It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Killings: Why American Men Are "Going Postal"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Waldy

Me? A troll? That's funny. You clearly know nothing about firearms.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Waldy

Sorry but you are wrong. He was right. Apparently you have very little knowledge of firearms. Take this from one with law enforcement experience and a firearms instructor.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
First of all, a little research will show that the worst school massacre in US history did not have any "assault" weapons, in fact not a single shot was fired. 45 died in that massacre which used explosives. That is not including the killers family who were killed at their home, not at the school. The year was 1927, the place Beth, Michigan. A person bent on murder will find a way. As for it being predominantly young white men involved in these mass killings, I would have to say that it is due in large part to the number of young white men in the country. There was an incident here in New Mexico where a young hispanic male killed his family and planned on killing his girlfriend's family as well. He also planned on going on a killing spree at a local Wal Mart. I was at that Wal Mart that day with my wife, children, and nephew. thankfully he changed his mind. I think that we need to focus on the root cause. We never hear about what medications these peopl were on, but in most cases it is leaked that they were taking something. Maybe the antidepressants don't react well with testosterone? This case in New Mexico, the father who was killed had 10 kids, not from the same woman! Not exactly a "Leave it to Beaver" family. In other cases, it is usually a single mother that raised the child. Maybe a strong father figure would have prevented it? I think that if, instead of trying to use this as a way to regulate other families to protect our own, maybe, just maybe, if we each put an honest effort into strengthening our own families and teaching the youth in our own communities some good values and instill good moral judgement, then we can stop the violence.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
What percentage of the shooters have been on SSRIs? Why is it that no one brings up the fact that half of the ads for medication on TV are prone to cause suicide?

Its not the whole argument or cause, but its a factor.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
So only white males are going postal? Now that is petty! What about the other males engaging in urban warfare on the streets of Chicago and other inner cities?

Deadliest January In Chicago In More Than 10 Years

The murder toll in Chicago for the month of January now stands at 42, making it the most deadly January in Chicago in more than 10 years.

That is 42 people snuffed out in a month's time! So the other males get a pass now, and it is time to focus on one particular demographic? Lets look at violence across the board instead of cherry picking whom to talk about, and whom not too. Most if not all of the alleged mass shooters are thought to have had mental health issues, but we are focusing on gender and race? What about the misgivings of the pyschiatric community, and the pharmaceutical companies? The ones that push for self medication above all things instead of inducing practical and necessary coping mechanisms?

Furthermore, we are making the extra effort to demonize, and restrict an inanimate object instead of holding those whom engage in conduct as dastardly as killing and maiming innocent people responsible? It sounds like this article, and among others are merely pulling straws while taking a stab in the dark to make a feeble attempt at providing perspective on this phenomenon. Just my humble opinion on this topic, and from what I gather? It appears there is alot of straw pulling, blame gaming, demonizing, and finger pointing. Whatever happened to reasonable and down-to-earth problem solving? Maybe that was during another era, because I am having a hard time seeing it now.
edit on 1-2-2013 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Nobody has bothered to mention the fact that testosterone levels have plummeted. I'm thinking these guys have a high cortisol to testosterone level.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by FyreByrd

I hope that you will take the time to read this article. It has some valid points on why this phenomenon is taking place in the US.

The author cites four fundamental causes:

1) Decline of good wage earner jobs (Union Jobs)
2) Militarism (Military Industrial Complex)
3) No real social safety net
4) Distain towards Metal Health.

I offer additional links for depth:

truth-out.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

I didn't see anything about the over reporting of EVERY SINGLE SHOOTING that's occurred since Sandy Hook. A gang banger getting shot in Houston is national news? For Christ's sake...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker46

ok then mr firearms instructor, can you tell me why the army uses assault rifles and not shotguns?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Waldy
reply to post by nightstalker46

ok then mr firearms instructor, can you tell me why the army uses assault rifles and not shotguns?

The Army does use shotguns...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Somehow I doubt that the last three shooters (Gifford, Aurora and Sandy Hook) were upset over a lack of jobs. They seem a little young to be angered by long term unemployment.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by shivaX
Hmm the citizens are angry because of the tyrannical rule of Barack 'Hussein' Obama.

They are also enraged because 3000 US citizens were sent to Allah by Islamic terrorists in 9/11.

Here we go again.

I am so sick of people saying "OMG it's all Obama's fault." This country was going into the crapper LONG before Obama came into the picture.

Get over it and MOVE ON!

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire

I hope that you will take the time to read this article. It has some valid points on why this phenomenon is taking place in the US.

truth-out.org

After reading the points, I refuse to even click that liberal propaganda.... Seriously, all these excuses are RIGHT out of the communist handbook.... NOT EVEN JOKING!

Here's the real problem.... we have 336 Million people living in this country.... 1 out of 10 million seem to go on a spree... thats like lotto magic...

also, we have parents not taking care of kids, DOPING THEM UP WITH DRUGS, and then of course, our government PRODS them with racism... Race baiting etc.

