It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRS: Cheapest Obamacare Plan Will Be $20,000 Per Family

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
So what happens to the Social Security receiver who only gets $1000 or $1200 a month? And thats their sole income? Or the Vet who's covered by the VA. ??

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Just doing a quick google search for health insurance I find that for a family of 4 , 2 adults 2 children to be about 600.00 per month which is 7200.00 a year. Not cheap but not 20K either. Please research is your friend.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
There are families out there who dont make but 30K. Not likely they would be forced to live on 10K for everything else . There are cheaper plans out there but still for some any insurance is out of the question as far as costs go.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
If you and your family are covered through your work, then Obamacare is of no concern to you because you'll continue with whatever health insurance premiums you already pay (to a private insurer) through your employer's group insurance plan.

If you qualify as "poor" you can still get Medicaid.

The only people affected by Obamacare are people like me, the self-employed, self-insured types who have to pay exorbitant prices for individual, private healthcare policies. My policy cost me $300 a month when I first got it ten years ago. Now it costs me more than $1700 a month -- for the same plan -- and I NEVER go to a doctor -- and that doesn't cover dental care or eye care.

People like me will be shopping around, seeing if Obamacare can offer us a decent rate. Most likely, it will start out at a reasonable rate - $300 to $600 a month -- and within ten years be just as expensive as other, private insurers were charging us.

But hey, if I can save what amounts to 12 mortgage payments for a few years, I'm all for it!

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I find it somewhat ironic that at the end of the article on the csn link, about how much Obamacare is going to cost the average tax payer, that they are asking for donations.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Plotus

There will still be medicare and medicaid. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the amount of money you can make and qualify for medicaid is going to be nearly tripled. That has always bothered me, because doctors only take so many medicaid patients and then no more. What happens when the number of medicaid recipients doubles or triples and doctors won't take them?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plotus
So what happens to the Social Security receiver who only gets $1000 or $1200 a month? And thats their sole income? Or the Vet who's covered by the VA. ??

They are exempt, as is anyone covered by their employer or who already has coverage, since it is grandfathered in.
edit on 2-2-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrome413
reply to post by Plotus

There will still be medicare and medicaid. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the amount of money you can make and qualify for medicaid is going to be nearly tripled. That has always bothered me, because doctors only take so many medicaid patients and then no more. What happens when the number of medicaid recipients doubles or triples and doctors won't take them?

Not only that, but Obamacare sets up levels of coverage:
Platinum
Gold
Silver
Bronze

There will be no more choice within the independent markets as the standard is being set by the government. Guess which quality of doctor you will be able to see?

Welcome to a very tiered society.

Oh, and what of those who are completely exempt?... What kind of doctor's do you think they will see?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

This whole thing is so complicated and confusing. It's probably that way on purpose too. I have a feeling we are all going to be screwed by this.

A side note- my friend is manager of a convenience store, part of a local chain of about 50 stores. He told me this week that he has to inform 2 of his full time workers that they are being demoted to part time. Right now the company is 70/ 30 full time/ part time workers and because of this health care law they want to be less than 50% full time. How this is beneficial for America I do not know.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrome413
reply to post by MsAphrodite

This whole thing is so complicated and confusing. It's probably that way on purpose too. I have a feeling we are all going to be screwed by this.

A side note- my friend is manager of a convenience store, part of a local chain of about 50 stores. He told me this week that he has to inform 2 of his full time workers that they are being demoted to part time. Right now the company is 70/ 30 full time/ part time workers and because of this health care law they want to be less than 50% full time. How this is beneficial for America I do not know.

What are the negative effects that this law has over companies and their employees?
Ive read a few stories about business owners having to fire people because of this but I havent taken the time to find out how it affects them.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The IRS will be out in force to collect in 2014.

Assuming we get that far.

edit on 2-2-2013 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ausername
The IRS will be out in force to collect in 2014.

Assuming we get that far.

Yes indeed they are preparing.

link

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
reply to post by Robodoon

Here is a source from Forbes that details the costs of either choosing the plan or paying the tax, for those who are interested.

Forbes - The Cost of Obamacare

From your source... This is how they will "get you" ...

Remember that the government will determine what health insurance policies meet its approval to satisfy the individual mandate. If citizens decide they prefer a different health plan, they would have to pay for that insurance as well as pay the new tax.

If they want to, they can make anyone (with coverage or not) pay the tax.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Does anyone else think this is when the gov't will start microchipping us- 2016?

Are the unemployed and students exempt?
edit on 02/18/1992 by VENGENZ because: lalala

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ausername

That is just someone's interpretation.

And that someone wrote a book called "Why ObamaCare Is Wrong for America".

What else can they be expected to say?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
What a #ing joke that they let this legislation pass. SCOTUS and the corporation monopolists are going hand in hand with enslaving the proletariat. I don't have money to pay for pseudo-universal healthcare. Altruism for the rich is what this is

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
If you don't have the money to pay and you earn less than 400% of poverty wages, you will get a tax credit (dollar for dollar reduction in taxes owed) for the majority of your premiums. I figure for my family we pay $8400 a year and the government (through lower taxes) will end up covering about 75% of that. That is instead of currently getting a tax deduction, which amounts to only about 15%. So basically under Obamacare our health insurance will cost me about $5000 less per year. Same plan, same doctors, same standard of care.

Those who hover near poverty rates will pay very very little if anything. So if you can't afford it you will be getting plenty of help.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
I figure for my family we pay $8400 a year and the government (through lower taxes) will end up covering about 75% of that. That is instead of currently getting a tax deduction, which amounts to only about 15%.

The government? Sounds more like I'll be covering it! The government is my taxes, I don't want you to get insurance using my money when I don't even pay insurance for myself. I've got my own reasons not to do it and I never needed to.

The uninsured do not drive healthcare costs up, the insured do (if no one was insured, how would hospitals make money if no one could afford care? They'd be forced to reduce prices until the average american could afford it).
edit on 3-2-2013 by daniel_g because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by daniel_g
The government? Sounds more like I'll be covering it! The government is my taxes, I don't want you to get insurance using my money when I don't even pay insurance for myself. I've got my own reasons not to do it and I never needed to.

Yes you will be covering it. You probably wouldn't agree with the other ways it could be spent either but at least this gives back to your fellow american. Would it make you happier if it was spent sending more american youths off to senseless wars?

Maybe this is a better choice even if the choice isn't yours to make.

edit on 3-2-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join