughout the world they number in the thousands but mainly in europe and the U.K..
Although I realise that alot of them are proven to be man made, in most cases who actually made them is a mystery. Could some of them be natural formations that were then copied by our ancient ancestors?

Nature is able to build circles from small rocks.
Here are a couple of examples.
The first is patterned ground. Small stones naturally gather into circles and other patterns, this happens in really cold places such as Alaska. And the whole process is quite weird and wonderful.

"The patterns form by self-organization, and the same fundamental processes are at work in the formation of all these different patterns," said Mark Kessler, a postdoctoral researcher in the Earth Sciences Department at UCSC.

www1.ucsc.edu

The second is a stone circle in Canada. According to researchers, an ice pillar left over from a retreating ice shelf slowly melted depositing a ring of stone at the end of the last ice age. The reasearch team studdied the surrounding landscape but no other achaeological evidence of civilization could be found to suggest it is man made.

Once the ice became stagnant, continued freeze–thaw cycles eventually created a rubble pile, which slid off the presumably symmetrical mass of ice to become arranged in a roughly circular ring.

www.nrcresearchpress.com

Now that we know nature can deposit rocks into circles, they are very small compared to the rocks that neolithic stone circles are made from. So what about large rocks, can they be naturally formed into a circle?
Take a look at the next set of pics and decide for yourself.

These photos are of the surface of Mars and were taken by the Spirit Rover.
As you can see in the upper left of the landscape there is a stone circle made from about a dozen stones.

The stones are evenly spaced and form a near perfect circle apart from one of them at 9 o'clock that is askew.

The stone circle is in a second photo, that is a zoomed out shot. You can get a better idea of the size of the circle in this pic and at a distance is still quite visible. You'll have to scroll the image.

So what does ATS think?
Is the Mars stone circle built by druid martians, or is it natural?
If the Mars stone circle is a natural rock formation, then are some neolithic stone circles
natural formations too?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

Its quite possible and cant be ruled out that a natural process has been directly or indirectly responsible for the creation of neoththic rock formations. I proposed some similar ideas in a thread i wrote recently on ancient rock walls.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 1-2-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
reply to post by LeLeu

Its quite possible and cant be ruled out that a natural process has been directly or indirectly responsible for the creation of neoththic rock formations. I proposed some similar ideas in a thread i wrote recently on ancient rock walls.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 1-2-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

Hey, nice one Savage

new topics

join