It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists create world’s first multiverse of universes in the lab

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Why? because you're capable of understanding it, it is somehow less amazing? That sounds like a personal issue to me.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by blahxd67

But that's just it, isn't it. If the test is understanding, recognizing, and living right over wrong you have been told (by almost every christian religion), and probably agreed to the conditions before being sent into this little "universe in the lab".

just some things to think about.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
would be like a program assistant in form of interaction that as you participate the programs lays a undefined path associated with those teachings obey or not.. interesting

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Dfairlite

Actually I was referring to the idea that only an omnipotent being would be able to accomplish something like this so, if it is no longer a prerequisite than the creator could be a being that doesn't fit the general description of a "god".

edit on 3-2-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
reply to post by Dfairlite

Actually I was referring to the idea that only an omnipotent being would be able to accomplish something like this so, if it is no longer a prerequisite than the creator could be a being that doesn't fit the general description of a "god".

edit on 3-2-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

The concept of omnipotence described by the Bible is quite different from the concept of omnipotence usually used by religions.

The Bible describes omnipotence as a matter of sheer force, knowledge and skill. That is, God can do anything He wants because He has the knowledge of how to do so, the skill to apply such knowledge and the necessary power to accomplish it. I usually illustrate it by comparing it to a game of chess with Bobby Fischer, considered by many to be the best chess player that ever existed. If you played a game with him, you would lose. No matter what you did, he would always be ten steps ahead of you. In a game of chess, he could be described as omnipotent.

The idea that omnipotence means "God can do whatever He wants" come from Greek mythology, which some "Church Fathers" were quite enamored with, and worked hard to adapt the concepts into Christianity.

The Biblical idea of God is far closer to an idea of a mixed Scientist and Artist who uses both Science and Aesthetics, laboring carefully while creating than the idea of a "magical bearded man in the clouds" that waves his hand and get things done.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I read the title and said to myself "All you need is living brain cells that are stimulated by '___'"

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leahn

The concept of omnipotence described by the Bible is quite different from the concept of omnipotence usually used by religions.

The Bible describes omnipotence as a matter of sheer force, knowledge and skill. That is, God can do anything He wants because He has the knowledge of how to do so, the skill to apply such knowledge and the necessary power to accomplish it. I usually illustrate it by comparing it to a game of chess with Bobby Fischer, considered by many to be the best chess player that ever existed. If you played a game with him, you would lose. No matter what you did, he would always be ten steps ahead of you. In a game of chess, he could be described as omnipotent.

The idea that omnipotence means "God can do whatever He wants" come from Greek mythology, which some "Church Fathers" were quite enamored with, and worked hard to adapt the concepts into Christianity.

The Biblical idea of God is far closer to an idea of a mixed Scientist and Artist who uses both Science and Aesthetics, laboring carefully while creating than the idea of a "magical bearded man in the clouds" that waves his hand and get things done.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leahn

Actually I was not specifically referring to the god of the bible but instead a creator in a general sense but, as far as the bible goes, "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." doesn't sound like a scientist at all. Sounds like someone who doesn't even need to wave his hand to get things done.

edit on 4-2-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

except they more neatly tie up Einstein’s theory of special relativity by including time as a fourth dimension.

"Oh, yeah... we passed light through a lens... this TOTALLY proves the Theory of Einstein's infallibility."

It's bunk.

"And time is a dimension, people... It's a DIMENSION!!! Did I mention that Time is totally a Dimension?"

Transparent, really...
edit on 4-2-2013 by ErtaiNaGia because: Ha.. I made a little pun...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Actually I was not specifically referring to the god of the bible but instead a creator in a general sense but, as far as the bible goes, "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." doesn't sound like a scientist at all. Sounds like someone who doesn't even need to wave his hand to get things done.

Genesis 1:1: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

created: bara' - to shape out. to fashion by cutting. to create or make.

Genesis 1:3 seems to be an outlier. In most verses, the creation is associated with a verb of action that has the same sense as above. However, Paul translates the passage of Genesis 1:3 quite differently, and being a native, he is far more qualified than us to understand what was actually meant by the sentence. In 2 Corinthians 4:6, Paul translates this as "Let light shine out of darkness". It seems to Paul that light already existed, but could not pierce the darkness described in Genesis 1:2. And God changed it so light could pierce the darkness so He could compare the state of pure darkness with the presence of light.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Meta materials and seeming mutiverses in a lab, interesting.
But be advised to remain extremly cautious of singularities
and run away effects as they give no prior warning of impeeding doom.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I read this today "Research scientist focusing on cellular nutrition", at first I was thinking cell phone nutrition?, like a dummy. Too much technology for me, my universe is already too big take me back to Little House on The Prairie, my kind of life...and yes Ii could live without a computer, could you
?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

edit on 2/5/2013 by 8infinity8 because: I'm duping here I don't know why maybe mouse issues?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Leahn

Sorry but that isn't convincing me besides, whatever your take on the god of the bible, most believers do believe that he is omnipotent and not just a smarter being.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   

reply to post by Leahn

Sorry but that isn't convincing me besides, whatever your take on the god of the bible, most believers do believe that he is omnipotent and not just a smarter being.

Read my signature. Remind yourself that truth does not care about your opinion, nor is it established by majority.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Leahn

Since the truth I am pointing out is what the majority believe then yes, in this case, it is established by the majority.

Maybe you should think a bit more about what is being said in your signature.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Thank you so much for the link to the "Spacetime has No Time Dimension" article. I have been obsessed with this topic since I was a kid. Any theory relying on time being a dimension, physical, dancing or rewindable makes absolutely no sense to me. Speeding up and slowing down time is easy to imagine but as soon as they try to reverse it or give it similar physical properties I'm of the boat. No matter how much work I've put into it I just can't make it fit. Actually I can't even understand how they can make it fit, just does not seem plausible.
I guess there is something I've missed or something that just does not get stuck to the sticky tape of my brain.

Regarding the experiment in OP I would have to give it some time, as it stands it seems to me to be more of a "Conway's Game of Life" type of thing. Although exponentially more advanced it might still end up being just another "conceptually similar but far from". But don't get me wrong, it's worth the time it gets. I believe it has good potential and might give us some good data.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowBase

So you all really believe that, you will still be alive or even exist in the first place,
if time as a dimension did not exist?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

Your question, to me, sounds like someone 500 years ago asking "do you think we would be alive if the earth was spinning around the sun"?

Whether time exists as a dimension or not is already set. The only thing that would change is our understanding of how it exists. Coming to that understanding wouldn't have any bearing on the fact that we are alive.

edit on 9-2-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

Why does time have to exist as a dimension?

Why would we not exist if time where for example one of the below?
- A fundamental property of matter (or whatever, probably not the be best choise of words)
- An effect generated by the interaction of the 3 dimensions
- Result of magnetism
- Some unknown force
- Energy
- Vibration
etc..

Just for fun:
What if we had the point before big bang and suddenly added magnetism to the equation. Matter inside that unimaginably dense dot would suddenly start to move as they attract and repel each other, in effect jump starting "time" by injecting the possibility of change into the picture.
(note: only meant as a basic conceptual example)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join