It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATF seizes a shipment of 30 'dangerous' weapons.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

if you are going to reply - at least read and comprehend what i wrote , to re-itterate :

REAL fireams boxed as " airsoft toys " to avoid taxes / regulations etc is not a new " trick " and one the ATF and other agencies are constantly looking out for

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
reply to post by generik

next they will ban steel pipe from home depot.

If you have a steel pipe and a nail I believe you can be brought in for "constructive possession."

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

i would agree - the chassis / furniture / accessories on airsoft weapons may be genuine - but the "meat " of the action will not be

as i understand it :

trigger group - airsoft weapons have a trigger linked directly to a microswitch

selector - again - microswitch - not sear

barrel - why does an airsoft weapon require a barrel drilled and reamed - then rifiled , debured and heat treated ?

barrel - why would an airsoft barrel have a chamber ?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I researched this story a while ago and it isn't as far fetched as it might sound. This guy explains it pretty well.

edit on 1/2/2013 by cripmeister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Even "if" these could be modified to shoot more than once or twice, that is a whole lot of trouble and expense just for "the look".

As a couple of people already hinted at...you can make a highly effective "zip gun" for a few bucks and simple tools from crap you can buy at a hardware store...name your caliber.

The point being...if someone has decided the are "gonna do sum killin"...confiscating toys ...or any other corporate manufactured "real" firearm is not going to stop them.

You can make your own zip guns.

You can make your own cannons

You can make your own gunpowder and projectiles.

You can make your own long bow and arrows.

You can make your own knives and spears

Removing things from the shelf only makes things a little more inconvenient.
edit on 2/1/2013 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Morons, every last one of them.

I would love to see that supposed Airsoft Gun converted to fire real ammunition.

Again, Morons.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Just saying, but a 3d printer can make a AR that fires 6 rnds before cracking,

That being said, his is the type of things you willsee happening in the future....ITs called PSYWAR
Others call it mind control.....
Tell the same lie enough times it becoes fact to the great unwashed.
edit on 1-2-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The only way these guns would be dangerous to someone is if the user takes the orange tip off and tries to rob a bank with it and gets swiss cheesed by the cops. Then he's just another Darwin Awards nominee.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
so i can convert a pipe into a pipe bomb is the atf going to confiscate all the pipe from the hardware store.. F#ucking morons...

and the red tip doesnt matter there is no law that says you have to have it unless you are selling it and that is only in some states they can order them without it and put it on themselves with no issues and then if I buy it I can paint it black again so it doesn't look retarded.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by txinfidel
For example here is an airsoft AK47 metal reciever cover.

www.airsoftgunrepair.com...

I can guarantee you if I ordered that part, it would fit my AK. Then I could order pistol grips, selector. furniture, sights and all other components. (not sure about the gas chamber)

But everything else is damn near identical.

www.evike.com...

Personally, its not the route I would take, but in a pinch if I needed to replace parts on a working AK. I would just spend the $150 bucks for an airsoft.

If i needed to replace parts on any of my weapons they damn sure wouldn't be coming off a toy regardless of the situation. The parts may be similar but i doubt they are to they same grade as actual firearms, otherwise they wouldn't be so much cheaper. It may or may not be possible to convert a airsoft gun but i wouldn't want to be around anyone trying to fire it.
edit on 1-2-2013 by DIRTYDONKEY because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

The guy doesn't explain conversion or even show airsoft parts. He is just speculating, just as this thread is.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Do the grown men wearing camo and firing their fake guns with the orange tips out running around in the woods realize what complete idiots they look like? Just wondering.

And how many kids get killed every year pulling one of those fake toy guns on a cop who has to make an instantaneous decision on whether he's in danger or not?

And how many cops find their whole lives shattered by the knowledge that they've shot an 8 year old kid who was playing cops and robbers that he saw on the teevee and didn't realize the danger he was in pulling a toy gun on a real cop?

I agree that spending money to interdict toy guns is insane, but so is a country where gun shops outnumber grocery stores.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Actually yes....yes they are.
And its 100% legal too...

