It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rocket carrying US satellite crashes into Pacific seconds after launch

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
SAWEEEEEEEEEEET

So glad that Obama killed our rocket program so that we can build multi million dollar pieces of machinery , stick them onto foreign made rockets of questionable construction.........

And then watch our tax dollars explode like shoddy fireworks ........

Time for private industry here in the states to pick up the slack so that we dont have to rely on other countries for our stuff.........

We shouldnt be trusting other countries with our hardware anyway.......

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by The0nlytruth

I wonder if just allowing it to sink into the ocean is the best idea? It had to be carrying some form of payload to fuel its ascent into space right? So with al the problems our oceans face now is it the best idea to let it sink and possibly cause long term contamination?
www.space.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Right you are, and the craftsmanship of the cheapest winners of the contracts is the first clue...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

This WAS a private industry launch. It was launched by Sea Launch, from their mobile platform using a Ukrainian built Zenit-3SL.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This is pure speculation, treat it as such:

There was a Mars-probe from Russia that became faulty after it flew over an American war-ship. What if the American satellite didn't launch because Russia wanted USA to know that it's not okay to mess with electronics around their space-probes?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Well, that sucks. That could be the nail in the coffin for Sea Launch.

The loss of the launch vehicle along with its Intelsat 27 payload is a major blow to Sea Launch and its shrinking customer base. After coming back from bankruptcy in 2012, the company did not have many customers to begin with.

Good detailed coverage Here

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Sea Launch took a big hit after several satellite failures after reaching orbit. There was a lot of suspicion that they had somehow caused the problems (all three suffered partial or total failures of their solar panels). After something like 8 years of suspicion, they were only just recently cleared after another satellite failed in the same way, and an independent board determined the cause as being a manufacturing error.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BitingRogue

Good. I wish I could have seen the faces of the US Empire scientists as their silly little rocket crashed into the sea. Knowing all their hard work went into the sea

ACTUALLY....95% of the shares to Sea Launch, the company that launched it, are Russian owned....SOOOOoooo

I would like to see the faces of those Russians when they have to pay for the lost satellite....

EDIT:
I see you got yours though...Chadwickus is right. Did you keep that smile?
edit on 1-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

This is the last time I heard about them (2007)... not very good for marketing purposes.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787

easy for me to see why you have -4999 points.
it wont be easy for you to see though...

I am sad that progress was thwarted by this crash.

Off topic:

It is now -5,899 points.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

They've successfully launched over 30 satellites into orbit since they were created. Launching satellites isn't an easy task though. Pretty much everyone has had a lot of failures prior to their successes. Some of the NASA archive footage of the early days is funny as hell to watch. Everything from just the tower popping off, to them cartwheeling across the pad.

ETA: Since 1999 they've only had three rocket failures, and one launch anomaly. That's in over 35 launch attempts. Several satellites (at least three) have failed prematurely due to manufacturing defects on the solar panels.
edit on 2/1/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BitingRogue

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Uhh the rocket is Ukrainian built...

The satelite wasn't. I know that thousands of hours in work and dedication and late nights would have gone into it. Good to see that it went to the bottom of the ocean.

Here in the US we have a term for people like you. It's called a "hater." Haters do crazy things, try to kill people, and get themselves shot every day. Don't be a hater.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join