It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can't Find that Perfect Cup of Coffee? Maybe it's the Color of Your Cup.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
recentdiscovery.com...

“The color of the container where food and drink are served can enhance some attributes like taste and aroma.”

According to the study, these results are relevant for those scientists interested in understanding how the brain integrates visual information not just from the food itself but from the receptacle or container from which it is consumed. The chefs, catering professionals and even the packaging industry may learn to think more about the color of crockery and packaging of foods and beverages

www.sciencedaily.com...

"There is no fixed rule stating that flavour and aroma are enhanced in a cup of a certain colour or shade," recognised Piqueras-Fiszman. "In reality this varies depending on the type of food, but the truth is that, as this effect occurs, more attention should be paid to the colour of the container as it has more potential than one could imagine."

And as for coffee, the majority of those surveyed associated brown packaging to a stronger flavour and aroma, whereas reds seem to accentuate this sensation and blues and yellows make the drink seems softer.

In the articles to explains that maybe chefs, caterers, and other businesses could benefit from this discovery but I question if they didn't already know it without having scientific backing. Look at the Starbucks cup for example, it is cream, brown, and sometimes contains green. With soft drinks(pop, soda, coke, etc. what ever you region calls them) fruity flavors are generally the color of the fruit. Citrus being either yellow or green for lemon/ lime, Orange for orange, etc.

Next time you make a pot of Coffee pull out a variety of colored cups and make them the same and try it out for yourself. Maybe for you that perfect cup should be in a yellow cup instead of black.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

I don't know about anybody else, but my coffee tastes best in my ceramic Looney Tunes cup with my name printed on it. For some reason it doesn't taste quite the same out of any other cup. I think it's a Jedi mind trick.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I notice I've had my best-tasting cups in white-lined mugs with colored outsides, and my least-satisfactory cups were in a brown-lined one.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The Victorians often decorated their dinning rooms in red as they beleived it aided digestion, I would add on a personal note that morning tea seems to taste best when drunk from the blue, and white striped cornishware mugs.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1
The Victorians often decorated their dinning rooms in red as they beleived it aided digestion, I would add on a personal note that morning tea seems to taste best when drunk from the blue, and white striped cornishware mugs.

RED has been shown to stimulate appetite (re: red-checkered tablecloths in restaurants.
BLUE curbs appetite...The concept of the 'Blue Plate Special' (all you can eat), where meals in restaurants were served on BLUE plates...so patrons would eat less comes from this.

top topics

join