Wrong. Nothing internal or external in any way necessary to fire ammunition, is "the same".

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

Sure buy the parts kit for around 450 bucks. Buy the flat receiver that needs to be shaped for 30 bucks. then throw out the receiver cover and use the 9 dollar airsoft part that might withstand the pressure of an actual round and you have a gun. Thats no where near the bull crap your trying to sell saying an airsoft gun can be made to fire real ammunition. stick to one argument.

No see, you may be a weapons expert for all I know and thats fine I am not arguing that. It does not mean you don't have a reading comprehension problem. From the OP.

It's not everyone's cup of Tea, to be sure, but it's an important sport to plenty. Now this genius at ATF claims ....actually, to listen to the end of the news report, he represents an agency which insists, they've tested these and proven they CAN be converted to fire live ammunition and become "military grade" weapons.

All I am saying is that this part is true, some of the components of some airsoft models CAN be converted to use live ammunition.

From a legal standpoint and the other methods I pointed out above. The main part you are missing is that some of the AK and AR models do have working components and it is cheaper and more legal (in some states) to obtain the airsoft parts, bypassing the federal background check and as another pointed out later after your post. The lower receiver is also the same just doesnt have the holes drilled out and why would they as they are part of an airsoft gun?

Now if you dont believe me, go down to the store and take a look at some of these models. Make sure you take the upper receiver off and take a look at what is going on in side.

Now I am not recommending building an AR or AK by using parts from an airsoft gun, but if somebody was desperate enough, they could using the methods I already explained and in the end they would have a fully functioning firearm.

See, your suggesting that the external parts of the airsoft gun are not firearms quality grade and could not fire live ammunition. And I am saying actually its quite the opposite (at least as far as I can tell) these are working parts from an AR or AK that have been modified to accept airsoft (making their practice legal) and not the other way around.

But if you dont believe me, fine. But at least go and take a look at one and hold it in your hands and remove the upper receiver and then if you still dont believe me, then let me know.

Anyways, the reason the FEDS are doing this is because after people caught wind of possible firearms restrictions people were clearing the ARs and AKs off of the shelves. Given the availability and price of the firearms themselves, some found it cheaper to just stock up on the lower receivers and now even those are getting harder to find.

The FEDS of course caught wind of this which leads us to the reason the ATF is raiding airsoft parts. I am not stating that what they are doing is right or legal even but at least there is a little bit of truth in the reasoning behind it.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I have a DPMS Airsoft. Same weight and feel of a AR. It's made of metal for the most part. The thing is, the lower is a actual AR lower. Give me some parts and I drill one hole in it and I have a actual AR15.

Here's the kicker. DPMS included within the box specific warnings not to do this as the lower apparently did not meet their QC standards and they imply that to make a real weapon out of it would be dangerous and that they would not be held liable.

Thanks for pointing that out. It sounds like you probably have the same thing.

The only difference is that a milled receiver has the holes in it and one that is not milled does not. Both are flying off of the shelves like hot cakes.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreLiedTo
Blatant lies like this should be punishable.

I'll believe an air-soft gun can fire live ammo just as soon as they find someone stupid enough to test fire that plastic toy with it.

But if they insist these can be converted to fire live ammo enough times, people will start to believe it.

edit on 1-2-2013 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

tbh I was ALMOST tempted to TRY to put a 9mm round into the "magazine" that came with my quasi beretta looking airsoft pistol... then i realized i would have a hard time with that since the magazine is really designed to only hold 5.93mm rounds, that don't have casings.
Square peg Round hole kinda problem...
then I considered that perhaps maybe i could put a .22 into the alleged "chamber" that this pistol has, and it occurred that if somehow i could pull that off (the slot for the magazine is really small, and the gun has no slide mechanism of which to speak) that maaaaaaaaaaybe the spring inside would be strong enough to set off the primer in a rim fire round.
Then i realized that if I did in fact get as far as pulling this off 2 things would happen 1. there is no extractor, so its a 1 shot and toss kinda deal...
2. the gun is made almost entirely of plastic, and this would likely result in serious damage to my hand, and possibly exploding/melting of the "barrel".