(look at what our president has done to divide this country over the last 5 years)
edit on 1-2-2013 by DrNotforhire because: (no reason given)

1) There is a communist handbook - do you have a scource?

2) one in a million fluke then

3) You list your own causes: 1) parents not taking care of kids (sound like economics hardship/two wage earner families to be) and race baiting (just who is doing the race baiting? Obama? or frightened white men.

Please try consistancy.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by LennayTheUndead

truth-out.org

I didn't see anything about the over reporting of EVERY SINGLE SHOOTING that's occurred since Sandy Hook. A gang banger getting shot in Houston is national news? For Christ's sake...

Now that is a GREAT POINT - I'd love to see these shootings/killings not reported at all. A symptom of the militarialiszation of our society - films, radio, games, books, news, everything is about killing.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Nobody has bothered to mention the fact that testosterone levels have plummeted. I'm thinking these guys have a high cortisol to testosterone level.

Another GREAT POINT - do you have a source for plummenting testosternone levels in males?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
So only white males are going postal? Now that is petty! What about the other males engaging in urban warfare on the streets of Chicago and other inner cities?

Deadliest January In Chicago In More Than 10 Years

The murder toll in Chicago for the month of January now stands at 42, making it the most deadly January in Chicago in more than 10 years.

That is 42 people snuffed out in a month's time! So the other males get a pass now, and it is time to focus on one particular demographic? Lets look at violence across the board instead of cherry picking whom to talk about, and whom not too. Most if not all of the alleged mass shooters are thought to have had mental health issues, but we are focusing on gender and race? What about the misgivings of the pyschiatric community, and the pharmaceutical companies? The ones that push for self medication above all things instead of inducing practical and necessary coping mechanisms?

Furthermore, we are making the extra effort to demonize, and restrict an inanimate object instead of holding those whom engage in conduct as dastardly as killing and maiming innocent people responsible? It sounds like this article, and among others are merely pulling straws while taking a stab in the dark to make a feeble attempt at providing perspective on this phenomenon. Just my humble opinion on this topic, and from what I gather? It appears there is alot of straw pulling, blame gaming, demonizing, and finger pointing. Whatever happened to reasonable and down-to-earth problem solving? Maybe that was during another era, because I am having a hard time seeing it now.
edit on 1-2-2013 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

If you had read the article you would have seen that the discussion was only about MASS KILLINGS (defined as more than 4 victums). We aren't talking about killings in general. I will concede that single killings are more likely involving men of color - but not with MASS KILLINGS.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessejamesxx
What percentage of the shooters have been on SSRIs? Why is it that no one brings up the fact that half of the ads for medication on TV are prone to cause suicide?

Its not the whole argument or cause, but its a factor.

I think that would fall under "Distain for mental health issues".

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

Metal Health? I hated that song when Quiet Riot released back in the 80s, and I damn sure hate it now.

I'm not gonna shoot a bunch of people over it though.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65
I love the underlying message here..."White men are unstable, they go crazy and kill innocents"..."It's all their fault"

Can you read my mind or the mind of the original article's author? I think not. Methinks he does protest a bit much.

What about gangs "of color" that routinely kill untold numbers of innocent bystander every year in this country and in Mexico?

This post and the referenced article was about MASS KILLINGS of the 'Postal' variety nothing more.

Sure, they are trying to put blame on this or that but the intent is to make the "white male" look like the lunatic that's always right on the edge of popping.

Showing the fear and insecurity the article speaks to. A secure man doesn't speak this way unless the mark is close to the target. What are you afraid of?

How about the pharmaceuticals with a list of side effects longer than your arm?

See point on "Distain for Mental Health"

How about the slow and deliberate dismantling of our rights?

Everyone's rights or just yours. Speaks to decline in good jobs and ecomonic insecurity.

How about the manipulation of economy so that it is impossible for the average wage earner to raise a family on a single income thus both parents must work? ...if there are two parents that is...

What happens when a person looks around at the state of our country and our society and realizes that the corruption is so deep and entrenched that there is absolutely no way to fix it?

How does a person act when the only apparent remedy is cataclysm and destruction?

These are the types of things that make people snap...along with job and peer pressure.

I am not defending what any of these loony tunes do by any means...people are responsible for their own decisions. I do not appreciate the picture this type of propaganda paints when the "between the lines" is considered.

And you have shown us exactly what the problem is FOR ALL OF US.

edit on 1-2-2013 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Have you socially involved yourself with the american culture?

Hollywood is starting to get to us. I think mass media plays a major roll.

People are egotistical narcissist.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
How in the blue hell can anyone in their right mind expect solid, strong young men to be raised when their primary influence from "dad" is whether he sent the monthly support check or not?

Fix the American family and you fix America, bottom line.

Specifically in context to the idea of there being a corollary between that and these mass shooters...

needs to be contrasted with the number of single mothers to the number of mass shooters raised by single moms.

According to this 10 million single moms in 2010 in the US.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join