So then I thought "hey my buddy has a replica walther (james bond style and its almost entirely made of metal) airsoft gun with a working slide...
the slide is gas powered by the CO2 canister that fires the pellets. of course if you pull the slide back there is no chamber, because if there was a big bullet sized opening in the receiver (like on a real gun) the pellets would fall out the side and not be shot out the front.

I suppose its possible to get a barrel and drill it out, and size it to fit inside, and then make sure that the integrity of all the other parts is enough to withstand firing a bullet, and possibly add a proper receiver to the gun and make it into a weapon... but at that point why not just buy a weapon?
after all the work it would take to modify and reinforce an airsoft gun one might as well start from scratch and have less headaches.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

ETA: any IDIOT out there that THINKS you can convert an airsoft gun into a real firearm, you're exactly that, an IDIOT.
The metal it's made from is alot softer then what's used in a live firearm, the internals are not te same, NOTHING CAN CONVERT AN AIRSOFT TO A LIVE WEAPON.
I don't care what you read online or in the papers or anything, it can NOT be doe

Just because it is airsoft does not mean its external parts are made like toys. In fact they are working parts modified to receive airsoft. So if you dont think so then you probably haven't looked at one. Dont take my word for it, go check one out for yourself.

The upper reciever is exactly the same, along with many of the other parts.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DIRTYDONKEY

If i needed to replace parts on any of my weapons they damn sure wouldn't be coming off a toy regardless of the situation. The parts may be similar but i doubt they are to they same grade as actual firearms, otherwise they wouldn't be so much cheaper. It may or may not be possible to convert a airsoft gun but i wouldn't want to be around anyone trying to fire it.

Again, these are working AK components modified to recieve airsoft. I would not recommend swapping any of the important safety parts. However if I wanted to replace the reciever cover, furniture, pistol grip, sights or buttstock the airsoft would work just fine.

And no I wouldnt want to be around that person either, especially when they shoot off the first rounds lol. But it is possible and thats the only point I was trying to make.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

My homemade Potato Launcher will do more dmg than that airsoft gun. And I can control how much power it has pending the type of cylinder I use at the end.

Converting an airsoft gun to a real gun.... It would shatter in one shot and you'll be lucky that the shrapnel from the plastic gun exploding doesn't take your eye out. Or worse.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by phrookface

tbh I was ALMOST tempted to TRY to put a 9mm round into the "magazine" that came with my quasi beretta looking airsoft pistol... then i realized i would have a hard time with that since the magazine is really designed to only hold 5.93mm rounds, that don't have casings.
Square peg Round hole kinda problem...
then I considered that perhaps maybe i could put a .22 into the alleged "chamber" that this pistol has, and it occurred that if somehow i could pull that off (the slot for the magazine is really small, and the gun has no slide mechanism of which to speak) that maaaaaaaaaaybe the spring inside would be strong enough to set off the primer in a rim fire round.
Then i realized that if I did in fact get as far as pulling this off 2 things would happen 1. there is no extractor, so its a 1 shot and toss kinda deal...
2. the gun is made almost entirely of plastic, and this would likely result in serious damage to my hand, and possibly exploding/melting of the "barrel".

So then I thought "hey my buddy has a replica walther (james bond style and its almost entirely made of metal) airsoft gun with a working slide...
the slide is gas powered by the CO2 canister that fires the pellets. of course if you pull the slide back there is no chamber, because if there was a big bullet sized opening in the receiver (like on a real gun) the pellets would fall out the side and not be shot out the front.

I suppose its possible to get a barrel and drill it out, and size it to fit inside, and then make sure that the integrity of all the other parts is enough to withstand firing a bullet, and possibly add a proper receiver to the gun and make it into a weapon... but at that point why not just buy a weapon?
after all the work it would take to modify and reinforce an airsoft gun one might as well start from scratch and have less headaches.

No see, this is EXACTLY the type of thought you should not ever try to do or entertain.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join